Prototype Westerns Detail Photos

Vulcan47

Has to be Marazion in Cornwall, which is a stone’s throw from Penzance. You can just make out the old Pullman camping coaches under the railway bridge, which were a feature of this location for many years and give it away. Once under the railway bridge ‘Invader’ will have Mounts Bay with St Michael’s Mount on her left and a little further down the line Long Rock Depot on her right, before reaching the terminus of Penzance. Lovely location, just a shame there’s no ‘Westerns’ any more; apart from the very occasional visit of D1015.

Nice photograph - a ‘Wizzo’ basher’s paradise; thanks for sharing it.

Renovater

Western Thunderer
Has to be Marazion in Cornwall, which is a stone’s throw from Penzance. You can just make out the old Pullman camping coaches under the railway bridge, which were a feature of this location for many years and give it away. Once under the railway bridge ‘Invader’ will have Mounts Bay with St Michael’s Mount on her left and a little further down the line Long Rock Depot on her right, before reaching the terminus of Penzance. Lovely location, just a shame there’s no ‘Westerns’ any more; apart from the very occasional visit of D1015.

Nice photograph - a ‘Wizzo’ basher’s paradise; thanks for sharing it.
Yes you're right on the location, i was stopped at the signal just before the bridge. On a previous visit i remember going onto the coaches and if i remember correctly they were numbered and named, i think there were six of them there. "Marazion pullman coaches" in google is bringing up images. To imagine we're coming up to fifty years ago for that image, it's amazing. For "bashing" it had to be Reading Gen in 70/71 on a saturday afternoon for me, it was non-stop, the best being the double headed warships on the down "Cornish Riviera" coming through on the fast with the horn going.

Last edited: