7mm US model dabblings

PhilH

Western Thunderer
4005 was converted to oil firing in December 1946 as a result of a coal strike, when many other locos including Challengers were similarly converted. That ties in with your drawing date of November 1946. However it wasn't a success on the 4005 as the single burner used caused leaks in the firebox and the loco reverted to coal firing about March 1948.

Scanlon

Western Thunderer
Gentlemen, may I be allowed to join this select club? About 20 years ago I became interested in USA steam, particularly after a visit to the Snoqualmie Railroad Museum in Washington state. There I found a book on Northern Pacific RR super steam and became hooked. Up until then I thought all US steam was just muscle but the book taught me otherwise and I realised how sophisticate the post 1920 designs were.

My first foray into US locos was this Sunset Models N&W J 4-8-4
280118.JPG
Alas it is no more in my collection.

Clive Neale, one of the Heyside group also had a love of US motive power and purchased from Kohs & Co a model of the second series of Chesapeake and Ohio Allegheny 2-6-6-6. We spent a lot of time discussing the model and recently I have secured it from his estate. The model is about 34” long and about 7.5 kilo in weight.
IMG_3865.JPG

IMG_3877.JPG

IMG_3874.JPG

The model comes with its own form of sound control but is said to be DCC compatible. On my behalf Tim Ingmans is investigating with Kohs what if anything is required to make it compatible to our NCE equipment.

I understand there has always been considerable debate as to whether the Big Boy or the Allegheny was the largest and most powerful USA simple articulated locomotive. All I can do is quote from the Huddleston and Dixon Jr. book entitled The Allegheney Lima’s Finest, “As magnificent as the Big Boy was, however, it will have to relinquish a bit of its hold on the title “biggest” to the Allegheny. It was not the tallest. It was not the heaviest. It did not have the largest boiler. And as magnificent as it was, it did not boast a factor of adhesion close to that of the 2-6-6-6. Both of these engines were superb and both design groups created machines that have held all of us in awe.”

I think it is good that there is rivalry between American authors just as there is in Britain. Thank goodness it is possible for some of us to witness the magnificence of the Big Boy in steam, alas the Allegheny can only be viewed in museum.

Personally I don't really care, I'm delighted with my Allegheny and just have to find a suitable layout to run it on.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Y'all welcome to come along for the ride :thumbs:

Huddleston is to the C&O and N&W that Kratville is to the UP and Church is to the SP, all good authors producing good detailed and top quality books on their chosen subjects.

There will always be the Allegheney viz Big Boy debate but each was built for a specific task, occasionally the N&W Y6b is thrown in but they were an older design and whilst big and impressive are not quite in the same league.

I do like Alleghenys (a lot) and have a set of works drawings, not a full set but enough to work from, I'm also a fan of the Y6b and a bigger fan of the N&W A class (and yes I do keep browsing the N&W historical site drawings making wish list up for purchase ;)), superb machines for heavy and fast flat land work, like the Challengers their power kicks in above 40 mph making them hard to equal.

Finding decent models of any of these in imported brass is hard, they don't come up for sale often and I've only noted two Alleghenys for sale in recent years, one on a web site and this one mentioned to me by Richard a few years ago, I'm glad it's gone to a good home :thumbs:

Look out also for Huddlestons C&O Super Power Steam Locomotives book, it has some Allegheny chapters but also other C&O heavy engines and puts the Allegheny into context with other classes.

Scanlon

Western Thunderer
Hi Mick,
This is the model Richard mentioned to you. I talked myself quite easily into acquiring it but waited for a couple of years in case the family got a better offer. They didn't so I'm a very happy bunny.:)

I have a copy of Huddlestons C&O Super Power Steam Locomotives book . That book plus a beat up copy of C&O Power by Shuster, Huddleston and Staufer really were the final push I needed to get me to make an offer on the Allegheny.

The trouble is there is a Sunset Model of a NYC J1 Hudson going begging, it's very tempting but never say never. In truth I'd like a C&O Hudson or a Greenbrier. Then there's a Northern Pacific A4 - no don't go there!
e0a9aad761641a6cf6b3968fad32b87c.jpg
I'll keep readers advised about the DCC issue.

Roger

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Some good old fashioned US style check book modeling took place a few weeks ago, actually a plastic card was involved but only to take numbers off. And it arrived during the week.
S4 1.jpg
S4 2.jpg
S4 3.jpg
S4 4.jpg
It is an Overland Models Alco S4 in 1:48. It is the Pennsy version with huge aerial along the hood. Built in 1985, it looks like it has only been out of the box a couple of times and test run a few yards. It has a large Sagami can motor and enclosed gear tower drive. After being a bit stiff to start with it runs beautifully, crawling along at 2 volts. This is my first brass loco and I don't expect there to be many more, most of the 1960s and 70s brass was not that detailed and didn't run that well. The mid 1980s seem to be the high point in terms of accuracy and mechanisms. Anyway this one will be heading north to become Canadian Pacific 7110, involving changes to the cab front (back) windows, adding an extended range fuel tank on one side, replacing the PRR toolbox with a Watchman heater, removing the aerial and additional steps. It will also be converted to P48.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Perfect, sometimes you just have to retail therapy once in a while :thumbs:

I agree with the quality and the 80's saw a reasonable jump in detail and fidelity, with corresponding price hike, the problem is ) if you negate those once in a special occasion purchases) you're not left with much choice. Drive mechanisms can be changed and upgrade, all mine will need doing so in due course, you'rs sounds like it already has a good system.

I keep looking at the OMI U50's that pop up now and again, not overly good models considering but when you compare with the alternative MTH offerings which are positively Corgi like, then what choice do you have; at the moment it's walk by.

I'd very much like to know what you use to get the lacquer off with, I've found it hard as nails and they appear to solder with quite a high temp, just extracting one or two bent pieces off the challenger tender took a lot of heat, mind, a lot of the tender is cast or thick etch so quite a chunky heat soak going on.

In the end I had to bead blast the tender, worked well and left a satin finish but it soon tarnished very quickly, I'd prefer a chemical option if I'm honest.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Hi Mick,
This is the model Richard mentioned to you. I talked myself quite easily into acquiring it but waited for a couple of years in case the family got a better offer. They didn't so I'm a very happy bunny.:)

I have a copy of Huddlestons C&O Super Power Steam Locomotives book . That book plus a beat up copy of C&O Power by Shuster, Huddleston and Staufer really were the final push I needed to get me to make an offer on the Allegheny.

The trouble is there is a Sunset Model of a NYC J1 Hudson going begging, it's very tempting but never say never. In truth I'd like a C&O Hudson or a Greenbrier. Then there's a Northern Pacific A4 - no don't go there!
View attachment 147572
I'll keep readers advised about the DCC issue.

Roger
That's what I like about C&O and N&W, drove right through the middle of many towns in the hills, the railroad was there first but folks just plonked their abodes down yards from the tracks.

Greenbriers are nice but I tend more toward the Berkshires which visually look a bit more chunky, but there isn't much to choose between them :thumbs:

soo4513

Western Thunderer
On the subject of all things USA, a friend of mine organised a 3D print for an SW1 shell . It is designed for an atlas o sw9 chassis and deck. Looks like an interesting build.

Attachments

• 32D07B64-69BF-4667-AB9C-C269CAFB16C0.jpeg
    32D07B64-69BF-4667-AB9C-C269CAFB16C0.jpeg
    117.9 KB · Views: 27
  • E15EE1EF-CF4D-4CC0-A304-7A0F52B00C35.jpeg
    E15EE1EF-CF4D-4CC0-A304-7A0F52B00C35.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 792A8EDE-B48D-41FD-A13F-ECBA7C834F4C.jpeg
    792A8EDE-B48D-41FD-A13F-ECBA7C834F4C.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 21
  • DD7E91FA-8CB4-4DB6-A72B-F083225B17C4.jpeg
    DD7E91FA-8CB4-4DB6-A72B-F083225B17C4.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 23
Its not obvious in the video, but its a real pull up the gradient there starting from almost the platform ends. I know the small driver diameters help, but that was a fairly long train and the engineer / driver did well to get up to speed and maintain it up the curbed drag past the old Lacawanna Station. I've seen multi unit diesels struggle up that part of the line starting from the yard. (The operator of that line mainly uses Alcos and they can put on a good show getting some freight going out of the yard and up that hill!)

Scanlon

Western Thunderer
Phew, I thought my wallet was going to take a bashing Mick.

This is an interesting model but it is not a C&O Hudson. Having interrogated my books the bell is in the wrong position, sandbox is too broad and the front of the smokebox is completely different from any of the prototypes in my books. I believe it is in fact a New York Central J3a.

Thanks for looking!
Roger

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I wasn't overly sure, as you say there are differences so I wondered if it was one of a batch that might look like this, but it's not :thumbs:

mickoo

Western Thunderer
And then there were two.

Quite why I need another Union Pacific 9000 I don't know, but the price was very right and they are impressive models.

The newer one is in front, it's less tarnished but has more corrosion under the lacquer. It wasn't until I put them side by side that I noticed the first (rear) one is fitted with a front end throttle, I didn't know Sunset made those sort of changes to the production run.

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Just beat me to it.....:rolleyes:

The front end throttle indicates a superheated loco.

Sometimes the forward throttle is mounted on the steam dome - all depends on the locomotive builder.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Just beat me to it.....:rolleyes:

The front end throttle indicates a super heated loco.

Sometimes the forward throttle is mounted on the steam dome - all depends on the locomotive builder.
Not technically true in this context or for many US engines...all the time.

Both engines are superheated, large bolted access cover behind chimney on smoke box.

As built all the Union Pacific class 9000 (in Union Pacific terms of documentation, drawings etc there were classed as the 'Union Pacific' type, for running departments and crews they were simply Big 9's) were superheated.

There are five batches of UP, UP-1 & 2 were throttled at the dome and remained so for their entire lives, UP-3 & 4 were built throttled at the dome but had front end throttles fitted from 1937 onward. UP-5 were built with front end throttles from new.

A front end throttle is a near 100% indication of superheating, lack of front end throttle is not a 100% indication of no superheating.