Traction Engine Lamps

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Back before the old king died, I started to build a 3" scale Fowler traction engine but, like so many projects, it fell by the wayside and I eventually sold off the parts that I had made. While having a bit of a tidy up recently, I came across these little lamps that would have been used on the engine. Not wanting to sell them on too, I decided to clean up the castings and get them working. Oh yes, they are designed to take a little bulb powered off one of those thin batteries. I've finished the main bodies and am now working on the tops. I know that they are not railway related but, interesting all the same.

Jon

IMG_3255.JPG

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
All cleaned up now and ready for painting once they've had a good clean. I'll need some 1/16" x 1 1/8" brass rivets to replace the temporary pins and some glass lenses would be much better that these plastic ones. Not sure where to get glass lenses so, will try an opticians first.

Jon

IMG_3256.JPG IMG_3257.JPG IMG_3261.JPG

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Trevor
Not quite sure but maybe simply mount them on some brackets and fix to my bookshelves.

Jon

P.S. Any news on those tender springs?

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
IMG_3268.JPG IMG_3269.JPG IMG_3270.JPG IMG_3276.JPG IMG_3277.JPG

Let there be light!
Here they are, finished and with a little bulb wired up and lit. The lenses are still the original plastic type as not yet managed to get to the opticians to see about some new ones. I found some 1 1/8" long x 1/16" rivets and threaded them up 10BA. I then opened up some 12BA nuts and used these to hold the rivets in place. I'm quite pleased with how they've come out although, the photograph makes it look as if there is a very bright light showing when, in actual fact, it's not so bright. Now to make up some brackets :).

Jon

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
I had had the batteries since about C 1985 and I had them tested by a chap and they showed full power. He did say that once they were put in use that they may run down very quickly. He was right, they did and probably 10 minutes at the most. I'll have to find some more.

Jon

Spitfire2865

Western Thunderer
What kind of batteries are they?
Perhaps whatever mount you make up for them can have a power input to bypass internal batteries and run on mains. Would make for a more reliable display piece.

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Trevor
That sounds a little more than I wanted to do. I'll see about some new batteries just to see what they look like on full power.

Jon