1/32 Python P14's

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
More work completed on P14's 1 & 2.

On P14 (1) both ends now have had their Hips details added and then under coated, followed with one coat of top coat.
Both vehicles have got end stops fitted on the Buffer Beams, (I've left one unpainted so you can see them clearly) and etched Lamp brackets. The Hinges, rivets & Lamp Brackets can be seen in post #12 on Page 1
No.1 also has etched door hinges fitted.

Next job is to add Zinge Industries rivets to the sole bars where needed before painting them black.
P14 1 & 2 End Views_1.jpg

P14 1 & 2 End Views_2.jpg

P14 1 & 2 Side Views.jpg

P14 2 Door hinges fitted.jpg

Dave

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
I realised I could only get so far in producing detailing items with my Silhouette Cameo 4. Adding them to the body works fine but as for the Brake gear then HIPS is just not ridged enough, even laminating several layers together didn't work. I didn't fancy scratch building all the parts that make up the brake gear so I bought myself a 3D Printer in January.

This is an Voxelab Aquiler X2 which is a clone of the Creality Ender 3. So a long learning curve started in how to produce small individual brake parts. My Son was using the software program Tinkercad and found it OK so I started to learn as well. This software is aimed at schools and colleges. The Slicer s/w I started was Cura which comes with the printer as does Voxelab, I din't get on with either of them and am now using Prusar which works very well.

I also wish to thank John Lewis (HMRS GWR Wagon & Coaches Steward) for his help in providing Photos, Drawings and Sketches of parts.

So first up is a photo of the printer having just printed 4 Brake Trusses.

3D Printer & Brake Trusses.jpg

I am lucky in have a set of photos of the underneath brake parts of the P19 Python at Didcot. In Tinkercad you manipulate shapes to create the ones you require, there is no drawing facility at all. I did download a check out Fusion 360 but that is even a longer learning curve.

There are several GWR vehicles like the Pythons that have Clasp Brakes ie shoes on both side of the wheels. Mink A,C,D Beetles, all Toads, several Fruit vans most of the DD's & the EE2.

So the photos I'm adding are purely of the clasp brakes. I still have to the produce the DCIII brake parts except for the ends off set brake leaver hangers.

To make it easier to identify the individual parts I've printed them in Yellow at one end and Black at the other end (final colour).

As can be seen here there are 14 items to each wheelset with the long pull rod.

P14 (1) _2.jpg

P14 (1) _4.jpg

P14 (1) _3.jpg

This is just to show the Long Rods Support Brackets. Final ones will be black.

Dave

Last edited:

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
I have replaced two of the photos in my previous post as I have found out that the V bracket was the wrong way up.
These are to protect the long pull rods from hitting the track should they break loose.

Dave

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Just finished going through this build thread really nice work. Interesting to hear about using the Silhouette cameo 4 cutter. I am gathering that HIPS is High impact polystyrene?

Michael

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Hi Michael, yes that's what it stands for with the S for sheet, HIPS was easier to spell than polystyrene at the time.

Thank you for your comments, still some way to go yet I've only been working on both of them for about a year! Too many other things get in the way.

Dave

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
I have made some progress on the P14's in the last few months, usually not a lot of modelling get done in the Summer month. I did attend the G1MRA's 75 Anniversary as a demonstrator with the P14's to show that G1 can be relatively cheap to be in. So prior to the show I spent quite some time getting the Pythons into some sort of presentable state.

So both have now been painted and transfers fitted, DCIII brake gear fitted to one and Vac & Steam fitting fitted to the other. So some photos of progress so far. more coming up shortly!

P14 (1) _1.jpg

Dave

Last edited:

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Continuing on from my last post the windows have all been fitted now. 3 more photos 2 of the ends and 1 of the middle.

P14 (1) _3 Short Rod End.jpg

Vac & Steam fittings now added to the ends. End steps which are two items 3D printed. The pipes for the Vac & Steam are of different sizes as per prototype and fixed at the ends with shrink wrap.

P14 (1) _4 Long Rod End.jpg

P14 (1) _2 Vac_Steam Pipes.jpg

All the Vac and Steam parts are are treated with Birchwood Casey (BC) which in my opinion looks more realistic than being painted black. All the LW Casting are from Ken Martin.

I'm currently working on the long steps that go under the doors. These are a mix of wood brass rod and 3D supports for the steps (as per the end steps)

I have finished one of the roofs so I'll post that shortly.

Dave

Last edited:

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Here's the photos of the roof + parts.

P14 (1) _5 Roof parts.jpg

The top item comes with the kit and is flexible to bend round the roof bars. The item below is Calico with the cut outs for the roof bars.

P14 (1) _6 Roof Underside.jpg

P14 (1) _7 Roof Topside.jpg

The Calico was attached with 3M Spray Mount and then painted with two coats of Reeves Acrylic Medium Grey. This is available in a 75mm tube.

Dave

mswjr

Western Thunderer
Nice work, following with great interest, I have made a python, A ken west kit, I did not get on with the roof that was supplied, I think it was a little short, I used coffee stirrers, stuck down onto the inner framework then covered them as you have with material, and it looks good. Then you have so many coffer stirrers remaining. as they come in large quantities, so you have to make another wagon to use them up.

isambardme

Western Thunderer
Ken West has been very good in supplying a replacement longer roof on the odd occasion that one is needed. I am very pleased to note that he is still supplying his kits, I spoke to him recently at a show. It's great that he is still producing kits that give people a very good intro to making Gauge 1 wagons, vans etc at a very reasonable price, that can be superdetailed to suit the owner's requirements.
I certainly admire the work in producing these excellent models, but personally, I think that especially with outside running in Gauge 1, there is some merit in Peter Spoerer's comment that the more you add under a vehicle, the more there is to come off at inconvenient times. For an inside G1 layout, it is a different matter of course.
Steve

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
I have said previously that these were Ken’s kits. He was at the Bicester show and I did talk to him at length.
He told me his son didn’t wish to continue selling the KW range so ken is back selling his products again.

I was also able to show him the P14 that I took to the show. He also told me that he has altered the windows on the P19 after I had pointed it out to him that they were too long. He is a difficult person to get in touch with and shows seems to be the best way.

Thank you both for your comments.
Dave

hrmspaul

Western Thunderer
But that didn't come with a copyright exemption. The little black dots along the top frame of the photo show where the information has been trimmed off. Not the only photo used in this topic which haven't any acknowledgement of origin.

Paul