SER Stepped End Wagon

adrian

Flying Squad
I always enjoy your posts Jon. They usually include expressions like "Things didn't go too well" or some other inadequacy as perceived by you, but to the rest of us you end up with a superb model of a really interesting subject.
Complete agree - it really is some great modelling and grateful for the postings. However whilst it could be considered an aphorism there is a lot of truth from the comment that we learn more from our failures than our sucesses.

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
I always enjoy your posts Jon. They usually include expressions like "Things didn't go too well" or some other inadequacy as perceived by you, but to the rest of us you end up with a superb model of a really interesting subject. Keep up the good work!

Mike

You are too kind, Mike

Jon

P.S. I was looking for a smiley face that was blushing but, not one there.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Dave, did the LCDR have any ‘out of the usual’ looking wagons?

They had round end wagons similar to the LBSC however they used a different plank width which made them 4 plank rather than 5 plank wagons although the sides are the same height. The wheelbase was 9'8''. I'll have a trawl of some of my books.

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Dave
I have the Southern Wagons book re the SER plus the drawings issued by Dan Garret from when I used to model in 7mm. I think the SER and the LCDR had the same wagons but, I expect that I am wrong on that count.

Jon

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Another lovely day so, thought I'd have a go at the top coat. The problem was, quite a few small flying insects thought that it was a lovely day too, a good day to spread their wings. One would think that the smelly paint would act as a deterrent but, oh no! Still, not too much damage done. There's only one chance when spraying railway stuff as there is no chance of rubbing it down with all of those nuts and bolts and straps et al.. Well, not for me anyway.
The paint colour is my interpretation of the SER red in this case, RAL 3022. The aerosol from Autopaints of Doncaster takes a little getting used to as it doesn't have the same high pressure that a Halfords one has but, I managed it, all good experience for the next time around. It is a gloss which I'm hoping will help with the application of transfers later on.

Jon

IMG_3521.JPG IMG_3522.JPG IMG_3524.JPG IMG_3526.JPG

lankytank

Western Thunderer
Jon, the 'tie down' rings by the buffers - what's the source? If you tell me they're home brewed, I'm swapping the soldering iron for a pair of knitting needles…… :thumbs:

Spitfire2865

Western Thunderer
Jon, the 'tie down' rings by the buffers - what's the source? If you tell me they're home brewed, I'm swapping the soldering iron for a pair of knitting needles…… :thumbs:
Ive made some before from 4mm scale handrail knobs and a circle of wire. If youre careful you can even make them functional.
Though Ive yet to use them on a wagon as I dont really fancy soldering rings together often.

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
They are indeed homebrewed. As Trevor says, they are 4mm Gibson short handrail knobs Ref. 4M53, with some nickel wire wrapped around the end of a drill. It's an idea that I picked up from Jamie Page where he used them on one of his wagons. I've even used the knobs on their own for the pin retainers on the side doors.
Not quite Hi Vis, Trevor, more a salmon pink :).

Jon

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Finished now and up on it's wheels that have Jim's wonderful 3' 1" Mansell overlays, thank you Jim. They may be the only G3 3' 1" wheels about. I've even fitted a brake lever pin and chain, a first for me, and painted the inside. I was too keen to get the pin and chain fitted and forgot to blacken the former, hey ho. I would have like the have made the eye a little smaller too but my round nosed pliers did their best all the same.

Jon

IMG_3568.JPG IMG_3571.JPG IMG_3574.JPG IMG_3576.JPG IMG_3578.JPG IMG_3586.JPG