TFW’s workshop

Tim Watson

Western Thunderer
Old hand drawn artwork is not really cost effective to re-scale these days. Has anyone made up the 4125 gal self trimming tender from the Steve Barnsfield etches?

Tim

Daddyman

Western Thunderer
Old hand drawn artwork is not really cost effective to re-scale these days. Has anyone made up the 4125 gal self trimming tender from the Steve Barnsfield etches?

Tim
This is the tender supplied in the B16 kit, which LRM have recently re-introduced and which MikeMeg has built on RM**b. LRM presumably have the artwork, but for reasons I don't understand, not knowing much about etching, they said it can't be changed (for example to correct the errors in the cab sides on the B16); that might mean it also can't be shot down to 2mm scale. The Barnfield range is generally pretty ropy, though I can't immediately see anything wrong with the 4125. The usual two problems with his tenders are over-wide/deep flares, and the flares made as part of the sides rather than lap-jointed.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
I built the 7mm version from Gladiator which came with the B16 and I don't recall any big issues. The build is on the forum with the tender starting from Here

Tim Watson

Western Thunderer
Here’s a little scene that has livened up the end of Randell’s Road on CF: an interesting juxtaposition of sign and subject.

The hearse was made by Ross Balderson from his own etches; horses by New Zealand Finescale - with added plumes & blankets and the figures are modified from a variety of sources.

Tim

Last edited:

Tim Watson

Western Thunderer
I have been privileged to be working on the HH Groves locos. They are exquisite pieces of work.
A0849CD7-A612-4410-AEEB-36600A7BF58D.jpe
They feature incredibly fine worms and worm wheels as well as springing of the front axle.
089B1D52-3811-48CB-9BCF-316ED9B7D62C.jpe
Motors are, of course, all hand made with ball races top and bottom - following the old HD style.
F7F2D039-19C2-4E01-8634-1188B6BAAFD3.jpe
They run as well as they look.
The 2-6-2 is a very elegant engine with full working valve gear.

BD09CB1C-0FF0-4B79-9FA5-7B7A9639085A.jpe Needless to say, iPhones have special microphones for amplifying motor and gear noise.

They will be on display at the upcoming 2mm Scale Association Diamond Jubilee (+2) exhibition at Derby Conference Centre on 18-19th June (with Copenhagen Fields as a supporting act).

Tim

Mike W

Western Thunderer
Lovely to see Groves's engines after all these years. They look even better than I remember them as a boy. How old are they Tim? 50 years?

SORRY - just seen your caption - 60 years! I must be older than I thought.

Mike

Tim Watson

Western Thunderer
Probably made in the early 60s, Mike. Simon Humphries, his great grandson and David Balchin his grandson have been trying to work out a chronology of the locos, but it is quite difficult.

Tim

Tim Watson

Western Thunderer
I have been working on the final HH Groves 60+ years old engine of this batch: a diminutive Avonside 0-4-0 - needless to say with full working valve gear.
It needed a new collar soldering onto the rear of the union link at the cross head end.

It's quite an attractive little engine.

Tim

Matt.S.

Western Thunderer
That really is quite special - interesting to note both the build standard, and the pragmatic approach to including reasonable detail.

AndyB

Western Thunderer
CF all ready to unload at Derby. Good packing.
You'll be ready for a pint in the bar when you've finished shifting that lot with this afternoon's temperature!
Hopefully be there on Sunday morning. Last saw CF at IMREX I think, in its early days, so looking forward to seeing it again.
The trains will seem very small - we have a Gauge 3 GTG the day before...

Andy

Tim Watson

Western Thunderer
We had a great day talking with visitors today. Not having a barrier was, I think, much appreciated. After the excessive heat from set up yesterday there was a problem with a baseboard joint at the south end that was finally sorted out by the judicious use of a large hammer - after five o’clock. Tomorrow will be a good day.

Tim

Last edited:

Tim Watson

Western Thunderer
Excellent day today in Derby. Two hours to take down and load the van, in London by 2000.
We had a famous engine running across the NLR: Simon didn’t stop smiling all weekend.

CD6CB92C-AF85-4823-A8B2-4805598F35BD.jpe

Mons Meg had a go at straightening out Kevin Knight’s track in his little Diamond Jubilee Challenge diorama.
4C5DD196-F20D-4460-877D-03463BA314E8.jpe

And then we were back to Keen House and stowed: it’s next going up in November/ December.

The whole weekend had a further twist, as CF was filmed for a TV programme next year.

It really was a fantastic weekend for meeting old friends and chatting: totally informal. Thank you to John Aldrick and the Association for organising it.

Tim