Magazine Re: Brm - Heljan Hymeks Etc..

Model Rail 153 - Tamper Terrific

Pugsley said:
Yes, that tamper is a stunning model, I've a bit of an OTP fetish myself  ;D  I've no plans to build any in 7mm scale, as yet, but never say never.

Hi Pugsley,

Yes one would be nice, yet with a layout to build in this lifetime......as you say though never say never though :thumbs:

CME :wave:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

Traction March/April Issue

It seems silly to start a new thread, but has anyone bought a copy of this months Traction ? .
I would highly recommend it as there is quite a high Hydraulic content this month  8) 8) 8) as well as more wonderful work by Mr Richard Dockerill (one of mine & CME'S favourite builders ) in the modelling section.........in this article covers Richards build of the Steve Beattie 7mm Metrovic & what a sublime job he has made of this erm............shall we say challenging kit  :eek: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:.
Well worth the cover price of £3.95 IMO  :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Cheers Phill  :wave:

Phill Dyson said:
Traction March/April Issue

It seems silly to start a new thread, but has anyone bought a copy of this months Traction ? .
I would highly recommend it as there is quite a high Hydraulic content this month  8) 8) 8) as well as more wonderful work by Mr Richard Dockerill (one of mine & CME'S favourite builders ) in the modelling section.........in this article covers Richards build of the Steve Beattie 7mm Metrovic & what a sublime job he has made of this erm............shall we say challenging kit  :eek: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:.
Well worth the cover price of £3.95 IMO  :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Cheers Phill  :wave:

Hi Phill :wave:

I havent eye balled Traction yet - I will now though.

I was lucky enough to have a chat with Richard Dockerill about that build, he seems to get things done - very well - in a short space of time and then published quickly too :bowdown: :drool: :thumbs:

ATB,

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

CME & Bottlewasher said:

I havent eye balled Traction yet - I will now though.

I was lucky enough to have a chat with Richard Dockerill about that build, he seems to get things done - very well - in a short space of time and then published quickly too :bowdown: :drool: :thumbs:

ATB,

So far I have only seen 3 of Richards builds (Steve Beattie Class 22 , Lima Class 33 conversion & now the Metro Vic ) & they have all been stunning & on a par with anything I have seen from the likes of JLTRT........quite an achievement in my book  :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Phill  :wave:

Phill Dyson said:
So far I have only seen 3 of Richards builds (Steve Beattie Class 22 , Lima Class 33 conversion & now the Metro Vic ) & they have all been stunning & on a par with anything I have seen from the likes of JLTRT........quite an achievement in my book  :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Phill  :wave:

I agree 100% - his work gets my vote everytime.

We have the same ethos - we were taking the same line with the Lima 33's yet Richard is a quicker modeller than me, more expert too, more strength to his elbow though as his work is inspirational :thumbs: He has done nice 08's uprated Heljan 47's etc etc....he seems to turn his hand to everything - and he used to model in 2mm of course (another of my favourite layouts;- Acton Mainline)!

Model Rail No159

Hi all :wave:

Just a heads up on Model Rail this month (or is that next month's? never sure with their 13 issues pa :)))

A feature on the S&D in this issue including layouts such as Averton Hammer, Evercreech New and Cheddar along with some wonderful photos by Chris Nervard :drool: :bowdown: :bowdown: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Enjoy....

TTFN

28ten

Guv'nor
Model Rail No159

I picked up a copy today, some quite nice s&d stuff, Robert Carrolls article being the pick IMHO. Some of the other pieces such as the article on pre shading were less impressive however. Call me elitist but I  don't think I will be rushing to buy another copy any time soon  :))

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Model Rail No159

28ten said:
I picked up a copy today, some quite nice s&d stuff, Robert Carrolls article being the pick IMHO. Some of the other pieces such as the article on pre shading were less impressive however. Call me elitist but I  don't think I will be rushing to buy another copy any time soon  :))

::)............elitist  ::) ::) ::) ;D :)) :)) :))

Pennine MC

Western Thunderer
Model Rail No159

Does anybody have any thoughts on that article by Spencer Pollard in the last issue,  on weathering the JLTRT 26?  There was a lot of hype and excitement beforehand on RMweb, then after publication it all went quiet ::)

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Model Rail No159

Pennine MC said:
Does anybody have any thoughts on that article by Spencer Pollard in the last issue,  on weathering the JLTRT 26?  There was a lot of hype and excitement beforehand on RMweb, then after publication it all went quiet ::)

I quite liked some elements of the weathering, I wasn't sure about the body sides roof & bogie's though if I'm honest  :scratch:

28ten

Guv'nor
Model Rail No159

Phill Dyson said:
I quite liked some elements of the weathering, I wasn't sure about the body sides roof & bogie's though if I'm honest  :scratch:
so the cab front was ok?  :))  :))
I didnt see the issue in question so i cant comment. I hope it was better than the ex GW open in this issue  8)

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Model Rail No159

28ten said:
so the cab front was ok?  :))  :))
I didnt see the issue in question so i cant comment. I hope it was better than the ex GW open in this issue  8)
I liked the windscreens too ;D.......seriously though there were some interesting techniques  8), but I'm not sure I was convinced by the finished article  :scratch:

S

Simon Dunkley

Model Rail No159

Phill Dyson said:
I liked the windscreens too ;D.......seriously though there were some interesting techniques  8), but I'm not sure I was convinced by the finished article  :scratch:
I'm with you, Phill. Really useful ideas, and overall the results were impressive, but on the close ups some of it wasn't quite right - maybe it was the base coat of paint, which struck me as a bit orange peely?

Edit: Looked back at the article, and wondered if the windows were set too far back from the front of the frames.

Model Rail No159

28ten said:

Hi Cynric,

Overall I enjoyed it too.

I agree, George Dent's work is usually excellent (and the article/work was okay), yet I am not sure if such methods really work (on their own) in terms of railway modelling, because, IMHO, such techniques can be too much of a 'characterture' or too 'cartoon' like for my liking if applied to railway modelling - for a better example just look to Spencer Pollard's work on the JLTRT 26, which uses a whole range of techniques to superb effect (sorry Mr. Dent - although to be fair GD was only demo'ing the basics of the technique) :drool: :bowdown: :thumbs: :thumbs:.

I have seen some wonderful military models ruind by too much pre-shading/dry brushing, especially some of the figures..Horses for courses/appropriatness springs to mind for this technique.

I have explained myself better elsewhere I know, yet in short I endeavour to model my stock as the real thing would have been seen in the late 1960's/early 1970's, so using all techniques available (hardly every happy with my work on the whole - yet striving to do better) 'paint what you see, not what you think you see' is what I aim for.

Yet I do like the look of such pre-shading etc. on some of the finescale NG layouts that I have seen (Roy C Link et al.) because when done well, e.g. a gravel-pit on a 'bright summer's day' modelled using such techniques can look superb! :bowdown: :bowdown: 

I enjoyed the layouts and other stuff in MR though perhaps I am not being elistist enough :scratch: :scratch: :)) :))

Model Rail No159

Pennine MC said:

Hi Penine MC :wave:

I have spoken to Spencer on a number of occassions and he is a really great chap (he advised me which airbrush to buy) and his work is literally award winning.. :drool: :bowdown: :thumbs:

I am not a great user of RM so didnt know of the hype before the article.

When I first saw the article I, for one, was, impressed with the 26, yet not as excited as I thought that I would be. But when I went back and re-read/viewed it the next day, I then thought WOW!! :drool: :bowdown: :thumbs:

Spencer had made that Cl 26 look really mundane, workaday, so that nothing on it jarred or stood out, just as a hardworking loco should be, in short it looked real and really needed photographing in an appropriate setting.

The only slight criticism was that in the close up on the cover the cab's blue/yellow looked very slightly 'orange peel' to my eyes - yet hey who am I to criticise.

ATVB