Tom's 3D Printing Workshop

paratom

Western Thunderer
Just started getting back to work on my GWR goods shed. Here are my 3D printed parts for the crane that will go inside the shed but will still be visible from the outside.

Attachments

• Components.JPG
    Components.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 124
  • Goods shed crane.jpg
    Goods shed crane.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_3384.JPG
    IMG_3384.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 118

paratom

Western Thunderer
Here are two 3D printed masters for Camkits, the left loco is for the Midland Railway A Class kit and the one on the right is for the Cambrian Railway 73 Class kit. They will be cleaned up to an injection mold finish before being sent to the casters in Birmingham.

Attachments

• IMG_3586.JPG
    IMG_3586.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 84
4mm Guttering

paratom

Western Thunderer
I wasn't happy with what was available commercially for 4mm guttering so I decided to 3D print my own. I decided on Ogee guttering for the goods shed and at first I designed the guttering on its own with the support brackets attached and no trough. The trough was then milled out on my milling machine to give a more realistic look to the gutter. The end result wasn't too bad but a very tricky operation and time consuming. The reason I did this was because I thought my 3D printer would not be able to handle the thin sides and they would need support when printing. With a leap of faith I decided to push the printer to its limit and print a gutter with the trough, support brackets and this time with the facia attached. Printing at 0.01mm layer thickness with no supports proved to be a success and with the washable resin, cleaning the 3D print was made easier. If my build plate was bigger I could have printed out the correct lenght for the goods shed but instead it had to be printed out in two lenghs which will be joined when attached to the goods shed.
Untitled-1 copy.jpg IMG_3635.JPG
IMG_3638.JPG

Last edited:

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
I wasn't happy with what was available commercially for 4mm guttering so I decided to 3D print my own. I decided on Ogee guttering for the goods shed and at first I designed the guttering on its own with the support brackets attached and no trough. The trough was then milled out on my milling machine to give a more realistic look to the gutter. The end result wasn't too bad but a very tricky operation and time consuming. The reason I did this was because I thought my 3D printer would not be able to handle the thin sides and they would need support when printing. With a leap of faith I decided to push the printer to its limit and print a gutter with the trough, support brackets and this time with the facia attached. Printing at 0.01mm layer thickness with no supports proved to be a success and with the washable resin, cleaning the 3D print was made easier. If my build plate was bigger I could have printed out the correct lenght for the goods shed but instead it had to be printed out in two lenghs which will be joined when attached to the goods shed.

Hi, some excellent work on the guttering. I hope you don't mind me saying that at the moment folk aren't getting the full benefit of your work as the images being posted are not being attached fully. At the moment we see small images that have to be clicked on:

rps20211120_074113.jpg

I think you're missing a step when uploading. When drafting the post, place the cursor where you want the image and click on the "full image" button next to the loaded image:

rps20211120_074225.jpg

That way we'll get to see more of what you're doing. Result should be a big image in the post like this:

Components.JPG

All the best.

paratom

Western Thunderer
Just started getting back to work on my GWR goods shed. Here are my 3D printed parts for the crane that will go inside the shed but will still be visible from the outside.
Goods shed finally finished. The chimney and iron work for the doors were all 3d printed along with parts for the crane. The ogee guttering and down pipe brackets are also 3D printed. The crane unfortunately was too tall to go in the goods shed as it fouled one of the cross beams inside so it is surplus to requirements. Fortunately there is a crane outside that another club member made and placed.

Attachments

• Shed (1).jpg
    Shed (1).jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Shed (2).jpg
    Shed (2).jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Shed (3).jpg
    Shed (3).jpg
    234 KB · Views: 19
  • Crane.jpg
    Crane.jpg