Magazine Re: Brm - Heljan Hymeks Etc..

BRM - Heljan Hymeks etc..

Jordan said:
Precisely why I never buy it*. If I was able to see inside before purchasing, I might be corrected in my view that it also has a strong Eastern Region Kettle bias... allegedly...  :scratch: ;)

* Aside from the fact that, like the other 'mainstream' UK mags, it is UK-outline only.

Hi Jordan,

Yes allegedly, yet I havnt really noticed such - I think it's because Tony Wright plays such a large role in the mag :scratch:

I must admit, I like some americana and indeed some of the metre gauge railways and all those years ago I used to enjoy RM when it had 'continental' layouts within.....

Yet BRM does what it says on the tin :)) :))

CME :wave:

Scale7JB said:
Is the magazine worthy of buying for the 82G DVD?

It's a great layout (when they can run it properly), but i'm just wondering how long the DVD is (in minutes, rather than Inches  :)) )

JB.

Hi :wave:

I agree, I have never seen it running properly either :scratch: :headbang: Yet a superb model :drool: :bowdown: :thumbs:

Now that Warner's decided to go in house with DVD production, there are some issues with their DVD's yet they're free so...... Anyways, err, an insider warned me that the sound aint so good - as Chris's work at Activity Media - and when they do the long shots their sound kit aint up to much, yet it's okay when focusing on the layout (if i were them I wouldnt do the long shots as the rest is really very good). The DVD is approx. 20mins long with a bit of dialogue/background and some running, with a RJH Warship moving off of shed etc, and a fair few kettles moving and in closeup...

I hope that helps with your procurement decision....

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade

Scale7JB said:
Is the magazine worthy of buying for the 82G DVD?

It's a great layout (when they can run it properly), but i'm just wondering how long the DVD is (in minutes, rather than Inches  :)) )

JB.

Some women like inches not minutes :)) :)) :)) :thumbs:

Ian

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

Got my copy today, but so far I have only looked at Steve's article  :bowdown: 8) 8) 8).........I would echo other comments about the plastic bag issue, BRM might actually sell a few more copy's if we could tell what's in the magazine .............or at least print an index on the outside to give us a clue  :scratch:

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer

Phill Dyson said:
.....I would echo other comments about the plastic bag issue, BRM might actually sell a few more copy's if we could tell what's in the magazine .....
It's been well-debated over on RMweb, even with one of the chaps (possibly the Editor?) directly involved with BRM and the 'wrapped' issue; it seems they are resolute in their decision to keep it the way it is. IIRC, they reckon sales did not rise appreciably when it was offered un-wrapped.
My own take on that is that, once it 'falls off your radar' so to speak, so that you don't bother looking for it anyway, you're unlikely to notice it on the shelves when/if it is unwrapped and possible to browse before purchase...

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

Jordan said:
It's been well-debated over on RMweb, even with one of the chaps (possibly the Editor?) directly involved with BRM and the 'wrapped' issue; it seems they are resolute in their decision to keep it the way it is. IIRC, they reckon sales did not rise appreciably when it was offered un-wrapped.
My own take on that is that, once it 'falls off your radar' so to speak, so that you don't bother looking for it anyway, you're unlikely to notice it on the shelves when/if it is unwrapped and possible to browse before purchase...

Must admit I never noticed the un-wrapped issue, as you say I've stopped looking for it. I only got this one because CME made us aware of Steve's article  :wave:

28ten

Guv'nor

I don't think we really need to go into the wrapping issue, as Jordan says it has been flogged to death elsewhere. Having said that, I have always percieved it as an ER OO mag, therefore unless they used gold plated wrapping, I would never pick it up  8)

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

28ten said:
I don't think we really need to go into the wrapping issue, as Jordan says it has been flogged to death elsewhere. Having said that, I have always percieved it as an ER OO mag, therefore unless they used gold plated wrapping, I would never pick it up  8)
That tends to assume we all read the drivel on RMweb though  ;D , anyway I don't want to open a debate  about wrapped mags either......I simply don't buy them :wave:
I don't buy any mag out of loyalty, I tend to browse the model & prototype mags & buy one or two a month with articles of interest  :scratch:

Phill Dyson said:
Got my copy today, but so far I have only looked at Steve's article  :bowdown: 8) 8) 8).........I would echo other comments about the plastic bag issue, BRM might actually sell a few more copy's if we could tell what's in the magazine .............or at least print an index on the outside to give us a clue  :scratch:

Hi Phill :wave:

Good comment well made :thumbs:

CME :thumbs:

Phill Dyson said:
Must admit I never noticed the un-wrapped issue, as you say I've stopped looking for it. I only got this one because CME made us aware of Steve's article  :wave:

Phill, that is why I did it as I know how others feel about BRM being wrapped etc.....it also helps if someone has picked up a copy and it has something of WT interest etc.

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade

Never gave the wrapped mags much thought myself only I live by the rule that if it has something of interest in it I will buy it but if I cant look before I buy I wont buy it.

Ian

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer

Phill Dyson said:
Must admit I never noticed the un-wrapped issue, as you say I've stopped looking for it.
I don't think there actually has been an unwrapped issue recently..?? My point being, that even if there was suddenly an unwrapped BRM on the shelves (intentionally, not due to vandalism!!) it would most likely go un-noticed, since the Smiffs-Browsing Auto-Pilot says "BRM = Wrapped = Ignore"... :scratch:

lancer1027

Western Thunderer

I dont bother with any of the mags unless one of you guy's inform me of something of interest :thumbs: I tend to find the mags have become very over priced and its mostly adverts :rant:

Rob :wave:

S

Simon Dunkley

Phill Dyson said:
BRM might actually sell a few more copy's if we could tell what's in the magazine
That "fact" being based on what evidence?

According to their editor, sales increase when they shrink-wrap a magazine, etc.
(Mind you, it was 6 years ago that I tackled him on this,)

S

Simon Dunkley

CME & Bottlewasher said:
It doesnt really matter - does it
No, Martin, but it wasn't me who raised the issue - it was you!
(Assuming that you are Martin.)

Simon Dunkley said:
No, Martin, but it wasn't me who raised the issue - it was you!
(Assuming that you are Martin.)

:)) :)) :)) :)) :))

Martin? It could be Eric or Jimmy?! :)) - Now where did I leave the Strat or was it the Gibson Les Paul?

Mr Tiger Viking

Western Thunderer

Hello All
Yes I am of this Manor !!  :wave:    Thanks for the kind comments about D7052 BRM have done the Hymek justice so to speak.
Bag or no bag seems to be an issue about BRM these days which prevents the free read,  however I normally find that someone at WH Smiths has removed the dreaded poly jacket and I still can have my free read, ( Sorry John E if you are reading this :-[)

Regards
Mr Tiger Viking

Mr Tiger Viking said:
Hello All
Yes I am of this Manor !!  :wave:    Thanks for the kind comments about D7052 BRM have done the Hymek justice so to speak.
Bag or no bag seems to be an issue about BRM these days which prevents the free read,  however I normally find that someone at WH Smiths has removed the dreaded poly jacket and I still can have my free read, ( Sorry John E if you are reading this :-[)

Regards
Mr Tiger Viking

Hi MTV :wave:

Congratulations on a great model and a great article :bowdown: :thumbs:

I have few questions for you if that is okay ......I will go an dig out the mag.  :scratch:

In the meantime, have you an other photos of the loco/work etc.....

Cheers,

P.S  I have found that one or two WHS' or local shops have one unwrapped also, I guess it is a double edged sword for the publishers :scratch:

Model Rail 153 - Tamper Terrific

Hi Guys :wave:

Something caught my eye in Model Rail magazine this time around.

A Mr. Tony Kunzman has submitted photos, in the mag's 'Show & Tell', of his Tamper (4mm I assume) which he has built from 2 x Lima Mk1 coaches with a Tenshodo MB, wow! is all that I can say :drool: :bowdown: :thumbs: It really looks to part, I have spent time with Tampers - I am no expert I hasten to add - and this model really captures the feel of these fascinating machines wonderfully - all in the striking Colas livery......As some seem worried about the skill base of modellers etc. such work seems, to my mind's eye, to alleviate any fears and buck the trend somewhat......all from kit bashed/moded/super-detailed plastic parts too, with no sight of any 'hairy chested model-making' using brass and other less precious metals :)) :)) :)) :bowdown: :thumbs:

There are also a couple of really nice West Highland inpsired layouts and an interesting article on the use (EM) of C&L's wooden sleeper base Timber Tracks system (by Nigel Burkin). When I made enquiries about this product there was a ? over water/wet when ballasting and unfortunately this doesnt seem to be covered off/answered in the article either. :scratch: :headbang: ........................

There is even a 2mm project layout Gullant (based on the Fowey Estuary)............

Next time, in Model Rail 154 (24th Feb), there is Westbury Cement in 2mm and a 1950's urban shunting layout in 7mm...

Enjoy! :thumbs:

ATVB,

P.S

I forgot  :headbang:  :headbang: to mention that there is also a review on the Heljan 7mm Cl 33 (Blue FYE) with a score of 84% and some comments on the cab roof shape, no mention of the over wide tanks and outboard mounted bogie springs though.....the overall dimensions (in supplied table) look to be pretty good though :thumbs: I am not sure if, when looking again, there isnt an issue with the radius on the Cant Rails too :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: despite the mould falsh present on the roof it looks good though in print with decent photos (it does make one wonder why the flash isnt removed in the factory before painting though - the old chesnut of 'additional costs' would be trotted out by Heljan et al no doubt - yet many 4mm/2mm models dont seem to suffer from such?) ..... :thumbs:

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
Model Rail 153 - Tamper Terrific

Yes, that tamper is a stunning model, I've a bit of an OTP fetish myself  ;D  I've no plans to build any in 7mm scale, as yet, but never say never.