NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Very nice, Rob.

I’m especially liking your ageing window frames and weather-worn sills!

Jonte

Moning Jonte.

The white window frames are simply sprayed with matt varnish, weathered with a dusting of dark earth weathering powder and sealed with another coat of varnish.

The building is destined for a layout set in ex-Great Eastern territory in the early 1950s. I wanted to suggest that the buildings were last repainted in the 1920s/1930s, hence the brown doors and tatty windows frames. I will also fit L&NER notice boards.

Rob.

jonte

Western Thunderer
Moning Jonte.

The white window frames are simply sprayed with matt varnish, weathered with a dusting of dark earth weathering powder and sealed with another coat of varnish.

The building is destined for a layout set in ex-Great Eastern territory in the early 1950s. I wanted to suggest that the buildings were last repainted in the 1920s/1930s, hence the brown doors and tatty windows frames. I will also fit L&NER notice boards.

Rob.

A very good morning to you too, Rob.

Very convincing it is too.

An unusual project that I will keep my eye on.

Bestest.

Jonte

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
The next building to suffer at the hands of paint and weathering powders will be the proposed station building for Lambton, the planned ex-Great Eastern branchline terminus.

This is a Midland structure but I think it will look the part one suitably adorned. It was bought second hand and one side has been repainted in Midland Railway colours by the previous owner.

Rob.

20210208_195155-01.jpeg 20210208_195137-01.jpeg 20210208_195209-01.jpeg

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning all,

Its all about the buildings at present. The brick buildings above are destined for Outwool, the W&U inspired goods only terminus.

Following this is a small blt, again ex- Great Eastern.
The buildings for this will again be ready to plant items and the majority, if not all will be timber.

Before starting on them, I thought it best to practice.

Initially, I was going to paint these buildings in the post 1937/38 green and cream. However, I've come around to the earlier brown and cream.

I decided to try this out on a sheet of Wills wooden planking.

Starting with a base colour of Humbrol 103 cream, the lower was painted in Tamiya flat brown.
Weathering was the progressively applied using Humbrol weathering powders.

Yes, it is very distressed but this is the look I'm after. Overall, I want a very down at heel branch terminus.

It was definitely a worthwhile exercise to produce a test piece rather than dive in to trying this on a building.

This then was the starting point.

20210213_090815-01.jpeg

A comparison.

20210213_091004-01.jpeg

The finished article.

20210213_085002-01.jpeg

Rob.