Prototype York 1958 to 1961

Devonbelle

Western Thunderer
Fascinating thread, keep the photos coming, whether it be York, Southall or Oxford - I never cease to be amazed as new photographic material keeps turning up, aided by scanners and photoshop. Very many thanks for sharing. Paul

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Prototype pictures are always welcome as far as I'm concerned. The railway has changed so much over the years and for my chosen era (1960 - 1975ish), they're a valuable source of reference material and a huge nostalgia trip too (though sadly, I don't remember steam).

If anyone has any pictures of Slough, especially the loco shed/turntable/coal stage, I'd love to see them please!

Regards

Dan

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
The Kenning Collection (Vaughan, OPC, mid 1970s) has some stunning photos of Slough in the Edwardian period.

Otherwise, GWRJ had a couple of articles on the station... whilst the goods yard has been covered in GWR Freight (Wild Swan from the Titfield Bookshop).

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
The Kenning Collection (Vaughan, OPC, mid 1970s) has some stunning photos of Slough in the Edwardian period.

Otherwise, GWRJ had a couple of articles on the station... whilst the goods yard has been covered in GWR Freight (Wild Swan from the Titfield Bookshop).

Thanks for that Graham. I think I may have the GWRJs you mention, though I've no idea where they are at present. I didn't know about the GWR Freight book though, as it's not one I've bought so far. Before getting a job with British Airways, my dad worked for a while in the large goods shed at Slough, when it was "National Carriers" - anyone remember them?

Regards

Dan

p.s. - There's a cracking picture of Slough Coal stage and shed in the (Wild Swan?), book on GWR engine sheds. :thumbs:

West Junction

Western Thunderer
Hi Dan
My father was in Slough Panel from when it opened in 1963 to when he went on sick leave in 1976 unfortunately never to return. He took a few photos at Slough, by then the turntable was removed and the photographs only show the shed from the same position taken from the box. I will try and post some under Slough, they were all taken in the mid 60's. The Wild Swan book is Great Western Engine Sheds London Division with plenty of text, photographs and drawings of the Slough buildings on pages 155 to 191.
Peter

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Hi Dan
My father was in Slough Panel from when it opened in 1963 to when he went on sick leave in 1976 unfortunately never to return. He took a few photos at Slough, by then the turntable was removed and the photographs only show the shed from the same position taken from the box. I will try and post some under Slough, they were all taken in the mid 60's. The Wild Swan book is Great Western Engine Sheds London Division with plenty of text, photographs and drawings of the Slough buildings on pages 155 to 191.
Peter

Hi Peter

I look forward to seeing your father's pictures very much. Several years ago, I was working a train to Acton and running early, I was put into the loop at Slough and stopped at a signal very near Slough panel. On contacting the signalman, he said I was likely to be stood there for about 30 minutes and did I want to come up for a cup of tea? I duly accepted his kind invitation and I had a nice time chatting to the chaps on duty and though their names escape me now, it turns out two of them were 7mm modellers and members of the Gauge O Guild! Only when it was time to leave, did I notice the selection of black & white photos of signalboxes from the Slough area adorning the stairwell - perhaps some of the pictures had been taken by your father?

Regards

Dan