Scattergun Steph Dale's dark side - Back to the FA2...

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Hi Steph.

Was this the class of loco we had when we went from Montreal to Quebec City?

Naw, that was a GE P42, like this; http://www.rail-pictures.com/name/train-photo/6759/gallery/Canada~Companies~VIA Rail.html

Always fancied a CR or Penn Central (mating worms) 430 with HiAd trucks.

Mick, the new Bowser C430 is a peach of a model, it's just a shame we can't really justify them in any of our plans. Having a few of the typically Canadian classes is a considerable step up though!

Believe it or not it was on a 'Buy it now'; I saw it a few minutes after it was listed... :D

Steph

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
I've had to do a bit more research on the MLW - specifically, why the OMI and Kaslo versions have different details. I know the class was built in multiple small batches with detail differences and that there were at least two subsequent rebuild phases (mostly involving the radiators). I posted on the CanModelTrains Yahoo Group and got a couple of really good video links on YouTube. They both show how operations in the US and Canada can be very modest and the second video, despite lowish video quality shows how attractive Quebec can be as inspiration for a model. The sound recording is pretty good, so the rather special noise of the Alco 251 v12 (plus turbocharger) can be clearly heard. Now all I need is to find half a dozen GT boxcars...

More a bit later after I've finished running some errands...

Steph

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Back to the FA2...

Progress has, by my standards, been rapid. These older Proto2000 locos need a bit fiddling to get them up to modern standards as regards running. As such they're not much different to Athearn and, like Athearn, the results of a careful tweak can be very good indeed.

I started by pulling the bogies apart and dropping all the components in to the ultrasonic cleaner to get rid of the factory lubricant. I was expecting trouble (split gears) and found it, so a new set of wheels were found and will form part of the rebuild. Anyway, after a thorough cleaning, the bogie frames had new pick-up tabs fitted on the 'live' side of the chassis; the brass wire in the photos. They were then cleaned once more to get rid of flux and handling oils before receiving two coats of Humbrol matt black on the shiny metal parts, keeping clear of the axle contact areas:
IMG_8676v1.jpg

And the remaining parts were in a box waiting for re-assembly. The gears have all been de-burred in Athearn fashion, so fit better and run smoother on the gearbox spindles. I also had to reduce the size of the thrust washers on the worm sets and the washers were large enough that they fouled the gears; probably the source of most of the running noise when I test ran the loco:
IMG_8677v1.jpg

With a little care the gearboxes were lubricated and assembled, resulting in these rather smart little units. You can see how the pick-up contact I added is on the same side of the chassis. I'll have to unclip the worm housing when they're installed in the chassis, but at least I know they're together (and run) for the moment:
IMG_8679v1.jpg

Speaking of the chassis, there was an enlarged cut-out required to give clearance around the new contact, so out with the Proxxon MF70 and a few minutes I had them done; modified on the left, as arrived on the right:
IMG_8681v1.jpg

And I also cut off and replaced the (laughable) coupler mountings to take Kadee couplers. Again, the modified one is on the left:
IMG_8683v1.jpg

And here's where we are. Next job on the chassis will be a good clean followed by a coat of some sort of paint (probably Humbrol satin black). Under other circumstances I might be looking to see what frame ribs or plumbing could be added, but that's not quite what I'm up to here; just bringing it up to modern standards:
IMG_8684v1.jpg

I'm going to start detailing the bogie sideframes next and hoping that I get some sort of inspiration about how to get a good, thin coat of paint on Delrin/acetal. I guess we may come back to baking it again. And then, once the parts arrive, we'll start on detailing the body. After I've matched the paint, so I know I can make good afterwards!

Steph

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Having said I was 'just bringing it up to modern standards', there was a small but significant further feeling of 'oh b***** to it' with regards to the fuel tank area. And so the MF70 was armed with a smaller cutter and a couple of slots put into the chassis over the fuel tank to visually separate it from the frame (before is below, after is above):
IMG_8685v1.jpg

In fact the effect is not subtle; here's a comparison again, this time with the fuel tank moulding fitted. The motor acts beautifully to cut out any light that might be transmitted through the slots and the rectangular lumps front and rear nicely represent the sump well that the prototype's engine would fit in to. There's a little bit still to do here; a tank drain, a radiator drain and beefing up the tank brackets, but that's about it: a couple of bits of wire and four triangles of plasticard. And it'll be useful practice for the other FAs I have to detail:
IMG_8686v1.jpgIMG_8687v1.jpg

That's it for the moment, I'll probably get back to this after the weekend...

Steph