Prototype Western Region ex GWR track side images

westernfan

Western Thunderer
i took these photos back in april this year of Bronwydd station the hub of the Gwilli Railway situated a few miles north of Carmarthen along this route were branches to lampeter Newcastle Emlyn and on to AberystywythP1000360(1).JPG P1000354(1).JPG P1000350(1).JPG P1000348(1).JPG

westernfan

Western Thunderer
some more images taken at Tintern , the line from Monmouth Troy to Chepstow closed along with others in the area in 1958 [attachimg=1][attachimg=2][attachimg=4]20b.JPG P1010023.JPG P1010021.JPG

westernfan

Western Thunderer
its a tourist attraction theres a few bits of rolling stock, an information centre , picnic area and theres a 5inch gauge track  that runs along one of the platforms  the Old Station as its now known is worth a visit if ones in the area  :thumbs:

28ten

Guv'nor
There is a very nice cafe in the station and a small art gallery in the signal. the whole area would make a very nice model

westernfan

Western Thunderer
28ten said:
There is a very nice cafe in the station and a small art gallery in the signal. the whole area would make a very nice model

Although the route  was a single line Tintern had three platforms and a small goods yard , it must have been something to do with Tintern abbey being one of the first tourist attractions .

I like the layout of Monmouth Troy always fancied it in n gauge tunnel one end and the two viaducts flowing apart at the other end 

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
I think Tintern could well be a destination for me at some point  :drool: 8) 8) 8)..........  :scratch: maybe a family holiday that just happens to be within striking distance  ;) ;D

Phill  :thumbs:

28ten

Guv'nor
Phill Dyson said:
I think Tintern could well be a destination for me at some point  :drool: 8) 8) 8)..........  :scratch: maybe a family holiday that just happens to be within striking distance  ;) ;D

Phill  :thumbs:
You are within easy reach of the Dean forest railway as well.

Simon

Flying Squad
Yup, I'd be happy to oblige should the need arise!

Back to the thread, great pictures of a lovely spot. On a recentish visit with Captain Kernow to Tintern I slithered down the bank to gain the southern abutment of the missing river bridge and then fought my way back along the trackbed and through the tunnel to the clear trackbed running south. I got a few cuts and ripped my shirt but it was quite an interesting excursion.

To my eyes the most amazing survival is most of New Radnor Station a bit further up country - I expect Cynric cycles past it regularly 8).

The place is amazing, Station building, Goods shed, at least one hut and the water tower were still there when I last looked and it is a really lovely spot in which to dream of a 14XX in the countryside. The goods shed timberwork is still painted light and dark stone :eek:. It survives as it was (and I think still is) a caravan/camping site.

Sorry no pics, they are stuck on another computer ::)

Simon

28ten

Guv'nor
Yes I know New Radnor  :D it is still a campsite and it is still remote. There are lots of old railway buildings dotted around these parts you just need to know where to look. On the other side of the hills you can find Erwood station http://www.erwood-station.co.uk/ a nice coffee and cake is served  :))

westernfan

Western Thunderer
RE Tintern there is short stay camping max two days i think , I used to pass Erwood station regularly using the b road it was a quciker route than the 470 . I would have liked to have seen Three cocks junction in its day.

so guess what and where this is

[attachimg=1]P1010020.JPG