TFW’s workshop

Tim Watson

Western Thunderer
The saga of the goods yard rumbles on, with the extension of the Eastern Transit Shed(ish).

This was trial fitted on the layout last Thursday evening.

The shift rearwards of the back scene will allow the various huts and the round house to be better positioned and more visible from the front. Quite appropriately, a Refreshment Club mug was used to mark out the recess for the model building on the end wall of the transit shed.

The somewhat ugly far ‘leg’ of the main shed was hidden by an internal office structure made with clapboard: these show in some images of the prototype.

This whole assembly will be masked a bit by Jim’s new canopy (shown as a ply rectangle in the first image above), but it will all look very interesting.

Tim

Tim Watson

Western Thunderer
At last the third shed is almost complete and some of the vehicles and horses permanently placed.

Jim Watt’s canopy will, of course, go across the end.
The New Zealand Finescale horses do look so much better than any I have made. In fact, my recent one - which I was quite proud of - looks more like a pantomime horse in comparison, so will be relegated to the back of the layout.

This piece will go into the Club tonight and the area worked on tomorrow, better integrating the back scene with the foreground.

All a bit of a deadline for our CF mini exhibition on 10-11th July.

Tim

Tim Watson

Western Thunderer
Started to get the new bits working better with the back scene today.

The view westwards is beginning to fall into place: there is virtually no detail in it, but the eye is happier for that.

The view up the layout works OK, but obviously the view down the back scene itself is a bit compromised.

The south end sky is certainly better than it was. St Pancras and the gas holders are not there: arguably they were much further south from the diorama viewpoint.

Quite tricky really.

Tim

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Thank you Tim for keeping us WTs posted on the progress of this outstanding model, as I have before I remember the very early days in the basement of Keen House.
I admire how you and fellow modellers have persevered on such a mammoth project.
Did you think back in 1084 that you would still be working on CF?
I really do appreciate the pictures being so far away from London now.
All the best.
Julian

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Copenhagen Fields is just stunning. I'm looking forward to seeing it again this year. Thanks for sharing so much about your techniques, Tim.

Brian

Tim Watson

Western Thunderer
If you would like to see the layout, really closely, then I would commend the Club’s Mini Exhibition on 10-11th July.
Copenhagen Fields Behind the Scenes - The Model Railway Club

We are also producing a 20 page booklet on the layout that will be printed at A4 size with photos from over the years and a fairly big write up of the why’s & wherefores of the project. Tim Dunn has very kindly written a forward.

The booklet will be for sale from the Club shop after the open day.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments, they are very much appreciated and make it all worthwhile. CF is like a swan, however: looks elegant on the surface, but there’s an awful lot of paddling underneath…

Tim

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
OMG did I write 1084....b....y IPhone. But I guess it made you laugh!
I really understand the swan analogy.
Believe me Allen you will not be disappointed when you see it in the flesh.
Wish I could get to Keen House in July
Best regards
Julian

Tim Watson

Western Thunderer
Apologies for the delay in response, Julian. The 20-page booklet describing the history and making of CF has now arrived from the printers. Apart from some rambling commentary, it features excellent photos taken by Tony Wright, Craig Tiley & Barry Norman and was put together by Ben Weiner. It is nice and big at A4 size (whatever else!) and printed on good quality paper. Copies will be given to attendees at our CF mini exhibition on 10-11th July and will also be available through the Club shop at £3 + £1.50 p&p - or collect from the Club. The mini-exhibition is now sold out.

The latest addition to the layout is from Cornwall: Goods & Mineral Junction signal box, by the hand of Matthew Wald for the main structure & Jim Watt for the etched stairs, barge boards & lever frame (which is almost impossible to see).

With such a superb building now made, the surrounding areas - especially the ramp line up to the Caledonian Goods & Coal Yard - will need to be brought up to the same standard.

Tim

Last edited:

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Thank you Tim and no worries for the delay, you must be busy with the layout.
Hope all goes well this weekend, and I am glad to see you are keeping Matthew on his toes!! Always first class modelling from him, please give him my regards.
All the best
Julian

Tim Watson

Western Thunderer
Well that was a very busy weekend. The MRC staged our first Copenhagen Fields mini exhibition. My daughter made some excellent cakes, the booklet looked good and I gave the opening talk and description of the layout 14 times. We had some very interested visitors: Tim Dunn the TV presenter was the last (but not least). I suspect that from the feedback we received, it will happen again; I think everyone appreciated getting really close to the layout and seeing the hundreds of cameos within the scenery, the trains were almost incidental. There were also a lot of local visitors, which makes it well worthwhile.

Matthew’s signal box required a last minute remake of the nearby civil engineering structure before the mini exhibition, involving shifting an arch by 30mm and thinning the structure by about 6mm.

This allowed width for the ladder, balcony and signal box toilet.

There is a great deal of detail to go in around the box, not least a chimney protruding from the ‘office’ below the ramp line!

(photo by George Pring, courtesy the late David Challis - please respect copyright.)
That bracket signal is a strong contender for the next signal on the layout.

Tim