Lancashire & Yorkshire Locomotives - QCAD and Fusion 360

lankytank

Western Thunderer
Ian

If you're suffering from 'lockdown' blues - perhaps if you could have a look at the Aspinall 0-6-0 saddletank (rebuild of the B-W 0-6-0's) - trying to work up some enthusiasm for one in G3. :thumbs:

Take care.

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
Hi Barry,

Hope the two of you are doing well. Lockdown Blues ? Hmmm, there might be a song there. I already have a couple of the 0-6-0ST's as MM1 models produce them (ex-JLTRT, ex-MM, ex-Chowbent, in that order I believe). They have very nice crisp resin cast boiler/tanks ;). I can see one having cast rivets filed off though as the kit only provides for those locos rebuilt with 4 panel tanks.

Ian

lankytank

Western Thunderer
Yes, Ian. Both of us are a ducking and a weaving.

I've lost count of the ones I've built in 7mm - in fact, somewhere, in a box....., in a cupboard...., in a Galaxy far, far away...… I 've still got a couple (ex Chowbent) that aren't too far off the painting stage. Will have to dig them out & give them a coat of looking at.

As commented, I'm looking to twist John Taylor's (Midnight Miller) arm to get the flat works machined out, Slaters have done the wheels (that's the hard one out the way) - then 'we' get the saddletank & lumpy bits 3D printed - Bob's yer Firkin Mrs Perkin...…!!! Easy, when you type it fast.

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
Rainy Thursday afternoon spent working on the 0-8-0 again.

upload_2020-8-27_18-17-11.png

Two types of crank, the balanced type as fitted to locomotives from Lot 66 onwards (as far as I can ascertain) and possibly others, and an oblique crank axle to which there is no current confirmed evidence of it being used at all on any of the post 1913 builds, for which the original drawing is dated.

Ian

Attachments

• upload_2020-8-27_17-13-25.png
    upload_2020-8-27_17-13-25.png
    400.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Mike W

Western Thunderer
That take-off on the connecting rod for the Joy valve gear is very near to the little end? The LNWR versions were much closer to the centre of the rods. The Anchor Link must be very short - is the hole for the front end of it on your drawing yet?

Mike

Brian McKenzie

Western Thunderer
Hi Ian,

I was interested to see the alternative crank axle arrangement in your Class 31 0-8-0 QCAD work. Don't know whether this design saw much use in Britain, but was used once in New Zealand for a ponderous 4-8-2 subsequently limited to 30mph.

The cross section of the angled lump between the two cranks was square in shape.

This 15 second animation shows its unusual gait:

Brian McK.

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
That take-off on the connecting rod for the Joy valve gear is very near to the little end? The LNWR versions were much closer to the centre of the rods. The Anchor Link must be very short - is the hole for the front end of it on your drawing yet?

Mike

Mike,

Good spot. I've just noticed an error on my part with the connecting rod overall length. I also noticed an incorrect dimension for the balanced crank too, so all now correct.

upload_2020-8-28_0-32-4.png

Ian

Last edited:

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
Hi Ian,

I was interested to see the alternative crank axle arrangement in your Class 31 0-8-0 QCAD work. Don't know whether this design saw much use in Britain, but was used once in New Zealand for a ponderous 4-8-2 subsequently limited to 30mph.

The cross section of the angled lump between the two cranks was square in shape.

This 15 second animation shows its unusual gait:

Brian McK.

Brian,

The LYR oblique crank is also square in section between where the two connecting rods would be.

Interesting to learn the X class was the worlds first 4-8-2 tender design.

Ian

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
A few more hours work, after taking a break from fighting with the front end of a motor train fitted SR H class, which is being repaired.

upload_2020-8-28_23-0-35.png

There does seem to be a discrepancy in the drawing for the large cab locomotives, as above, as the vertical handrail on the cab side is given as being 3.5 inches in from the end of the cab side sheet, but this doesn't line up with it's position on the drawing relative to the frames and the windows. Something to hopefully investigate if we ever get back to being able to book Search Engine at the NRM.

Ian