7mm Redruth and Chasewater Railway

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
This is the start of a modelling project which hopefully will be come a 7mm scale exhibition layout in due course and not a vague dig at rights and wrongs of OO.

This railway has fascinated me ever since I was at the School of Mines in Camborne in the mid 1990's. I had toyed with the Idea of building it in 4mm so I could use OO track work but I have decided to build it in 7mm using S7 standards. As some people will know the railway was built to 4ft gauge which means that it is one of the few railways that if built in 4mm it would run on 16.5mm track, true OO. However that would be to easy so I'm going to do it in 7mm.

I am considering 3 sections of the line that look like they have potential to be turned into a layout: the termini at Redruth and East Wheal Bassett and the small goods yard at Crofthandy which has a strange gated enclosure around one of the sidings.

I have ordered copies of the 2 books written on the line which should be here shortly. And I have been kindly sent Ian Rice's 4mm sketches for "Smelter" and "Miner" which I have added to the to do list.
I believe Robert Tivendale built a layout "Wheal Louise" in 4mm which was loosely based on the line in the 1980's. So I'm going to see if I can track it down.

Marc

Last edited by a moderator:

Stuart D

I believe Robert Tivendale built a layout "Wheal Louise" in 4mm which was loosely based on the line in the 1980's. So I'm going to see if I can track it down.

Marc

There was an article in the January 1990 issue of Railway Modeller, and a follow-up in February 1991. Like all subscribers to said journal I have access to their archive, but unfortunately it isn't possible to download complete articles, only page by page.......:(
Might be worthwhile looking out for a back number.

Sleeper Agent

A friend did say a while back he's working on a Miner/Smelter design. Can ask him where it's at currently if you like as a 7mm print would be easy enough to resize.

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
That would be great if you could. I have all the tech to add extra detail to a 4mm STL file.
Is it the same chap who now runs Powsides?
Marc

Sleeper Agent

Is it the same chap who now runs Powsides?
Marc
No association with Powsides, goes by Killian Keane on Twitter. Speaking to him just now I'm afraid the pair are only on his hit list, no work on them has actually taken place. There's an old issue I've just bought which may have a line drawing to provide something to start off with at least but he has covered 'The Box' which served on the West Somerset Mineral Railway, so he's reasonably familiar with how to go about tackling the earlier design as and when.
Neilson box tank - bellmouth chimney by Pugsy on Shapeways

Simon

Flying Squad
I don't have the references or issue dates, but I am pretty certain that Iain Rice did a good article or even articles on the locomotives in the old "Model Railways" magazine, including plans.

Hopefully someone here will know which issues they were in...

Sleeper Agent

That's news to me! Not a local unfortunately but found an image online and it's Spitfire, thanks for the tip off :thumbs:
Neilson General Arrangement Spitfire .png
Facebook
A line drawing of rebuilt Miner was also published in at least one of the R&CR editions, but it's detail is only so so and a side on only.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Redruth-Ch...ords=redruth+chasewater&qid=1638315568&sr=8-6

I am pretty certain that Iain Rice did a good article or even articles on the locomotives in the old "Model Railways" magazine, including plans.
That would be 'Model Railways' June 1978 featuring a Midland coach on the cover. Definitely worth acquiring if you're interested in Neilson box tanks but again they are line drawings only, nifty as they and Iain Rice's additional diagrams are. Likewise 'The Box' pdf one isn't a General Arrangement but is a great thing to spring board off if interested in that engine or a freelance from around the same period (link fifth from the bottom).
{{articlechoice.data.query1[0].articleMetaTitle}}

Last edited:

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Just found this on google maps redruth turminus building google maps.jpg

the buildings to the right are the original railway buildings at Redruth and the squares in the centre are the granite blocks used as sleepers. Redruth is looking good for a model.

Marc

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
I don't have the references or issue dates, but I am pretty certain that Iain Rice did a good article or even articles on the locomotives in the old "Model Railways" magazine, including plans.

Hopefully someone here will know which issues they were in...

Hi Marc

Further to Simon's note I am sure Iain Rice built a complete model based on the Cornish Mineral lines in a few issues of the MR magazine called Tregarrick, in the early 80s. I couldn't find an index online but you may wish to have a look at this website...britishrailwaybooks.co.uk

Very interesting prototype as is the 3' 6" Camborne and Redruth Tramway which was used to carry the minerals as well as passengers. I think they were too far apart to model together though!
Shall watch with interest.

All the best

Julian

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Inglenook plus as there are 4 sidings interestingly the railway looks like it has a direct connection to the mine next door and the track going off to somewhere to the north which doesn't show up on any of the maps.

Marc

jc2001

Western Thunderer
It's a fascinating railway and I've explored lots of it ever since I was a boy, although it's a long time since I've visited any of it. There is/was an iron footbridge in Carharrick and inset track in Devoran along with various buildings. Some of the underbridge decks were simply loads of wrought iron rails used as girders covered in ballast. The one I knew was removed some years ago. I could be tempted to try 4mm if a loco were available as it would run perfectly on 16mm track.

John

Sleeper Agent

The only reference I could find to it is around 1/2 way down on this page of an RMWeb thread (and a very interesting thread too!)

I did leave a Facebook link below the downloaded image above but for clarity it was part of the 2015 display marking the 100th anniversary of the R&CR's closure.
Devoran Railway Centenary Festival.
Am currently making inquiries to see if a higher definition copy exists as either the blueprint from The Old Quay Inn has been digitised or it was snapped and uploaded to a computer in order for the two copies to be sized up with the Spitfire photo. If nothing else it's still hanging in the pub from what I can gather, but am not a local so won't be passing by without planning out a proper road trip to also see a few other sites at the same time. Hopefully though it can be used as the person I mentioned will probably be interested in designing a Spitfire if he has enough measurements to work off.
I haven't seen anyone mention it online strangely but the new(ish) softback is worth seeking out if interested in the line.
The Redruth & Chasewater Railway A Pictorial Excursion Upalong & Down Eric Rabjohns | Branchstow Books
I've also just ordered the September 1936 issue of 'The Railway Magazine' as till now was unaware of the article it features. Doesn't contain any revelations but is nice to see a slightly more contemporary write up and it can be viewed here.
Devoran’s Railway: Redruth and Chasewater Railway, The Railway Magazine November 1936

Regards
Steve

Last edited:

Osgood

Western Thunderer
I checked out the FB link but could not find the drawing anywhere on it (searched all photos but can only go back so far on the Posts page as not signed up) - but I did clock the book!

I've sent off enquiries to both Branchstow (not available to buy online and advising 4 weeks lead time) and the publisher about the Pictorial Excursion book - seems to be a mystery as published by Trevithick Society in Oct 2020 but they make no mention of it on their website, it is not listed in their publications current or past.