2mm Railway Modeller March 2022 - TWO N gauge layouts!!

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Hi fellow WTs, just wanted to highlight this month's RM coverage of 2 lovely N gauge layouts. A Scottish theme and Lapford, Devon. Again lovely modelling and the stock on Lapford is well weathered.

As before I have no connection with Peco or RM, just an admirer of fine modelling whatever scale. Why do I get so tempted........?

All the best.

Julian

Grahame Hedges

Western Thunderer
I don't usually get or see RM but received a complimentary copy this month (as I've an article in it), so it was quite a pleasant surprise to see two good N gauge layouts in it. And there was also quite a bit of O gauge interest. Looks like RM might have broken the mould of a continuous tiresome diet of 4mm 1950s GWR BLTs. I hope they can keep up the variety.

Alan

Western Thunderer
Graham I am a subscriber to RM and I think your view of RM disappeared many years ago. There is an Ogauge layout most months and even N gauge appears reasonably often, plus they still have articles about actually making things.

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Grahame, interestingly RM even features S Scale and North Eastern at that in January. I still think it has good coverage for the average modeller.

Julian

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Hi Grahame
I like the tank wagons in your article in the “toddler” and was rather impressed by the fine scale track, I can’t remember if I have asked before but what is it?
Cheers
Julian

Grahame Hedges

Western Thunderer
I don't subscribe to any mags, but of the main four* in the UK, Railway Modeller is the one I buy the most. You should check it more often; as Alan says, that stereotype disappeared ages ago. RM even acknowledges the existence of Micro Layouts these days!!

I don't subscribe to RM but I do occasionally get to see it as a good friend of mine subscribes. Of course, over the years it has improved, probably a great deal to do with Steve Flint who I know well, but it hasn't completely shed the comforting staid old lady image - perhaps because that's what its readers like.

N/2mm is still a rarity (I understand they recently appealed for more N/2mm articles) and there does still seem to be a preponderance of GWR BLTs (maybe that is because they really are rather popular). However they have certainly upped their quota of D&E content - a welcome development - and it's still a weighty tome. And I do like their news section.

Grahame Hedges

Western Thunderer
I like the tank wagons in your article in the “toddler” and was rather impressed by the fine scale track, I can’t remember if I have asked before but what is it?

Thanks.
The wagons were photographed on a small non-operational diorama that I made many years ago. The track is code 40 kit built and it's either 2mmSA Easitrax (9.42mm gauge) or British Finescale fiNetraX (9mm gauge). Unfortunately I can't remember which and I've had a bash at both.