7mm Wilne Lane Yard

Discussion in 'Layout Progress' started by alant, 29 November 2020.

1. alant

alant Member

This is my 7mm Cameo Layout I have been building on and off (more off than on!) over the last couple of years or so. Scenic area is approx 54 ins x 20.5 ins.

I like the idea of trains appearing and disappearing behind buildings so have designed this to do just that along the front edge.

It's designed to be operated by a tank loco pushing 3 wagons onto the scene and then replacing 3 wagons already in place. The two headshunts are deliberately short (loco + one wagon) to make shunting the front siding awkward. Still much work to do, including a builders yard premises in the front along with fencing and general clutter etc.

Layout1.jpg Layout5.jpg

2. cbrailways

cbrailways Western Thunderer

Hi Alan,

Looks very good and just the inspiration I need to finish my shunting layout being built following a similar theme. Any chance of some further photographs showing the full extent of your layout and fiddle yard?

AdeMoore, adrian, alant and 1 other person like this.
  3. alant

alant Member

Basic track plan attached - not to scale!
    Plan.jpg Layout3.jpg

woolv, paulhb, David Hall and 19 others like this.
  4. cbrailways

cbrailways Western Thunderer

Thanks Alan. More motivation for me to push onwards.....

AdeMoore and alant like this.
  5. Bill Campbell

Bill Campbell Western Thunderer

Hi Alan

It's an inspirational layout in such a little space.

Have you considered making your little fiddle yard into a sector plate or traverser?
    That could then make a loop with the crossover and expand the shunting potential.

Best wishes.

JasonBz, cbrailways and AdeMoore like this.
  6. alant

alant Member

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the feedback. I did consider "completing" the loop but decided to leave things as they are.

Regards,

Alan.

AdeMoore likes this.
  7. Deano747

Deano747 Western Thunderer

Hi Alan

Very nicely captured. The atmosphere is already growing. The colour on the rails is, in my opinion, just right. Out of interest who's and which colours have you used?

Regards, Rob.

alant likes this.
  8. mickoo

mickoo Western Thunderer

Once again, proof that less is more :thumbs:

Lovely modelling and attention to form and space.

LarryG, adrian and alant like this.
  9. alant

alant Member

Thanks Rob. I can't remember exactly what I painted the track with. I think it was a mixture of acrylic Tamiya Flat Red and Black along with Rust from Revell for the rail sides and chairs. The sleepers were painted with a brown/grey mix and then dry brushed with a light grey.

10. alant

alant Member

Layout8.jpg Layout7.jpg Layout6.jpg A few more pics showing the Garage/Workshop greatly inspired by Chuck Doan (Google him if you are not familiar with his fantastic modelling) and the coal yard. Still work in progress.

Attached Files:

11. alant

alant Member

A bit more progress showing progress to date with the embankment alongside the garage, goods yard entrance and fencing alongside the factory.

Garage1.jpg Goodsyard2.jpg Fence1.jpg

12. 76043

76043 Western Thunderer

I really like your layout, just the sort of thing I'd like to do once all my wagons are finished. Is the J50 a Connoisseur Models kit? Was it easy to build?
    Cheers
    Tony

cbrailways likes this.
  13. alant

alant Member

Hi Tony,

Yes the J50 is a Connoisseur kit. I built it some time ago but don't recall any problems. I have also built Jim's Jinty and 4F as well as his "starter kit" loco many years ago.

Alan.

76043 likes this.
  14. steve50

steve50 Western Thunderer

Fantastic little layout, very inspiring and so much detail in a small space. I like the plan and the "awkwardness of that front siding", look forward to seeing some more pics. :)

cbrailways likes this.
  15. D602bulldog

D602bulldog Member

Very nice little layout.

cbrailways likes this.
  16. David Hall

David Hall Active Member

What a wonderful little layout. Less is more and all that. The overall picture/balance of the scene is fantastic. The colours - both layout and stock - meld together fantastically too.

Inspirational for folks like myself with next to no space available. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to seeing more.

Dave

cbrailways and 76043 like this.
  17. ChrisM

ChrisM Active Member

What a wonderful little layout Alan, full of character and really looks the ‘part’ - I particularly like your use of quite muted colours, they really bring the whole scene together.

Chris

cbrailways likes this.
  18. alant

alant Member

Thanks Chris, I have made some more progress and will post a few more photos in due course.

cbrailways likes this.