7mm Re: Eastsidepilot's S7 work bench

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Eastsidepilot's work bench

Hi,
Thought it was about time I joined in with the other work benchers, so starting from scratch this next project is a commission for an LNER F3 2-4-2t( ex GER C32 ).
First off are plasticard patterns for use on a pantogragh miller, these are made at a ratio of 2:1, the photo shows a shot af some of them, I still have more to make yet......early days

Colin.

Attachments

• DSCF1837.JPG
    11.9 MB · Views: 65

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer

iploffy said:
Colin loads more pictures please especially of the panto graph milling

Ian

Can I second that Colin. The whole project is of great interest as I am principally an LNER modeller. :thumbs: :thumbs:

7mmMick

Western Thunderer

And a third, count me in. I too am an LNER man and i'm looking forward to the milling process  :thumbs: :thumbs:

Best reagrds Mick  :wave:

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer

Hi, and thanks for your interest, LNER fans.

Perhaps you would like  a few details about the project.
I'd already built an E4 2-4-0 tender loco for a customer in Scale 7, which was partly scratch/ part kit and before I had finished it he ordered the F3, which is the tank engine version of the E4.
As most of you are probably aware there is not a kit available for the F3, so scratch built it has to be.
I have sourced a lot of components for this loco, as a lot of them are pretty much standard GER/LNER parts, from the likes of Ragstone, Laurie Griffin etc.
The wheels were specified by the customer, Alan Harris wheels, and these are only now supplied as bare castings, so a bit of turning required.
It will also have working inside motion, components from Laurie Griffin, which is something I like to do on all my projects.
The F3 is to be in mid- late 40's cond. where as the E4 was in mid BR service.   

I will try to keep you up todate with this project, although it may be drawn out sometimes as the milling machine is at a friends house 40 odd miles from where I live, so please bear with me.
The shot below is of a test run of the frames, outside frame/valence and main frame. The main frames proper will have an oval shaped cut out between the drivers.
Also a couple of shots  of the E4. I will try and put some photo's up on the Gallery but the last time I tried I got a messge in red saying the path was not writeable, I'm not a great wiz on computers so can anybody help with that.

Colin. 

Attachments

• E4 62785 002.JPG
    8.4 MB · Views: 45
  • E4 62785 012.JPG
    7.9 MB · Views: 18
  • E4 62785 010.JPG
    8.8 MB · Views: 15
  • DSCF1842.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 25

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer

Hi lads,

Some more patterns, mounted on black plasticard, as are the others, and various castings, not all of them yet. The buffer housings need to be cleaned up and drilled to accept steel rams with springs, and the wheels will need turning.
Nearly there !

Colin.

Attachments

• DSCF1847.JPG
    11.6 MB · Views: 33
  • DSCF1848.JPG
    8.7 MB · Views: 21
  • DSCF1849.JPG
    7.8 MB · Views: 21

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer

28Ten,

Thanks, the E4 was a commission I had completed Dec. 09. The real thing was an ex GER loco which I think were the last 2-4-0 loco's to work on BR. These, the F3 2-4-2t and the J15 0-6-0 tender loco ( I've built one of these aswell in S7, see pic's ) all shared the same boiler, and there were a few other bits and pieces that were standard fittings on these loco's.

Colin.   

Attachments

• J15 65475 009.JPG
    8.1 MB · Views: 31
  • J15 65475 010.JPG
    10.4 MB · Views: 16

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer

Looking good Colin, can I ask where you get your castings from? I may want source some myself in the future.

7mmMick

Western Thunderer

Hi Colin,

The J15 looks fantastic and the weathering is supurb, I think its the attention to the small things that makes it, like the smoke box door handle that is worn down to the metal due to constant use by the disposl crews. For some reason my computer starts to upload the pictures and they disapear so I only get a quick look. On the second J15 picture I got a quick look at the buffers and they looked like LNER taper shank type. Do you know if these are the same type as the J73 ( a Wilson Wordsell design )? If so are they scratch build or supplied by some one ?? If they're not scratch built it means I can get a set for my J73 build,

Many thanks Mick

28ten

Guv'nor

Very nice, I especially the like the well worn look  :thumbs: they look very olde worlde with the dome on the front ring and a round top firebox

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer

Rob Pulham said:
Looking good Colin, can I ask where you get your castings from? I may want source some myself in the future.
Rob, The castings come from various sources, Ragstone Models, Laurie Griffin and Gibson. Although in future I would like to start turning my own chimneys and domes.
Was there anything in particular that your after?

Colin. 

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer

7mmMick said:
Hi Colin,

Do you know if these are the same type as the J73 ( a Wilson Wordsell design )? If so are they scratch build or supplied by some one ?? If they're not scratch built it means I can get a set for my J73 build,

Many thanks Mick
Mick, I'm not sure if there the same, the white metal buffer housings in the photo are from Ragstone Models, but phone Peter Hunt ( Perfect Miniatures ) he may be able to source some for you, he does have some buffers in stock I know, do you have a DRG. or photo of the buffers ?

Colin. 

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer

Here's another couple of shots for you, The E4 cab interior and the J15 cab before I weathered the loco.

Colin

Attachments

• E4 ex works. 1 006.JPG
    7.8 MB · Views: 28
  • P. Cav. J15 009.JPG
    7.9 MB · Views: 14

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer

eastsidepilot said:
Rob, The castings come from various sources, Ragstone Models, Laurie Griffin and Gibson. Although in future I would like to start turning my own chimneys and domes.
Was there anything in particular that your after?

Colin.
Thanks Colin, I plan to scratch build a Beames 0-8-4T at some point (for no other reason than I have a drawing). I have already used Ragstone (in fact I am awaiting some brake castings for my A3 build from Andy at the moment), Laurie Griffin and Gibson, I guess I was hoping to widen the supplier horizon. I am fairly new to 7mm and am just starting to build up a spares box and knowledge of suppliers.

3 LINK

Western Thunderer

Hi Colin,

Just a quick question if I may, that slightly off cream colour you have applied to the cab interior, is it an actual colour or have you mixed it yourself. As I have tried to concoct a like colour a few times and never really been happy with the result.

ATB,  Martyn.

7mmMick

Western Thunderer

Hi Colin,

I've sent an email with a couple of pictures on and a drawing as well. I spoke to Peter last Thursdayand he's sending me out some order forms and a Group newsletter so that I can join, hopefully when I order the exacotscale bits i'm after I could pick up the buffer's as well. I started a thread on this forum a few months ago about my J73 build but house renovations and family commitments have took priority since  :headbang: :)). I've got a trip to the NRM planned at the end of the month as I've found when making up scale drawings to cut parts from that I don't have all the measurments I need to continue. Fingers crossed after that i'll be full steam ahead and with buffers there's no stopping me! The latest pictures are as great as the others and I love all the pipe runs and the work worn cab interior, thanks for them all as they are a great inspiration,

Best regards Mick