7mm Wilne Lane Yard

David Hall

Western Thunderer
This is absolutely wonderful Alan. Just dripping in atmosphere. I have seen it in the past (evidently at least, as I 'liked' your posts and even commented at the time (terrible memory!!)), but I'm pleased it has been brought back into my consciousness.

It would be great to see some more photos in due course.

Also, can you please explain a little about how you do operate the layout, or is it simply just a case of shuffling the three wagons into the order required by the cards?

A couple of locos and half a dozen wagons - that's right up my street. I'm a minimalist at heart and love these type of layouts. Proves you don't need masses of space for O gauge.

Inspirational :)

alant

This is absolutely wonderful Alan. Just dripping in atmosphere. I have seen it in the past (evidently at least, as I 'liked' your posts and even commented at the time (terrible memory!!)), but I'm pleased it has been brought back into my consciousness.

It would be great to see some more photos in due course.

Also, can you please explain a little about how you do operate the layout, or is it simply just a case of shuffling the three wagons into the order required by the cards?

A couple of locos and half a dozen wagons - that's right up my street. I'm a minimalist at heart and love these type of layouts. Proves you don't need masses of space for O gauge.

Inspirational :)

Hi David,

Thanks for your feedback. Operationally I roll the dice to determine which of the two sidings is to receive the first wagon turned from the cards. Odd number is factory siding, even is the goods/coal siding. This is then repeated for the next two wagons.

The train is then brought in and shunted. The previous three wagons are then removed back to the fiddle yard. I only allow maximum train length of three wagons and loco in the fiddle yard when shunting.

Hope this clarifies things.

Regards,

Alan.

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Just saw this for the first time I agree with the less is more concept, what a great atmosphere you are capturing with minimal space and equipment.

Michael
Snap!! Not sure how I've missed this one before but it's a cracking little layout! :thumbs:

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Alan, this is a lovely model, with plenty of operational potential. Although you have a few ex LMS Locos it is quite generic isn't it?
As David Hall said way back in 2021....less is more. And Michael earlier today.
Thanks for the posts and please keep reminding us of this layout.
Julian

alant

1F now lightly weathered, crew and auto couplings fitted.

Attachments

• IMG_20220731_110350.jpg
    IMG_20220731_110350.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 64

alant

Lovely little layout!

May I ask how you've achieved your brickwork finish? It looks very convincing :)
Thanks. Brick sheets are plasticard and I usually paint all over with Humbrol brick red and then when dry a slightly thinned coat of a cream/grey colour is painted all over for the mortar but wiped off the top surface before drying. Some of the cream/grey is retained on the bricks.
A few individual bricks are then picked out with a mix of brick red with either orange or a dark grey. Once finished I then usually dry brush a mix of red and orange or red and grey to tone things down and blend together a bit if needed. I tend to use Humbrol acrylics now.

Brian T

Western Thunderer
What a fantastic little layout,
I should imagime it`s giving you just as much enjoyment to play opperate as it is to build.
Really like the mix of building and the fact that you`ve got all those nice litte 'viewing angles' round things too.....:thumbs:

Cheers,
Brian.

John Rich

This is a cracking layout, such nice modelling showing 7mm to it's full advantage. I love seeing layouts with view blockers, something I will be doing on mine.

alant

I am exhibiting Wilne Lane Yard at the Princes Risborough Exhibition this Saturday. Come and say hello if you are attending.