7mm Rob's Rolling Stock Workbench

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Given that I now have a few in the to do pile I thought I would start a thread of just for the building of plastic wagon kit's.

Starting with a 14 ton cylindrical tank wagon that I received from my son at Christmas that has beckoned this last week when I haven't been able to do much due to having new windows fitted but having time on my hands between moving things about. I wasn't too impressed with the body of the wagon itself although I do believe that with some filler and a it of patience a decent job could be made. I chose to rivet and roll a replacement from brass.

Attachments

• Tanks 007sm.jpg
    586.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Tanks 008sm.jpg
    659.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Tanks 002sm.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 21
  • Tanks 003sm.jpg
    721.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Tanks 004sm.jpg
    734.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Tanks 006sm.jpg
    585.1 KB · Views: 85

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Slaters kit builds, with the odd Parkside thrown in for good measure

Rob are you copying the wagons or adding to the kit either way it looks good it's something I tend to do alot to make my own

Ian

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer

Hi Ian,

The first one is an 'add to' a Slaters kit, the second is a scratch build to try out the bottom of a drinks can idea - the ends are the bottoms filed off a couple of Fanta cans - a really easy way to get domed ends of just the right size.

In both cases I rolled and riveted the  cylinders from 0.3mm brass sheet. On the replacement for the Slaters I created an overlay, on the other I just represented it by a couple of rows of rivets.

28ten

Guv'nor

Rob
I ended up doing the same thing with one I made, although I rolled the barrel and added a 5 thou overlay for the middle wrapper. The only problem is that the kit ends up like 'Triggers' broom  :))

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer

28ten said:
Rob
I ended up doing the same thing with one I made, although I rolled the barrel and added a 5 thou overlay for the middle wrapper. The only problem is that the kit ends up like 'Triggers' broom  :))

Sorry Cynric, 'Triggers broom' went right by me :-[

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade

Rob Pulham said:
Hi Ian,

The first one is an 'add to' a Slaters kit, the second is a scratch build to try out the bottom of a drinks can idea - the ends are the bottoms filed off a couple of Fanta cans - a really easy way to get domed ends of just the right size.

In both cases I rolled and riveted the  cylinders from 0.3mm brass sheet. On the replacement for the Slaters I created an overlay, on the other I just represented it by a couple of rows of rivets.

Are the ends of the cans the right size without any messing if so Good God some thing thats easy to do

Ian

28ten

Guv'nor

Rob Pulham said:
Sorry Cynric, 'Triggers broom' went right by me :-[
Trigger- Only fools and horses 'this is my best broom - its had seven new handles and eight new brushes'  ie by the time you have made a new barrel and bits of U section there ain't much left of the kit. I still have a second one I started and never finished  :))

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade

28ten said:
Trigger- Only fools and horses 'this is my best broom - its had seven new handles and eight new brushes'  ie by the time you have made a new barrel and bits of U section there ain't much left of the kit. I still have a second one I started and never finished  :))

said in a german accent "very goot eet is funni ya!!!"

Ian

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer

28ten said:
Ahh... Now I understand, I knew who trigger was but not about the broom. The only bit of the Slaters kit I will be replacing is the barrel I think the rest of it is fine especially the castings. In fact I plan to ask Slaters if they sell them separately.

iploffy said:
Are the ends of the cans the right size without any messing if so Good God some thing thats easy to do

Ian

Yes Ian, for once just a straight file the bottom off and away you go. The guy on RMWeb who I got the idea from had used some plastic tube but I prefer brass (and I had it in stock which always helps) It may have been some sort of waste pipe.

Steve Cook

Flying Squad

Nicely done Rob, a proper bit of modelling  :thumbs:

That the Fanta can bottoms are such a good fit is a real bonus, I skimmed through the pics first and thought 'bloomin heck', how did he do that!

Steve

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer

Nice job Rob, I won't ever throw a drinks can away again !

I have an idea that Slaters will supply parts of there kits seperatly.

Col.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer

Steve Cook said:
That the Fanta can bottoms are such a good fit is a real bonus, I skimmed through the pics first and thought 'bloomin heck', how did he do that!

Steve

Steve, I used the same diameter cylinder to go inside the Fanta can ends as to go over the Slaters plastic ends

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer

A bit more progress with the Slaters kit.

Attachments

• Slaters Tar Tanks 007.JPG
    444.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Slaters Tar Tanks 006.JPG
    276.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Slaters Tar Tanks 003.JPG
    480.3 KB · Views: 33

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer

A few  more build pictures - the springs for the couplings were a right fiddle but I got there in the end

Attachments

• Tank Wagon Finished 001sm.JPG
    830.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Tank Wagon Finished 002sm.JPG
    602.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Tank Wagon Finished 005sm.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 29
  • Tank Wagon Finished 006sm.JPG
    771.2 KB · Views: 21

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer

I managed to finish the Slaters Tank ready for the paint shop this afternoon.

Attachments

• Tank Wagon Finished 012sm.JPG
    649.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Tank Wagon Finished 015sm.JPG
    612.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Tank Wagon Finished 017sm.JPG
    619.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Tank Wagon Finished 018sm.JPG
    720.8 KB · Views: 46

28ten

Guv'nor

The new barrel looks much better, well worth the effort  :thumbs:
Watch for the coupling hook and the springs, I have seen a couple pull apart on long trains  :eek: it might be worth adding a bit of solder and forgetting about the springing

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer

28ten said:
The new barrel looks much better, well worth the effort  :thumbs:
Watch for the coupling hook and the springs, I have seen a couple pull apart on long trains  :eek: it might be worth adding a bit of solder and forgetting about the springing
Thanks I will watch for that, if it comes out I have no chance of putting it back. It was a right B****r to get in the first time with the tank off.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer

Really nice Rob!!

I must admit, I persevered with the plastic tank and got it pretty acceptable, but it did take a lot of work sanding!

But on the plus side also, you now have a disused tank for a grotty corner of a layout... :))

JB. 

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer

Scale7JB said:
But on the plus side also, you now have a disused tank for a grotty corner of a layout... :))

JB.

Thanks Jonathan, a couple of coke can ends and as you say something to plonk and weather!! I plan to have a go at scratch building a tank or two if Slaters will sell the castings separately.

I am sure I will add a few more of these to the fleet down the line - I also have my eye on milk tanks too.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer

Rob,

I must admit that I quite fancy getting a few tank wagons and I like the outline of the Slater's one.  There are some interesting ones done by PowSides too, I think. 

That's a cracking build too: I'll remember the drink can trick when/if I get round to building some.

Cheers,

Steph