1/32 Putting ones toe in the water!

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Hi All

Here's the Prairie in undercoat, I stated previously that I was going to spray the running plate in Clostermann Etch Primer, but having tried in first on a 64xx roof and then went for a coffee whilst it dried off. When I got back the nozzel had blocked up, so I carried on but using Car Plan grey primer.

45751.JPG

The other items I sprayed up were 'O' Gauge items, not suitable for this forum.

Dave

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
The other items I sprayed up were 'O' Gauge items, not suitable for this forum.
That is an interesting assertion - given the extremely broad church of scales / gauges / interests / blue paint of WT then I am at a loss as to what models might not be of interest to someone amongst WTers.

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
That is an interesting assertion - given the extremely broad church of scales / gauges / interests / blue paint of WT then I am at a loss as to what models might not be of interest to someone amongst WTers.

Ultra fine scale ones that never ever get finished fit the bill for me!:rolleyes:...........i'll get my coat & find my own way out:p:D

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Sorry I did mean Thread, I realise I can put the O Gauge items in one of the other Threads.

These would be a Scorpio Damo B, Springside 64XX, & the tender from a Pilgrim mogul kit, this has only taken me 25 years to get to the undercoat stage. The chassis has been finished in satin black.

I did manage to get another nozzle later on and sprayed the chassis and roof of the 64xx in the Clostermann's etched primer, it looks very good, I now remove the nozzle and soak it in cellulose gun cleaner when finished.

Dave

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Hi All

I've now sprayed the Prairie running plate in black with a satin finish but how made the beginners mistake of spraying the buffer beams as well!!:headbang: Question what can I use to take the black acrylic off and leave the cellulose grey primer on underneath?

Dave

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
Acetone may remove the acrylic without removing the cellulose. but you could just brush on a couple of thin coats of light grey over the black and then add the red.

OzzyO.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Hi Dave, I have been
Hi All

I've now sprayed the Prairie running plate in black with a satin finish but how made the beginners mistake of spraying the buffer beams as well!!:headbang: Question what can I use to take the black acrylic off and leave the cellulose grey primer on underneath?

Dave

Hi Dave I have been using Meths to remove acrylic without any problems - I would suggest dipping a brush in meths and going gently as I find that a cotton bud tends to be a bit heavy and it might touch the cellulose.

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Hi Dave, I have been

Hi Dave I have been using Meths to remove acrylic without any problems - I would suggest dipping a brush in meths and going gently as I find that a cotton bud tends to be a bit heavy and it might touch the cellulose.

Hi Rob

Thanks for the reply, I've got a drop of meths I use for transfers so I'll give it a go. I'll let you know how I get on.

Dave

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob

Thanks for the reply, I've got a drop of meths I use for transfers so I'll give it a go. I'll let you know how I get on.

Dave

I had a go with the meths today, it didn't touch the black paint so I decided to strip it back to the brass finish. This I managed to do without ruining any of the other surfaces. I didn't remove the paint from the rear of the buffer beams as I didn't know if they were black or red, so I left well alone on this occasion.

Would a red oxide undercoat be suitable as a undercoat for the red top coat?

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
The back of the buffer planks would normal be black, for the undercoat for the front of the buffer plank I'd use a light grey.

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
The back of the buffer planks would normal be black, for the undercoat for the front of the buffer plank I'd use a light grey.

Thanks for the reply Ozzy, I have some Railmatch LMS Freight Grey, would that be OK or did you mean something even lighter.

Dave.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Hello David,

one problem is what colour is LMS grey? The sort of grey colour that I'm thinking about is about Halford's grey primer. That will cover the black and leave you with a nice base colour to start adding the red to.

I think LMS grey is the grey they used for wagons it's quite close to Halfords primer, maybe a little lighter.

Good info on the cleaners.

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
I think LMS grey is the grey they used for wagons it's quite close to Halfords primer, maybe a little lighter.

Good info on the cleaners.

Sorry my reply was a bit tongue in cheek as the old M.R. used a mix of paint for repainting wagons called (bu99er I've forgotten [Smudge?]). That could be any where from almost white to almost black. It was just a mix of any paint in the wagon works at the time a wagon came in for work or repainting.
But new build were painted in the correct light grey. I think that brake vans were as well.

OzzyO.

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Hi All

Thanks for the replies, I've already stripped the paint from the Buffer Beams back to brass, and painted two internal cabs roof in LMS freight grey to see what they comes out like. Then I'll decided whether it looks right for the BB.

Any suggestions as to what red to use for the BB?

Maybe there should have been a separate topic for US cleaners like there is on RMWeb and the GOG forums! I know it is easily to get carried away from the main topic.

Dave

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Hi All

I finally ended up spraying all three roofs with Clostermann's black etched primer (I didn't like the colour or the finish of the LMS freight grey) and the underside with white matt acrylic paint. So would it be OK just to spray a satin varnish on top of the Clostermann or does it require a top coat of satin black first.

Changing the subject for a moment, for the first time since I joined the GOG I shall miss Telford this year, we will be in Canada for 4 weeks touring Nova Scotia in a 38' RV with my sister in law and her husband. I'm really gutted. For the last two years I've taken part in the Sunday display of GWR engines, complete with a certificate signed by Nick Dunhill! Telford would have been another chance to meet up with the WT members again, as we did last year.

Dave