7mm On Heather's Workbench - North Eastern interlude

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Why didn’t I find @Rob Pulham 's prototype thread for that coach here?

No matter, I’ve found the society's Flickr gallery for 3669, and it shows the seats use the fawn rep covering. That is the same pattern as the red rep I’ve seen elsewhere, so that useful to know.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
FA814EF5-0343-4D01-9B32-06BDF6A65026.jpeg

That Precision Paint Quick Air Drying Thinners is a marvel. At ambient room temperature (about 20°C if you must know), the finish was touch dry in a couple of hours. I did a quick blow over this morning to fill in areas missed during yesterday's session - such as shadows cast by the beading that I didn’t spot originally. The masking is off now, outside at least, and I’ll let the bodies sit here for a day or so before I do anything further. The next job will be painting the ends black.

More interiors stuff, I think.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Heather,

I suggest that the most thorough restoration, so far, of a Gresley wreck into a gorgeous carriage is the brake third no. 3669. The coach is part of the teak set on the NYMR... and was restored off-site which may explain why there is a superb blog of the restoration progress. There are photos of the new seating moquette.

regards, Graham

Hi Graham,

3669 is now resident at Kirkby Stephen East Station, and looks to remain so for the foreseeable future.

Seat patterns

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Heather, the Eastern region seem to have been quite content to continue with several of the earlier LNER patterns - presumably on the principal that only spanking new stock would carry the new fabrics designed especially for them?!

LNER C5b on time 8-94 - this coach GE16631E - is still rotting, now at Ongar - 2014.jpg

Many years ago, when I did the sketches for this pic, the coach was quietly rotting in a siding, and although most of the interior had been ripped out, four complete seats remained in situ - complete with the extremely badly damaged and faded fabric that was clearly still fitted when the coach (in lined Maroon) was withdrawn! I was able to remove a small fragment that included a protected section from underneath a squab.

LNER Tollerton 1.jpg

Further extensive research - including at the NRM - revealed that this pattern; "Tollerton", was very widely used across the LNER and Eastern Region. Oddly, none of the carriage restoration groups have ever mentioned it - or indeed seem to have even heard of it?!

I produced some deliberately simplified artwork - by tracing off the surviving section, and filling in the gaps from photographs, for a Love Lane project.

LNER Tollerton 6 This pattern repeat is 19 x 12.75 inches.jpg

The colour will need mucking about with and bumping up quite a bit for a workable print off - I think ours came out far too light as it happened, but never mind!

The section drawn is the repeat pattern, times four - the total scale size of the above image is 19 inches by 12 and three quarter inches.

I do hope you might find this useful, if not for the current commission, but any others that might come your way?

If anyone else would like to have a go with it as well, then please feel free!...

Pete.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Thanks Peter. I am keen to try the same trick I used on the Maunsells earlier, so information about seat coverings and various patterns is always useful.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
1623-32

"Flying Scotsman" was the one I was taken with. I’m afraid Flickr seems to have broken their sharing option, so you’ll have to click through to see it.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Mike, thank you for the seat patterns. I will use them as inspiration for my own recreations. I am warming to the idea of both third class coaches having different patterns…

Interior small parts detailing

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
169AE5E0-483B-454F-9F88-10D8F803C46A.jpeg

Small parts painting under way. Right at the back you can see four label clips, which really should have been attached to the brakes before they got painted. Never mind. I’m always doing silly things like that.

I have also checked my transfer stash and I’m pleased to report I have sufficient branding for the guard doors without needing to order any more! A bit later, I’ll confirm the coach numbers I plan to use.

As well as printing seat coverings, I’m considering doing the same for the compartment dividing walls. A suitable image of varnished teak veneer will look okay, and I could even include the picture frames. I shall think further on this.

paulc

Western Thunderer
Great job on these coaches and i don't know why i never thought of using clothes pegs for holding stuff when painting and letting it dry . I'm off to do a bit of raiding .

simond

Western Thunderer
Wooden clothes pegs, and aluminium hair clips are vital parts of my armoury. I have a slaters kit box inside the drawer of my workbench which is filled with a mixture.

the ally clips are easily formed to suit all sorts of holding tasks. Typical prices seem to be a couple of quid for a box of fifty. I use the “double prong” type, but there are several varieties. Hairdressers’ supplies or www. And if you have an old tile, and a carbide drill, drill a few holes in the tile and bend the legs of the grips to hold stuff whilst soldering, or even silver soldering.

wooden pegs can likewise be sawn & filed to suit particular jobs. You can also take them apart, and reassemble them so the long ends are sprung together and the fat ends become the “handles”, which is also useful.

Whilst you’re at the hairdressers supply shop, polythene squirty bottles, misting spray, waxing spatulae, and maybe even postiche…

and a box of wooden coffee stirrers means you’re never searching for something to mix glue or paint!