Railway Jigsaw Puzzles

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
I have to admit that a great way to spend time on rainy days is to select a jigsaw and start piecing it together. It is a family thing and anyone is welcome to walk by and add a piece or two or more. Recently the Ashtons have completed two railway puzzles:

The first is "Living Legends", a 500 piece puzzle from a painting by Barry Freeman:

IMG_0286.jpeg

Both locos have some personal history, the Jinty was my first Gauge O kit build (Connoisseur Kit) while City of Truro keeps popping up - first seen at Moor Street on display in 1960, then at York and finally at Toddington where it replaced a 9F for my Fire and Drive experience.

The second is a real favourite, "Summer Saturday at Snow Hill", a 1000 piece puzzle from a painting by Philip Hawkins:

IMG_0651.JPG

I also have a signed print of Summer Saturday at Snow Hill. This puzzle rates 9 out of 10 on a scale of difficulty, even the border pieces got mixed up. While doing the puzzle I realized that there are three young trainspotters in the picture, I had only noticed two of them before. The two locomotives will both be in my Moor Street roster, the Castle is no. 5070 Sir Daniel Gooch, the Large Prairie no. 4175.

Does anyone else do jigsaws?

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
The best we can offer is that the jigsaw puzzles come out at Christmas, and only occasionally am I allowed one with a railway theme. Boats/ships are quite popular though, so all is not lost.

Interestingly or not there's a chap who sets up a stand at Loughborough galas and invites passersby to add a piece or two. Very popular it is too.

Brian

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
The first is "Living Legends", a 500 piece puzzle from a painting by Barry Freeman:

Does anyone else do jigsaws?
Yes, especially those which feature the paintings of (the late) Barry Freeman. We have prints of several of Barry's paintings and try to get corresponding jigsaws.

Your "Living Legends" jigsaw appears to have been 499 pieces or are you teasing us?