Train Operations At Matlock Bath

paratom

Western Thunderer
I am doing some research on Matlock Bath station with the intention of maybe modelling it in Midland Railway days. I came across this photo

in the book 'Midland Through The Peak' by Brian Radford and it has perplexed me. The caption states that it is a Midland Compound that is waiting to complete its return journey to London having dropped off its day trippers at the station. As far as I'm aware the station never had a turntable so how did the loco turn its self around. The only explanation I can think of is it journeyed up to Matlock to use the turntable there or it left St Pancras tender first and used the cross overs at the station to shunt the train on to the other side of the tracks ready for the return journey. I have also include a track diagram

from Bill Hudson's book 'Through Limestone Hills' to illustrate how the last train movement could have been achieved. This was a main line station and I doubt that a train would have been allowed to sit in the station for a long period of time. Any suggestions on how this train movement could have happened would be interesting to know.

Attachments

• 14021101.jpg
    14021101.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Track Plan.jpg
    Track Plan.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 20

Suddaby

Western Thunderer
As it says on the caption, it's an excursion from St Pancras to Matlock, so after dropping off passengers at Matlock Bath, it would then proceed to Matlock and drop the rest of its passengers there. Both places are a "destination" for day trippers as you might say. From Matlock I would expect the ECS to proceed to Rowsley ( as stated by Tony) for loco servicing and turning. There was no TT at Matlock, and as you say this was a mainline and would be busy.

Kevin

paratom

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the feedback. This was in LMS days I wonder if the Midland Railway did the same thing. How would I find out as I assume excursions would not be in the time table ?

Tom

Last edited: