What is this bird? not in my back garden....

Discussion in 'Talk' started by Dog Star, 30 January 2021.

1. simond

simond Western Thunderer

I had a Lancia Fulvia, lovely car, which had a rather fetching air intake on top of the bonnet.

Unfortunately, it was the air intake for the cabin ventilation, whose aroma was not aided by the addition of a small bird which had executed a perfect carrier-deck landing before being engulfed by said intake.

I managed to extract most of it, but some of it…. It ponged for several weeks…

michl080, richard carr and 3 LINK like this.
  2. Max Midnight

Max Midnight Western Thunderer

Our local friendly Sparrowhawk has taken a couple of wood pigeons recently.

3. simond

simond Western Thunderer

We have a vacancy for a sparrowhawk (m/f) or similar, nice area, plenty of suitable accommodation, and all the bloody pigeons it can eat...

The cat tries, but he only gets the stupid ones!

Wagonman likes this.
  4. Max Midnight

I'll post that on the 'situations vacant' section on our bird table for you Simon.

simond likes this.
  5. Arun Sharma

Arun Sharma Active Member

One of the many delights of attending the Reading O gauge trade show is the adjacent Caversham bridge over the Thames where several of these may be seen. This one was photographed in June/July - I don't know if they can be found there in December.
    21-black swan-1.jpg The slightly bald looking Egyptian Goose can also be found there.

6. richard carr

richard carr Western Thunderer

Simon

What you need is one of these

20210715_175011.jpg

I believe there may even be a hawk version £16.99 on Amazon

I don't know if it works as it only arrived this morning, but I am sick of the crows crowing at 5am in the morning, I'll let you know if it works.

Richard

eastsidepilot likes this.
  7. Focalplane

Focalplane Western Thunderer

We have a pair of collared doves who are delightful. The other day they were seen seeing off a magpie, nasty cannibal of the bird world. Why is that doves are good, cousin pigeons are totally bad!

8. simond

simond Western Thunderer

Max

thanks, I’ll let you know.

Paul,

I love the magpies, we have a family of them, aerial clowns, jokers, they’re great.

and they don’t make stupid “woo woo” noises at five in the morning.

We do have a local crow, who hates our cat with a deep vitriolic loathing, and from time to time shouts loudly about it. I’ve taken to telling him/her very firmly to shut up, which, to my great surprise, seems to work…. The cat dozes throughout on the patio table with a visible “don’t care” attitude.

Richard,

My experience of seagull-scaring plastic owls on boats is that they perch (and poo) on them. You’d be better buying earplugs. Cheaper. More effective. I’m guessing the same is true for pigeons, who, though annoying, are too damn smart.

cheers
    Simon

9. AJC

AJC Western Thunderer

Like the Egyptian Geese the black Swans are introduced exotics and are year round residents: there’s a flock on the Itchen in Southampton which contrast nicely with the Mute Swans.

Adam

Arun Sharma likes this.
  10. eastsidepilot

eastsidepilot Western Thunderer

Hope it works for you Richard, we have Jackdaws at dawn, although we have been woken by Owl's hooting in a tree in our garden at 1.30 am on a winters night :D

Col.

11. richard carr

richard carr Western Thunderer

The owl experiment is still ongoing, it does seem to have some effect but not a complete scaring away of the crows.

These have been turning up this summer and eating all the apples on the apple tree.

woodpeckerR5EO4002.jpg

There must be about 20 locally and they can make an awful racket, but thankfully not at dawn.
    They are also too heavy for our squirrel proof bird feeder so they can't get the nuts !

Richard

12. Len Cattley

Len Cattley Western Thunderer

We have a lot of them out hear, they do make a lot of noise, some of the adults have a nest on the resort.

Len

13. Yorkshire Dave

Yorkshire Dave Western Thunderer

This appeared today - amazed to see it the open - It must have got lost and was trying to burrow next to the house.

Seeing it struggle the mole was lifted and returned to some bare earth in the garden whereupon it promptly disappeard downwards.

Mole.jpg

14. Wagonman

Wagonman Western Thunderer

We have Jackdaws nesting some 12 yards from the bedroom window. an't say they bother me much but our new cat is very interested...

Richard

15. Max Midnight

A couple of days ago Mrs M was woken by a tapping on the bedroom window.
    She came to the conclusion that it probably wasn't the postman as he would have needed a ladder and how would be have got it round the back of the house with the side gate locked?
    When she pulled back the curtain a Magpie flew off.
    No idea what it wanted.

16. Osgood

Osgood Western Thunderer

The silver spacing strip in the double glazing panel maybe?

17. Rob Pulham

Rob Pulham Western Thunderer

When I opened the curtains yesterday morning we had a visitor in the form of a female Sparrow hawk on the back fence.

She obligingly sat there while I went into the dining room and grabbed a camera.

In this shot I think she had noticed Chris look out of our bedroom window.
    IMG_1614.JPG

IMG_1605.JPG

IMG_1606.JPG

IMG_1609.JPG

After sitting for a good five minutes or more, she spotted something on the embankment and flew off for a look.
    IMG_1628.JPG

By coincidence she showed up the day after I had been looking on the web to see if Sparrow hawk's would tackle wood pigeons (after listening to a particularly disagreeable grumbling from one on the roof above the bedroom). It seem that while male Sparrow Hawks only take small birds, females will indeed tackle prey as big as wood pigeons

18. Ressaldar

Ressaldar Western Thunderer

Out watering the pots this evening and this little fella came along and helped itself to what was left in the fat ball feeder

20210825_180417.jpg
    20210825_180452.jpg

quite happy to come and go without even looking my way, despite me shoving the phone camera within inches of her nose!

cheers

Mike

19. Dog Star

Dog Star Western Thunderer

Those photos are really neat and tidy. Anyone care to suggest the species of the little fella?

Last edited: 25 August 2021
  20. Ressaldar

Ressaldar Western Thunderer

Hi Graham,

my money is on a field mouse.

There has been a nest on and off in the corner of the garden for quite a few years and we quite often entice them out with cheese tit bits.

cheers

Mike

Wagonman likes this.