4mm Polsarrett: BR(S) N Cornwall Clay, The Final Countdown

simond

Western Thunderer
Backscene makes a massive difference. I guess that’s to be expected.

I think I prefer the arrangement with the double row shed and the pitched roof (boiler house?) in the corner

did clay drys have boiler houses?

Atb
Simon

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Backscene makes a massive difference. I guess that’s to be expected.

I think I prefer the arrangement with the double row shed and the pitched roof (boiler house?) in the corner

did clay drys have boiler houses?

Atb
Simon

The clay works generally made one or both of either:
  • The dried slabs of clay which were transported in covered open wagons
  • Finely graded clay powered put in bags and transported in vans.
The big on-scene dries produces the clay slabs. Behind the dries would be settling ponds into which the liquid clay arrives. Excess water is removed and the sludgier clay placed on a heated floor in the top level of the dries. When dried, the clay is cut into slabs and then tossed or tipped on to the lower level for loading into wagons.

For the powdered clay, it seems to be conveyed into a hopper in the upper level of a building and is then dropped into bags/sacks. the sacks are then loaded via a platform onto vans. By the looks of it the powder needed to be kept dry so the loading docks were often covered. The two structures I've just added are the bagging building and associated canopy.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
I'm off to Milton Keynes today. How exciting to be able to go to a model railway exhibition. Going to stock up on MEK and other solvents to feed my habit...

simond

Western Thunderer
Folkestone show today and tomorrow.

Family matters dictate that tomorrow is favorite, though any bargains at the B&B will probably have gone by then :(

Still, there will be an opportunity to drink beer after we’ve wandered around a bit, so that’s ok.

Backscene carcass installation

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
So, backscene...

I've decided to go the whole hog and get one printed on to that flexible material used for exhibition pop up stands. But I e think I noticed from other layouts is that it's too flexible when installed and either moves as things (people) pass or doesn't sit flat and catches the light wrong.

So, I'm going to put something solid behind it.

On the way back from GETS yesterday I popped in to Hobbycraft and bought some mounting board as well as some more foam board. I've cut some formers for the mounting board and stuck them in the corners.

Exhibit A:
IMG_20211003_123321.jpg

I've adjusted the radius so that the cut in doesn't clash with the bagging building roof. In front of that will be some more mounting board.

Exhibit B:
IMG_20211003_132216.jpg
(Note I've finally found a use for GWR locos - they are good for gauging purposes)

This has no problem curving down to the 130mm radius. In the space behind the mounting board I'm going glue a layer of foamboard. Hopefully this sandwich, with the photo backscene in front will be lightweight and durable.

GrahameH

Western Thunderer
I understand your concerns Mr. Pencarrot however I am slightly worried about the durability of the formers. Foamboard is a pretty rigid material ( what thickness are you going to use ? ) and I do hope that the sandwich construction works well for you.
If it looks like it may get a bit of abuse ( not from me honest ! ) perhaps you'd consider using "Liteply" ?
I purchased some sheets recently, only 3mm thick but I reckon they will be ideal for such situations.

G

p.s. I hope you used you card to get the discount !
I had a voucher from them yesterday for my b'day...... yey ! Well £5 is more stuff waiting to be bought.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Belated merry birthday Gbloke.

Durability of the formers?! All they are there for is something to push the curved card against. They did get a couple of coats of PVA so should be stiffer than just card.

At the other end you can see how the sandwich is working:

IMG_20211003_160547_1.jpg
Card at the front on the right, foamboard behind and the formers in the corner. There's a gap between scenery and the card and that's for the photo backscene to slot down. That took a while to do!

T'other end is done and seems to be good enough for the purpose it has. Not as solid as timber obviously.

IMG_20211003_160242_1.jpg

The formers at this end are still drying from their coats of PVA.
IMG_20211003_160234.jpg

jonte

Western Thunderer
Glad you reached a viable solution , Chris. The PVA covered formers with backscene attached will be as tough as old boots! The egg box type construction helps too.

All very neat.

Jonte

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Glad you reached a viable solution , Chris. The PVA covered formers with backscene attached will be as tough as old boots! The egg box type construction helps too.

All very neat.

Jonte

Cheers chap.

Whilst it obviously won't put up much of a fight with an errant hammer, I think it will be tough enough. The rear of the curve is also coated in PVA, so that should help too.

IMG_20211003_163653.jpg