Glazing begins

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I felt a little lightheaded this morning, and my upper arm felt as if I’d been punched by a very small boxer. Those symptoms have passed, but I am prepared for more of a hit over the come day or three. I always expect the worst - I think it’s the depression - so when the worst doesn’t happen it’s all to the good.

77F9F4CB-1320-4115-9636-4FA32F345509.jpeg

And so, while Test Match Special desperately padded time while the England vs New Zealand first test was rained off, I began glazing coaches.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
71D76020-AAD8-4E74-80C5-D4F569A3549B.jpeg

Various stickers still need to go on glazing, and various finger marks and glue spots also need to be tidied. The WC glazing pleases me. It’s just plastic binder pocket material glued behind the window.

I realised, as I glued the last bits of glazing in, I had intended to satin varnish the bodies. So, change of plan is the gloss will get toned down by careful weathering. I actually like them all shiny. There must be something wrong with me.

paulc

Western Thunderer
Hi Heather, is the glazing glass or a plastic ? Either way you've done a great job .
Cheers Paul

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Hi Heather, is the glazing glass or a plastic ? Either way you've done a great job .

It’s a plastic. I don’t know what it is, as there’s no branding on the protective sheets. Larry G put me on to it, and I am very glad he did. It’s a lot simpler to use than the microscope slide glass, although it’s a good deal thicker of course. The real glass will still find a place in builds, but for the huge corridor windows in these coaches I think it would be asking for trouble.

paulc

Western Thunderer
Hi Heather , I agree about the corridor windows and their fragility which was my reason for asking as they looked too clear to be a plastic . I may have to see if Larry can tell me what type of plastic it is , i doubt if the brand would be available here in Australia .
Cheers Paul

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
i doubt if the brand would be available here in Australia .

I just looked it up. It’s PETG, so it may well be available in Oz. I'm using the 20thou material.

I didn’t mention the vendor here, because I’m not entirely sure he would appreciate it. Happy to offer the details via PM, though.

Class and non-smoking stickers

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
A4139DF1-234E-411D-8058-1F2339DCAA41.jpeg

They really wanted you to be utterly certain what the class of the compartment was into which you were clambering. I did check numerous photos, and this does appear to be correct.

D98CB3D9-DAC0-4FAA-8441-E71C83BD815A.jpeg

The corridor side is simpler, with just the first class branding centrally in the large windows, aligned above the handrail. The question, though, was branding carried over to the internal divider glazing? I’ve assumed the No Smoking was.

I just need to glue in the CK compartment assembly and this coach will be done. The three brakes will follow in due course.

2-Bil

Western Thunderer
Hi HK...... according to the drawings in the 1959 "British Railways lettering/lining of coaching stock" First class compartments ( corridor side) had totems on left hand windows AND sliding doors.The document (re post 316) is on the Barrowmoremrg.co site if you're inclined to check it out.Hope the info is of use..................Respects etc Brian W

phileakins

Western Thunderer
That 4MT looks superb. Had to post this picture, hope you don't mind. It lives just down the hill from me, this was taken last week:

IMG20210509114201 by terry.howlett, on Flickr

I was able to take quite a few close ups too, for when I build one!

The coaches are coming along superbly.

Terry

80104 is now out of ticket and is currently stored in the up sidings at Swanage pending its removal. Better hurry up Terry!

Have you joined us yet?

Phil.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
A gentle day, listening to the test match final day.

FDBB5729-4D9A-4D1B-9743-533E86900CE2.jpeg

The brake compo is now glazed and lettered. It’s difficult to capture, but when I decided to glaze the compartments I hoped to get some nice reflections back and forth. It worked. At just the right angle you see the handrails reflected nicely.

A8614499-E94A-49B3-A39D-6E0D54B1B1CC.jpeg

ED407BB3-2F5D-4F69-AAB8-C15E406F8509.jpeg

Larry will be pleased to know I have sufficient spare totems to do the compartments properly. I’ll need to go back and revisit the CK because I have now placed the No Smoking stickers too high to let the totems sit in the correct place.

I’d like to say the whole glazing thing is tedious. It’s not an enjoyable game, but preparing by measuring the various apertures helps a lot. Having something to occupy the mind, like favourite tunes or TMS burbling away in the background helps.

No matter how hard I look, I can’t find evidence of security bars on the van doors. With the roofs detachable, such things can be retrofitted of course.

I wonder if Fox would be open to the suggestion they should print the totems and NoSmo stickers in reverse so they go inside the window. CPL transfers are set up to do that, and it makes quite a difference.

Attachments

• 11326A98-1111-4CE5-AF2F-AF7834888145.jpeg
    11326A98-1111-4CE5-AF2F-AF7834888145.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited: