Scattergun Rebuilding

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Precious little modelmaking this week, as I have to bite a bullet and rebuild my paint shop. The old one got disassembled while I was constructing my O Gauge test track.

I spent a while on Sunday, sweltering in my loft space, moving rubbish about to make some sensible space. I've just been out and bought a load of timber, and this afternoon I hope to construct the framework from which to hang the plastic sheeting.

If it all goes to plan, I shall be back at the workbench on Tuesday, and able to get paint on models in the New Paint Shop.

Piccies later, if I remember to take the camera up!

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Here's the framework.

image.jpg

Those of you familiar with the old paint shop will realise I've moved it across the loft workshop space. The old shop was on the left, and was only ever meant to be a temporary feature. I've essentially reworked what was my "upstairs" workshop, which is no longer used as I have migrated downstairs to a comfortable distance from the tea-making facilities.

Next step, fit the polythene sheeting. It'll all make more sense when you can see the finished thing.

flexible_coupling

Western Thunderer
That's extremely serious stuff! I'd love to have that kind of space to work with (when I get to the point of painting my models....!)

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
Are you going to fit some sort of direct air inlet / extractor into the spray room? Along with an extractor for the paint booth.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
The plan is eventually to fit an extractor system to vent into the eaves. The polythene hangings are not airtight, by any means, but enough to stop the worst grollies getting into the area, as well as preventing spray dust from covering everything.

It's not utterly professional, but it'll do. Given time, I will probably firm up the covered wall areas with hardboard, but I needed something quickly as I have some jobs that need the paint shop in operation.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
image.jpg

Here we are with the exterior hangings.

image.jpg

With the "booth" in place. Just need to arrange covers for the under-bench area and put all the spraying clobber back in.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
In other news, Best Beloved and I are looking at various methods to provide a positive air flow extraction system. I'd like to fit a couple of fans at the upper rear of the "booth", but whether the fans will be mounted just there or some way down some pipework remains to be seen.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
image.jpg

This is a better location for the "booth", plus I can now have the compressor within easy reach. There's more space, plus…

image.jpg

A sensible place to mix paint and storage for the various unctions and equipment.

Right, enough playtime. On with some proper work again.

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
A photo of my spray booth after fitting it with new fans, four of them venting out of the brick wall, via a tumble drier vent kit. IIRC the fans were £1.50 for a pair off Ebay.
post-8920-0-49243800-1338387683.jpg

If your going to fit an extractor fan into the system, fit it so that you can get to it as I have found that the fan blades do get a build up of paint on them. You could fit some sort of filter in front of the fan to help reduce this.

The full build of this is on RMweb.
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/in...ooth/?view=findpost&p=703438&hl=+spray++booth

HTH.

OzzyO.

S

SteveO

Yes, and the eerie polythene sheeting he used to contain his 'kill scene'.

Looks a cracking job you're doing up there. Mine has stacks of boxes, which have now also invaded my little work desk. I bought a bureau today hide my workspace in plain sight. When it arrives I'll see what I can do to customise it...

warren haywood

Western Thunderer
I have a 10" extraction fan through the end wall of the house so all paint mist and odours go straight outside.
Under this I have a chest of drawers which acts as paint storage plus a worktop. Don't bother with any plastic sheeting, just let the fan run for 5mins before I start which gets rid of most airborne dust. If there is any dust contamination on the model it's no problem cos I only use celly :)

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
Did you not see the fan on the lefthand bench. :thumbs:

I don't think that is to do any of the things that I mentioned, that is only to keep someone cool.

I'm now going to sit in the fridge and chill out for a while, sod the food!!!!!

OzzyO.