NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Thanks for posting those images, Julian.

An 03/04 diseasel is de rigueur for an East Anglian byway.

20210911_111516-01.jpeg

I've had mine out and about today on Project X. A pleasant hour was spent shuffling a couple of wagons about.

20210911_111538-01.jpeg

How much fun can you have with two sidings?

20210911_111606-01.jpeg

Quite a lot apparently.

Rob.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
I've also been tinkering with another Hornby product, a BR Standard brake van.

As acquired. 20210911_162013-01.jpeg

The dark wash in the process of removal.

20210911_170051-01.jpeg

Aftermath of application of weathering powders and Dark Earth Acrylic spray paint.

20210911_210117-01.jpeg

20210911_213432-01.jpeg

20210911_213527-02.jpeg

Still to do is the roof and some tweaking of the underframe.

Rob.

jonte

Western Thunderer
Modest progress continues on wiring up at Cropsham, although I must admit that I have been diverted to some work on my 4mm project at the new , smaller, version of Whatborough Yard - but that is another thread! With my capsulotomy procedure now only eleven days away I am happy to say that all the track wires are laid in on the shunting board including the sector plate. In the process I found that I had mis-counted the number of switches I had drilled the control board to take :oops:! In actual fact it may prove to be what artists call a happy accident in that I can locate the sector plate switches adjacently, one above the other as opposed to side-by-side, which will, in fact, make operation both easier and more logical to avoid mistakes ;).
So there we are- another step forward and hopefully trains will be running in a matter of weeks...........! Watch this space.

Roger.

Thanks for posting those images, Julian.

An 03/04 diseasel is de rigueur for an East Anglian byway.

View attachment 148703

I've had mine out and about today on Project X. A pleasant hour was spent shuffling a couple of wagons about.

View attachment 148702

How much fun can you have with two sidings?

View attachment 148701

Quite a lot apparently.

Rob.

Liking the flow of the track, Rob, and the uncluttered appearance of your ‘preliminary’ layout of structures and features.

Jonte

Edit to say that I’m admiring the muted tones of you ‘vans’. Jonte

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Lovely.....what about a W&U tram? Has anyone tried the ModelRail version?
Julian

Hi Julian.

I had a pair of the skirted versions, bought for a proposed W&U layout but that didn't happen though I painted and weathered the buildings, two of which now grace Project X.
I intended to keep one but got sidetracked by the idea of a Western Region project and sold both, for what was effectively the amount I bought them for.

I then decided against the WR project and reverted back to East Anglia...........

Normally I am quite focused on projects and once settled on one will see it through. However, this year has been a bit haphazard to say the least with much faffing about which I attribute to a few things coming together.

I had an exchange of emails with Mick Bonwick around this time and as a result of his kind advice and common sense, Project X was started. Sadly, Mick is no longer with us to see the results.

Going back to the Model Rail J70, they are lovely models however, I tried four before arriving at two deemed to have acceptable running.

Two had a distinct waggle, not unexpected due to the short wheelbase but these were excessive. Kernow confirmed they had quite a few returned due to this.
The other two were very quiet but seemed to have a slight tight spot, despite much in the way of running in. Once noticed.............Removing the body and running the chassis on its own showed no such tight spot.
Replacing the body and back it came. Turning the model over and I could see the motion, though simplified from the models without skirts, ran very close to the side skirts.

Removing the bodies of both I could see semi-circular wear marks on the inside of the skirts, consistent with the rotation of the motion.

Removing part of the motion gave enough clearance, and we are talking a gnat's wotsit here, and the end to the tight spot.

Otherwise they are fab and yes, I should have held onto one.......

Rob.

Last edited:

Alan

Western Thunderer
Rob, I can see the makings of a bleak winter scene (perhaps a light sprinkling of snow) after looking at your mock ups for the new layout. Would love to see that. It would be a change from your rather lovely other layouts. An interesting challenge.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Rob, I can see the makings of a bleak winter scene (perhaps a light sprinkling of snow) after looking at your mock ups for the new layout. Would love to see that. It would be a change from your rather lovely other layouts. An interesting challenge.

Others have mentioned this elsewhere,Alan but I can confirm that there will be no snow. Good thought but no.

Winter, maybe but no snow.

Rob.

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Thanks Rob for the feedback on the J70, such a shame that this seems to be the case with the running on a few RTR models.

Hmmm..winter scenes...have you seen the Elmwell Village O gauge layout that was featured in the BRM a few years ago? It basically was based on the W & U but showed 4 seasons in 4 periods by rotating the scenes...I just Googled and got some pictures on Flickr. East Anglia offers good scenery effects.

I built a Ks J70 many years ago using a Tenshodo motor bogie, P4 no compensation but it ran beautifully (on flat track!). I now have a scratch built 4 wheel tram in O gauge on an old Lima chassis, noisy but runs very well. There are subtle differences between the 4 and 6 wheel trams. Iain Rice wrote an article in Model Railways on the 4 wheel tram at the time he and Bob Barlow introduced the East Suffolk Light Railway saga...1984? Worth searching out as that layout was set in the winter...no snow!

If you look out for the photo albums on East Anglia you will see that there were not just ex GE locos...in one of Dr Ian Allan's books there are examples of Jinties and 4Fs on some of the branch lines. Iain Rice even ran a J72 on his Butley Mills layout...as he said the J69s went north so why not a J72 in East Anglia!

Have fun with this layout and as the others I look forward to seeing progress.

All the best

Julian

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Hi Julian. J72s 69012 and 013 were allocated to East Anglia. Both were moved on as soon as they could by all accounts. Not well liked. They crossed my mind but they're not really needed.

I'm not after a diverse stud of locos. This is after all a small layout. For an exhibition I would have max three locos, a couple of brake vans and no more than ten wagons. Job done. Keep it simple.

I'll keep the 4Fs etc on the S&DJR layout.

Rob.

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Rob, I think you have the ideal formula to layout building, keeping it simple and a few wagons...job done...I like it. That might be why I never finish a project!
Would love to get back to exhibitions to see some of these layouts in the flesh, but then so would we all.
All the best
Julian