On Sandy's Workbench (Ace A3)

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
That looks like one of the (in)famous etched backheads, Sandy. Am I right, and did you use it? Were there any formers for firebox and boiler, and was there a firebox front? What did you buy in to enable completion of the model, because it looks super, so whatever the answers, congratulations and well done? I look forward to seeing the painted article.

You'd not fancy finishing a "K" for me, would you? No, thought not.....:)

Brian

Sandy Harper

Western Thunderer
Yes, I used the etched backhead, No formers or firebox front included. The only 'after market' item I used was a Laurie Griffin casting for the slide bars/cross head and piston as the etched offering is impossible to construct, even if I could work out how it goes together!

And finally, no chance, you're on your own on that one!!

Good luck

Sandy

Sandy Harper

Western Thunderer
I am taking a short break from gluing the 'plastic box' to complete the ACE A3.

The lining and cab side number transfers have been added from the Fox range and the splasher beading and valance will be lined out in 'Precision Lining Orange' using a offset lining pen, There is still some detail painting to be completed, but the end is in sight!

DSCN3694.JPG

Regards
Sandy

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Hi Sandy.

If I may say - a brilliant job - and I say this as a fellow Ace sufferer. My "K" is stalled at the moment until the decorating inside the house is completed, but I am building up my reserves of strength ready to do battle, hopefully in the New Year. Yours just proves that a silk purse can be made....etc etc. I suspect that it was the same experience as mine - somewhere in the etchings and castings is a good kit trying to get out!

Of course, the kit gods will strike just as I finish, and a good kit for the "K" will suddenly appear on the horizon.......

Brian

Sandy Harper

Western Thunderer
Hi Sandy.

If I may say - a brilliant job - and I say this as a fellow Ace sufferer. My "K" is stalled at the moment until the decorating inside the house is completed, but I am building up my reserves of strength ready to do battle, hopefully in the New Year. Yours just proves that a silk purse can be made....etc etc. I suspect that it was the same experience as mine - somewhere in the etchings and castings is a good kit trying to get out!

Of course, the kit gods will strike just as I finish, and a good kit for the "K" will suddenly appear on the horizon.......

Brian

Thanks Brian, It still not right and a close inspection will find all sorts of faults that I have managed to cover up or disguise. Still it looks like an A3 so I am happy with it, but never again!!

Regards
Sandy

Sandy Harper

Western Thunderer
Just to tidy this thread up, and to answer my last question, no it did not go well!

I found that the wire I used, to restrain the rear swing of the bogie, was too stiff so I replaced it with a wire of a smaller diameter.

The spring wires on the pair of centre axles on the tender were also too strong but I just needed to bend them back a bit to get the right tension and finally I had a short between the centre driving wheels and the inside of the wheel splashers. I got around this by putting packing between the chassis and the footplate.

Further test proved faultless and the glazing and back head were finally installed completing the build.

Regards
Sandy

Last edited: