Trade TT Returns

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Crazy. Idea and thread.

Peco making scale TT track to match the European TT models that manufacturers like MTB-Model are making to a high standard makes a lot of sense.

Introducing British models in 1:120 scale makes no sense at all unless they have scale wheels. European stock is much wider than UK stock so over width wheels and bogies or cylinders aren’t as obvious as they will be on UK models. A 31 class with the bogie side frames sticking out beyond the body will not look right. Steam locos will be worse. Not to mention the availability of 3mm scale kits, details etc. but nothing in 1:120 scale.

Neil

Western Thunderer
Crazy. Idea and thread.

Peco making scale TT track to match the European TT models that manufacturers like MTB-Model are making to a high standard makes a lot of sense.

Introducing British models in 1:120 scale makes no sense at all unless they have scale wheels. European stock is much wider than UK stock so over width wheels and bogies or cylinders aren’t as obvious as they will be on UK models. A 31 class with the bogie side frames sticking out beyond the body will not look right. Steam locos will be worse. Not to mention the availability of 3mm scale kits, details etc. but nothing in 1:120 scale.

I doubt that Peco and Heljan have decided to commit time, money and effort without considering this issue. My guess is that the difficulties will be no greater than those posed by E.M. gauge where 00 profile wheels set to (almost) scale width fit between bogie sideframes.

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
I doubt that Peco and Heljan have decided to commit time, money and effort without considering this issue. My guess is that the difficulties will be no greater than those posed by E.M. gauge where 00 profile wheels set to (almost) scale width fit between bogie sideframes.

I think, Peco and Heljan (and others) will be fine as long as they concentrate on models of diesels and electrics without outside cranks. For example, when I used the bogies from a Hornby 00 diesel to motorise a British H0 electric (with new bogie sideframes of course!) I ended up with the sideframes set about 0.5 mm outwards from their 'scale' positions on each side. If the sideframes had been made from thinner material or the wheels had been code 90 instead of code 110 there would have been no need for any error at all.

PMP

Western Thunderer
A6E5D4EB-965F-4C69-B6D6-5974175711FB.jpeg
The first TT products are out, sturdy eco friendly packaging, quick rummage indicates quality of the products is good too. Laser cut buildings are very nice indeed, opened the signal box kit and wanted to start building it there and then!

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
All credit to Peco for introducing 1:120 buildings, albeit GW :(, to complement their track.

Therefore someone somewhere will be modelling a closed GW branch line as there is (at the time of writing) no 1:120 british stock available other than the projected Heljan cl.31.

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
Slightly off topic. I installed an 0 gauge settrack unifrog point last week. It’s really very good. The closure rails are bonded to their adjacent stock rails and the frog (which can be switched) is tiny, so will probably be left dead.

I have one of the Setrack points in my test track and I left the frog disconnected. Everything runs fine.

When I was making a video of my present loco project I saw the wheels climb up onto the vee and climb down from the vee. It didn't make for very interesting viewing but the vee is a few thou above the closure rails. I wouldn't have seen it with a naked eye. The video also showed me there was no wheel drop (this was with Slater's wheels). The acute angle makes for a short gap at the crossing.

I "like" this turnout, I know it is somewhat compressed but somehow it looks much better than the Peco 2 ft radius point for H0.

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
All credit to Peco for introducing 1:120 buildings, albeit GW :(, to complement their track.

Therefore someone somewhere will be modelling a closed GW branch line as there is (at the time of writing) no 1:120 british stock available other than the projected Heljan cl.31.

West Bay before the coaches arrived?

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer
I think it's a really exciting prospect especially newcomers to the hobby. I modelled Swiss hom for many years & it was the perfect scale track. I know that the scales are different but I could fit more into a smaller space & this will appeal to modellers space starved who don't like N.

Who knows I could end up finally making Ashburton.

michael mott

Western Thunderer
it looks just like 2.54mm. :)

in my world, both systems are necessary, lots of electronics components are based on decimal inch, but all our mechanical components are fully metric, so conversion is common.

in light of Government initiatives, I’m taking my motorbike in to have the speedo recalibrated in furlongs per fortnight.
in light of Government initiatives, I’m taking my motorbike in to have the speedo recalibrated in furlongs per fortnight.
Made my day!!
Michael