1/32 Python P14's

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
In Parallel with the 10mm Cattle Wagon I've now started on one of two Ken West Siphon C Kits.
Two photos with what you get in the kits, photo three is the chassis assembled and glued.

Siphon C Kit_1.jpg
Siphon C Kit_2.jpg
Siphon C Kit_3.jpg

All the W Irons axle boxes & draw gear I shall aquire from Ken Martin, Wheels will be from Walsall Models (3' 6") Corner plates and hinges from Tenmille. Buffers from NMRS.

Dave

Keith Phillips

Western Thunderer
I shall enjoy watching the progress of the build. I have a number of adhesive wheel balancing weights if you would like some for this or future builds? I can bring them to the AGM.

David Halfpenny

Western Thunderer
DAVE,
DON'T GO TO THE FOSSE ON SATURDAY !

Go to Stoneleigh Park, Warwick Hall - and pop by the 1:32 Finescale stand.

I'll be collecting a couple of Siphon G kits there, so I'm really appreciative of your Thread on the C's.

Thanks, David 1/2d

MarkR

Western Thunderer
Hi David

I don't model in 1/32nd scale, but do like Siphon G's!

Who produces the kit?

Many thanks

Mark

David Halfpenny

Western Thunderer
Ken West lasers very basic body-only kits from MDF.
He's been doing Outside and Inside framed Siphon Gs in 10mm scale for £35 a pop.
An article in the current G1MRA Journal covers the detailing of Ken's kits, including a Siphon G:
Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 15.52.59.jpg
but as to sourcing the gubbins, Ken just says 'Walsall', which doesn't work for everything you might need.​

I've asked Ken to scale the Inside Frame one down to 1:32 (for a spoof ambulance train ~ hey if Bachmann can do it . . . ).

Siphon WD Olive.jpg
I don't know whether he's rescaled the Outside Framed one.

If you are interested in any scale other than G1 I'd urge caution, because while the laser lines are scalable, the MDF isn't !.

Incidentally I got a good-enough Inside Frame diagram (not a full works drawing) from HMRS.
Their website is no longer even on Life Support - best to email the hapless Sales Geezer who's very helpful.​

David

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
I just received today Etches for my Siphon C's from Tenmille Products. These were for their Siphon G and are the corner brakets, Strapping Parts & Lamp Brackets code number G154E. On their G172E are the replacement hinges (these were w/m previously) and the following.
Small V Hanger for Brake Lever, Large V Hanger for Brake Cylinder, End Steps, Brake Levers, Door Locks, Coupling Hook Reinforcing Plate, Brake Lever Ratchet & Centre Brake Cylinder Lever,

This should save a lot of Scratch making. I will be at the G1MRA show on Saturday with these parts for anyone who wishes to view them. I will leave them on the Finescale table for viewing only!! I shall also have with me a selection of the plastic rivets that Jim Smith used on the models he wrote about in the latest NL & Journal.

Dave

Last edited:

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
I shall enjoy watching the progress of the build. I have a number of adhesive wheel balancing weights if you would like some for this or future builds? I can bring them to the AGM.
Hi Keith
I replied to you message via my email acc, did you get the reply? The answer was yes please if they wiil fit Walsall's 3'6" disc wheels.

I'll PM you my Mob. phone number so we can meet up some time during the day.

Dave

Keith Phillips

Western Thunderer
Hi Dave, just to clarify the weights are for car / bike wheels. They will go in the van bodies as per my Slaters van build. I'll see you there, at Stoneleigh.

Keith

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Hi Dave, just to clarify the weights are for car / bike wheels. They will go in the van bodies as per my Slaters van build. I'll see you there, at Stoneleigh.

Keith
Sorry Keith I think I got my wires crossed, I thought you were talking about the inserts that were fitted to disc wheels.
Where as you were referring to car wheel balance weighs.

Dave

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
It was nice to meet up with Keith Phillips & David Halfpenny at Stoneleigh Park last Saturday. And thank you Keith for the strips of weights.
Here's a photo of the tenmille products etches that I shall be adding to Ken West's Siphon C. I noted that the corner plates are short of a rivet, I shall attempt to add one of the plastic ones I've just bought. I'll add a photo of the rivets later.

G165E & G172E.jpg

1mm and 1.5mm Plastic Rivets.jpg

These are 1mm 'Dome & Hex headed' 175 on each block and £2 each
Front row 1.5mm same heads as the 1mm but only 100 per block & also £2 each
Ball Bearings.jpg

Having seen Ken Martin's CCT's rolling on these bearing I thought I'll have some of that.
Details on the pack, Price £13.13 inc P & P from HK. (snowspitzshop.com)

I shall fit these to both my Siphon C's & my 3 Pythons and have a lot left over.

Dave

Last edited:

Keith Phillips

Western Thunderer
Pleasure to meet up with you too, Dave. Thanks for taking the time to explain a few bits and pieces and for showing me those Zings rivet and bolt heads. I enjoyed the show very much and feel inspired to get on and finish the Slaters van and then move on to the GWR brake van before attempting my first scratch build.

Kind regards, Keith

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Pleasure to meet up with you too, Dave. Thanks for taking the time to explain a few bits and pieces and for showing me those Zings rivet and bolt heads. I enjoyed the show very much and feel inspired to get on and finish the Slaters van and then move on to the GWR brake van before attempting my first scratch build.

Kind regards, Keith
Keith the rivets were from Zinge Industries Preston, just in case you are going to order any.
Dave

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Hi all
Update so far, it turns out the two Siphon C's I've assembled are 10mm ones not 1/32 scale. So I shall be getting new ones from Ken West in due course, I shall sell the two I've made, luckly I didn't start adding any metal work.

Ken is going to redraw the C's as the diag o9 version which were 8' 6" wide. So in the meantime I shall make a start on the two P14 Pythons.
Dave

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
The two Siphon C's I put together will be going to a new owner on Wednesday hopefully. I've moved onto the 2 P14's as show above. On closer inspection with an original photo from Paul Bartlett they have some descrepancies, the 6 strapping plates on the side are not 4 holes only three. The two next to the doors should be right next to the bottom hinge, and 10 extra rivet holes.
When I've finished one side I'll add a photo, meanwhile here's a photo of the hardware I bought at Stoneleigh Park show, with the exception on the buffers which I already sourced earlier. The brass items are all from Ken Martin.
Python Hardware_1.jpg
I've added the before and after with the Screwlink couplings, I've lightly treated the finished ones with a 25% mix of Birchwood Casey and water.
The axle boxes will be opened out to take the the 5mm dia. roller bearings.
Dave

Last edited:

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Here's a photo of side 1 model 1 of progress so far.
6 strapping made of nickel silver and 10 holes drilled and filled with the 1.2mm hex headed plastic rivits. Squadron white putty is not easy to use as it dries out as soon as it touches the model, even thinning it down with nail varnish remover!! And I only lost one of the rivets somewhere on the carpet.
I have to find some more 2mm strapping before I can continue.
P14_Model1_1.jpg

Dave

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Having looked at a photo of the prototype I've changed my opinion as to where the second strapping from the left is, in the photo above It's correct in relation to the the windows but wrong in the number of planks from the left. So I'm leaving it where it is.
Here's a photo of the prototype No. W556.

Python P14.jpg
Now there something to compare with but still a long way to go i:e handles, door stops & ticket pouch.
Dave

Last edited: