Yelverton station

Alex W

Western Thunderer
I'm working on a model of Yelverton station in 4mm scale, set in 1958/9.
I'm working on the buildings at the moment, and my current project is the distinctive pentagonal shaped Up platform building.
The model is being made from plasticard, and I'm currently working on the roof. The pictures show progress to date.
20200108_183359-01.jpeg 20200108_183415-01.jpeg 20200108_183459-01.jpeg

Last edited:

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Alex,

Looks good and captures the essence of the building, I look forward to further updates on this project.

Alex W

Western Thunderer
The roof of the building is finished, and the canopy is nearly done. The roof is built up on a base of 40 thou plasticard. The roof panels are Wills slate sheets, which give a regular appearance I couldn't achieve with hand cut slates. The chimney plugs into the roof, and is removable for painting. I'll add some cast pots when I have done the basic painting. The stack is built up from layers of 40 thou plasicard, and sprayed with textured paintto simulate the rendering.20200114_213309-01.jpeg
Alex

Alex W

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the kind comments. I'm work8ng from photographs and dimensions scaled up from OS maps, so it's an interpretation, rather than an accurate model. As the real thing was demolished 60 years ago I'm not too concerned. I'm currently adding detail before painting which is a stage I'm really looking forward to.
Alex.

Robin Gay

It will be nice to see the finished model. Though they say you cant rely on OS maps, l have often been surprised just how accurate they are when l have made a comparison with known detentions, likewise photos and counting brick courses can be very good when you have nothing else to go by.

Robin.

Alex W

Western Thunderer
The building is currently being painted before final detailing. Paint is mainly Mig acrylics, applied with an airbrush.
The southern end of the building was heavily weathered, as it was exposed to the sea and prevailing wind. It was still in GWR colours in 1959, and probably hadn't been repainted since before the war, so it was looming pretty worn by the time of the model.
To reproduce the effect, the walls were first painted with various mixes of Mig "old wood" and "faded Sinai grey", before being given a coat of Mig scratches effects, and a coat of Mig "new wood". Once touch dry, the "new wood" was washed over with water to activate the scratches effects, and the new wood colour was removed in places using a damp brush and a barbecue skewer to reveal the grey co,ours of bare wood below. I plan to go over this in places with some washes and powders before final detailing.
The brick plinth was painted an orangey brown colour, and brushed with light grey weathering powders (a mix of Humbrol earth, white and smoke) which were wiped of with a moist finger, leaving the mortar colour in the courses.
The roof is built up from plastic card. The base is 40 thou, the slates are the Wills sheets, which don't require additional support, the planked top of the canopy is Slaters planked sheet, and the valence is Slaters. The roof was first painted a dark grey, before being sprayed with "faded Sinai grey", leaving the darker colour showing through in the gaps between the slates. Once dry, the slates were dabbed with a darker grey using a small sponge. One or two slates were picked out with a lighter grey, and the whole given a coat of acrylic Matt varnish to kill any shine, before being given a wash wade up of Humbrol smoke weathering powder, mixed with a few drops of water and decal fix. Much of this was then removed with make up remover.20200213_191441-01.jpeg 20200213_191532-01.jpeg 20200213_191338-01.jpeg
Alex

Alex W

Western Thunderer
It's nearly a year since I posted o0n this. I wanted to get the basic shape of the building done to assist me in setting out the landscape. With that done, I have been able to turn back to detailing the building.

I've done the skylight above the gents. Looking at pictures, I realised that part of the canopy had been repalced with clear glazing, so I cut a hole in the canopy, and fitted a piece o0f Will clear corrugated sheet in place.
31.1.21 DSCF2463.jpg

I've done a bit more on the paintwork. The building was still in GWR colours when the line closed in 1962, and I suspect it was last repainted before the war. My model is set in 1958, by which time the paintwork was well weathered. The building is painted with Mig acrylics. The light stone is Mig "New wood" and the dark stone is mixed from "Old rust" and "Rotbraun " in equal proportions. I made the guttering from Modelu parts. Still some deatil to add. There are various terminal points for telephone wire entering the building, and a light on the southern end. It will need various signs an posters adding too.

31.1.21 DSCF2464.jpg

Alex