7mm .

Neil

Western Thunderer
I'm not sure what advice I can usefully give; I think if you had come to any firm conclusion there would either be an obituary or news of a relocation already posted. If it's any help (it probably isn't) I still have Shell Island gathering dust on a shelf under Morfa. I couldn't and still can't bring myself to part with it; though there have been more recent models that have been sold. In some senses this is a bit silly as it's outlived it's raison d'etre being no longer needed as a test track or exhibition layout. However it still pleases me in the same hard to pin down way that it first did. Actually I'm maybe arguing to decide with the heart rather than the head.

S

SteveO

What a terrible shame. This was one of the small layouts that got me thinking O gauge a few months ago.
That said, it would be interesting to see what you come up with to replace it...

S

Simon Dunkley

It is rather hefty.... six foot long makes it a bit awkward too, but it's the weight that's the real problem...
Jordan,

Can you persuade a friend to help you move it? And is this going to the loft for storage between outings, for storage long term, or to be set up and played with?

If you will be able to operate it in the loft, then get a friend to help you. Likewise, if it is for long-term storage, securely wrap it in thick polythene sheets and similarly get it up there. If you will be taking it up and down repeatedly, start a new layout!

I still have Shell Island gathering dust on a shelf under Morfa. I couldn't and still can't bring myself to part with it;
Please don't: it has inspired too many people, and is also a useful background for photos, etc. Besides, if you found yourself less able to get up the stairs (e.g. a broken leg, or somesuch) you could have it brought downstairs to play with during convalescence!
Actually I'm maybe arguing to decide with the heart rather than the head.
Yes, and I hope Jordan follows suit.

14 years ago I disposed of a layout to a friend: it had served its purpose, and neither my head nor my heart wanted to keep it - it would otherwise have gone in the bin. But the layout is still going strong, albeit extended and largely rebuilt, because it suits the new owner.

marsa69

Western Thunderer
Hey Jordan,

If you can wait until the end of the week I'll give you a lift. I'm going to be in the Cosford/Telford area Thurs/Fri and hopefully moving to Telford from Aug onwards (if I get this new post that is) :D

marsa69

Western Thunderer
Now, now chaps play nice :D I'm sure come Guildex time my inbox will be full of people looking for the proverbial inn! :)) Anyhoo not much choice in the matter really as the Quarters at RAF Cosford are crape and the ones in Telford a lot better.

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Now, now chaps play nice :D I'm sure come Guildex time my inbox will be full of people looking for the proverbial inn! :)) Anyhoo not much choice in the matter really as the Quarters at RAF Cosford are crape and the ones in Telford a lot better.

You sure, they haven't tasted your homemade beer, I used the last lot to clean the patio:))

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
I'd swing in favour of keeping it Jordan, even if you can't use it or work out what to do with it at present. If you can minimise the amount of space it takes to store it won't impact too much and you can just wait to see what happens. Its a lovely thing with some nice scenics (especially the derelict building :thumbs: ) and I can understand why you don't want it to go.
Having been in a similar situation, I ended up getting rid of Dungeness Siding because I wanted my kitchen table back (foolish I know, I've only eaten at the table about three times :oops: ) . 18 months down the line and having sold the TV and rearranged the lounge I now have space for the diorama....

I can't deny that storing the bugger for the 18 months would have been a Royal PITA, so if you can avoid that situation, just wait it out...who knows what will happen.

Steve (thinking about phoning the current owner up and see if he wants to sell Dungeness back to me :oops: )

ceejaydee

Western Thunderer
Good to hear that the axe has been postponed.
WR was always a favourite of mine from elsewhere 17 versions or so ago (multiple incarnations of the forum that is as against the layout)

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Special Notice

Keeping this layout.... and... justifies my increasingly tenuous qualifications to be a member here at all....

Maybe you might like to leave such judgements to the WT forum en-masse.... you make models, you entertain, you encourage a degree of decorum - what else do you have to do?

regards, Graham

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Well the general idea at the start (although the remit has been widened somewhat;)) was to have an interest in - and model, preferably in 7mm or larger - the Western Region of BR.... :cool:

In that case you have better qualifications than me Jordan.......:eek:

Western Thunderer
Hey Jordan,

If you can wait until the end of the week I'll give you a lift. I'm going to be in the Cosford/Telford area Thurs/Fri and hopefully moving to Telford from Aug onwards (if I get this new post that is) :D

Would that be Donnington, Telford, Mark ?.

Been there a few times delivering pharmaceuticals.

Steve