Southern coaches & EMU's from JLTRT

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
Do you know your Bullieds from your Maunsells ? Your 4 COR's from your 2 BIL's ??
Just Like the Real Thing are looking for knowledgable people to help them out to hopefully produce a series of kits for the Southern Enthusiast coaches & EMU's

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Yes. They'd be hard pushed to beat the Slater's ones; although they're not without their problems...

Steph

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Err, what happened to the DMU (Class 117?), that was announced many moons ago? The Easybuild one just doesn't do it for me.

Regards

Dan

Ian G

Western Thunderer
I have a set of drawings for a COR from Colin, I only wanted the underframe details to use as a match truck for a 15t Taylor Hubbard crane.

Ian G

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Bullieds are top of the list Steph
Of course they are, despite the fact they were only in front line service for a relatively short time and have been done to death already. Mind you, if JLTRT work out how to do the curved main window panes in decent material (e.g. acrylic sheet rather than the rubbish they use currently) then they could do rather well.
I'd leave the main Maunsell carriages for Slaters though.
The early Maunsell/Lynes stock (Continentals and Thanets) would be worth doing. The former lend themselves to a resin body and the CRT Thanets are truly awful; massively compromised by trying to use a standard, over width, roof extrusion. Being etched, they're devoid of the steel sheeting details or window frame rebates either...
I'm happy to help if I can, there are some details to Southern carriages which are very different to other railways vehicles, as I've hinted here!
Steph

pete waterman

Western Thunderer
Steve interesting comment. What curved windows ! do you mean the Mk1s ? What Bullieds are there out there because I've just done two and the windows are the last thing to worry about. The shape is wrong for a start. That's a poor place to start from and we wont talk about the roof. Dan when Easy Build did the 117 that stopped us in our tracks. First thing is there is no market in coaches most people don't care if its got wheels and windows then its a coach. I stated with coaches back in 1970 GWR 70ft along with John Lewis and David Geen when I made kits for Pendon. I try to get my coach kits as close as I can at a price that get me some money back on what it coast. I have to say when I ring Laure and start talking about coaches he goes deaf as he know there's lots of work for him with little sales. Here's some facts we don't sale First, Full Brakes, Kitchen or Dining cars. So what do you do Thirds, Brake Thirds and Comps ! That's not like any train that I went on. Its about space and also the Hornby effect and guess what they always did yep you got it. So I have to approach it as there for Leamington and if any one wont one fantastic.

ZiderHead

Western Thunderer
I'm not that surprised at which coach types sell - its what will make up a representative 5 coach formation. Not many 7mm modellers have space to run an 11 coach express service with full firsts, diners etc.

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Dan when Easy Build did the 117 that stopped us in our tracks

Pete - I figured that may have been the case and it's a great shame, as I know you/JLTRT would have made a proper job of it. I guess I'll just have to scratchbuild one as/when the time allows, as the Easybuild one is just totally the wrong shape....:shit:

Regards

Dan

AJC

Western Thunderer
Steve interesting comment. What curved windows ! Do you mean the Mk1s ?

Some Bulleid's coaches had curved glazing (apart from the droplights, obviously) as is evident in this interior view: https://www.flickr.com/photos/extension3363/6970697431/in/set-72157629191852764

Now obviously, while very stylish, this was a maintenance nightmare so normal flat glass has been substituted in preservation. I'm not too well up on the detail but it's possible that the BR-built versions, as opposed to the contractor-built vehicles had flat panes earlier. You really can see this kind of thing in 7mm.

First thing is there is no market in coaches most people don't care if its got wheels and windows then its a coach.

Sad but true and particularly in 7mm which neglects what goes on behind the loco drawhook all too readily, even now. I reckon that 4mm is better in this respect, in both carriages and wagons, but RTR makes it easier and the range of kits is quite large.

Adam

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
I'm not that surprised at which coach types sell - its what will make up a representative 5 coach formation. Not many 7mm modellers have space to run an 11 coach express service with full firsts, diners etc.
Not a problem with Southern stuff on the whole, there were very few sets over 6 carriages.
Done properly a 6-coach Bulleid 'Bournemouth' set (including dining car!) would be very worth the effort.
JLTRT will need to start thinking in terms of sets not just individual vehicles...

Pete,
Unlike a Mk1, Bulleid stock windows curve to follow the profile of the bodyside. It's the one thing no manufacturer other than Southern Pride had managed to capture.
Most of the current Bulleid carriage kits struggle in one area or another, for example the CRT ones running on LMS underframes!
I've got a few of the old Cavalier kits which aren't bad, although I have been working up new etched underframes and bogies for them.

Incidentally, my avatar is a Southern carriage; a scratchbuilt 'Continental'.

Steph

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Adam,
I'm unaware of any Bulleid carriage receiving flat glass in preservation, which ones have?
Must have been a ticklish little job...!
Steph

AJC

Western Thunderer
Adam,
I'm unaware of any Bulleid carriage receiving flat glass in preservation, which ones have?
Must have been a ticklish little job...!
Steph

1464 at the Bluebell, although assuming that this isn't an optical illusion occasioned by masking tape!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/extension3363/8744530767/in/set-72157633488714459

And possibly 2526:

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/cw_news/cwn-pic/2526/2526_20081203_6858h.jpg

Compare with 4279 taken from a similar angle:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/extension3363/7450839420/in/set-72157630305426162

I am fully prepared to admit that I'm wrong if someone comes up with a better picture.

Adam

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Adam,

First one is a BRCW vehicle, so would have had flat glazing from new. The second is a BR-built vehicle (large ventilators) which I'm not entirely sure of either from that photo but would have had curved glazing originally, at least on the side lights. The last one is a proper Bulleid carriage.

I did hear prices into low £5-figures for those curved glazing units that have been ordered in preservation.

However, with the vehicles not having proper window frames (redux) and timber framing under the steel skin, fitting flat glass would mean a lasting change to the vehicle construction and a great increase in the chance of water ingress and permanent damage to the structure.

Steph

Cliff Williams

Western Thunderer
Vivak clear glazing can be heated and formed to be curved, I have done it for various locos in my time, creating a jig then boiling it.
The temperature needs to be higher than boiling to be honest as per the specifications, but it becomes pliable enough to allow bending.

It would be great if some Southern Bulleids were done, I would have a rake.

Ian G

Western Thunderer
Im sure some of our club members would like a rake or 2 for the club layout Okehampton, I will put my hand up to not needing coaching stock, as I am researching all the departmental stock needed. but I have a coach to build a converted brake 3rd for the Meldon staff coach.

Ian G

isleofthanet

Western Thunderer
Would be nice if Pullman cars were produced for such trains as the Bournemouth Belle, Thanet Belle, Golden Arrow or ACE

Alan