3D Printing - whether to buy, what to buy and how to use it?

Bill Bedford

Western Thunderer
My biggest concern is that it gets used a lot in the flurry of new-purchase-new-toy-excitement, and than simply gets in the way.

I find it takes very much longer to produce the CAD files than to print the STLs, but then, I tend to print whole wagons and the output should present a minimum effort to me post-processing* and to the customer when he receives it.

*Self-destructing support structures would be a Good Thing™.

simond

Western Thunderer
Thanks all,

Bill,

it’s a different beast but our Ultimaker at work has the capability to print soluble supports - does take a while for them to dissolve though, particularly if they’re “inside” something. I do get the support removal could be a pain with a resin wagon.

the Ultimaker does sterling service printing jigs & fixtures, and a few production parts which are not visible to the customer - eg PCB supports and covers. If I thought I could get the same utility from a resin printer, I’d feel justified buying one for work, and doing the odd model for myself, but I doubt that at the moment.

HNY
Simon

Ian_C

Western Thunderer
Right, first link is to the Sea Vixen megathread. It’s taken me ages to get from the start where assessment of existing plastic kits turned into "sod it, let’s start from scratch and make my own kit". Beware, lots of banter, but I’m dropping you in at a point where test prints of undercarriage and wing fold mechanisms are being put together as proof of concept.

Sea Vixen FAW.1x2

The second thread is shorter, so I’m dropping you in at the start.

28 Sqn Westland Wapiti (1/48) scratch 'n' print
That really is outstanding stuff. Thanks for the link. Somewhat of a mountain to climb though - master the 3D pricing process with whatever hardware you choose, get sufficiently competent on CAD to create the data to print from, but the real challenge is often having access to the prototype information (drawings, photos, or an actual prototype) to start with.

John Baker

Western Thunderer
Simon, I'm a little late to the party here. The comments earlier in the thread about temperature are spot on. If the resin isn't in the mid-20's you'll get lots of failures. If you do decide to house your printer in the garage, let me know and I'll send you details of the simple heater I made, which sits inside the printing chamber itself. For cleaning, I use a pickle-pot with IPA and an ultrasonic cleaner, and I made a DIY curing chamber from a scrap sheet of aluminium, and a cheap turntable and UV LEDs from Amazon. And because my garage is quite dusty, I built a desk/cabinet for it too.....maybe going a little too far, but heyho.

IMG_2499 4.JPGIMG_2489 3.JPGIMG_2500 4.JPG

simond

Western Thunderer
Thanks John,

the only space remotely like that in the chaos we call home is on my daughter’s desk. As I mentioned, she’s at university, and her comment was “you’re going to buy one aren’t you?” when I asked if she minded…

maybe a silicone dog feeding mat required too!

cheers
Simon

Elegoo - Jim’s experience

Big Train James

Western Thunderer
As noted in the US Dabblings thread, I have recently gotten an Elegoo Mars 3 printer. GrahamMc has suggested I might contribute my insights here since Simon and others are considering the Mars 3 as well.

First I'll list out the specs of my setup, then move on to discuss the general printing experience and my impressions of the Mars 3, cleaning/curing station, and resin choices.

Elegoo Mars 3 printer ($350 from Elegoo, via Amazon, cheaper at the moment apparently :mad:)
Elegoo Mercury Plus v2.0 2-in-1 wash and cure station ($150 from Elegoo, via Amazon, cheaper via Elegoo direct but not available in the US at the time)
Siraya Tech resin - Fast ABS-like Navy Grey (~$35-40 via Amazon)
Siraya Tech resin - Build Sonic Grey (~$35-40 via Amazon)
Siraya Tech resin - Sculpt Grey (~$35-40 via Amazon)
99% Isopropyl Alcohol for secondary and tertiary cleaning in tubs
91% Isopropyl Alcohol for primary cleaning in a spray bottle
Paint booth - for ventilation
Chitubox Pro slicer (1-year free subscription included with the printer)

Various other sundries used to varying degrees, include respirator, lots of nitrile gloves, lots of paper towels, scraper, flush nippers, x-acto, hair dryer or heat gun (but I don't use the heat function), silicone mat, silicone spatula or scraper, paint brush, funnel, paint filters. What you have on your "other supplies" list can vary based on your process, as usual there is more than one way to do things. Somethings should not be negotiable, like the gloves, it would be really imprudent not to use them.

Running through Simon's bullet points from Post #1:

There are all sorts of resins available, and yes they most often exist for a specific reason. They can be formulated for fast cure times, or as water soluble clean-up (which does not mean wash off in your sink though), plant based, heat resistant, for investment casting, flexibility, hardness, strength, in short pretty much all the reasons most other types of plastics exist. For our purposes, usually, we want something that mimics the plastics we already typically use, which are ABS and styrene. Finish quality is also important, as is precision. Some other factors are in play, like smell and price, but there are enough options that those things need not have much impact on decision making.

Grey ABS-like resin is probably fine for 99.99% of what we do, so it's a good place to start, and is also one of the cheaper types of resin available. No point in spending big on test prints. Save that for later, when you are printing masters for burnout. The other two resins I listed above, the Sculpt and the Build, will be tested for print finish quality against the ABS-like Fast, and the Sculpt will also potentially be tested for it's qualities in mold making at some point.

For printer resolution, at this point I would only bother with a 50 micron machine if you want one of the larger form factor printers like the Elegoo Saturn. If you are going to get one of the typical small format printers, there is really no reason to not get a 4k version like the Mars 3 or similar. The difference in price between the Mars 3 and the Mars 2 Pro is currently about $50. There's just no point in choosing the old technology unless your budget is extremely tight.

Similarly, there's also no point in getting any printer that doesn't utilize a mono screen. The mono machines cure faster, so print faster. This will make a huge difference in print time, by a factor or 4 or more. The other advantage to mono screens is that they last longer. The screens are a consumerable, they will eventually wear out, so screen life cycle does matter. One thing I don't know, is whether color screens have anti-aliasing capability, if they do not, then that would be another plus for the mono types.

Curing and washing stations are often considered together, it might be more accurate to think in terms of post-processing stations. The printer manufacturers certainly think of them in that light, and with rare exception market cleaning and curing capability as 2-in-1 units that can do both. There are 3rd party options for curing enclosures, and both curing and cleaning stations can be home-built as well. Are either required? Explicitly, no, you could use the sun to cure your prints instead (don't). But the processes are required. Prints will need to be cured after cleaning, and prints will need to be cleaned of excess resin after printing and prior to curing.

Options for curing stations are any of the 2-in-1 units from the printer manufacturers, 3rd party options as linked above, or build your own. There are plenty of examples on the web for the latter. Get some UV LED light strips off of Amazon, some aluminum foil (I would use mylar instead), and build an enclosure from foam-core or a cardboard box, or find a nice sized bucket or bathroom trashcan. People often say to get a small turntable as well, to rotate the part and get exposure to all sides, but I don't think it's necessary for home-built units. The UV strip typically wraps around and around inside the enclosure, so the light comes from all sides anyway. One disadvantage of home-built units is that they lack timers, although I feel confident that something could be incorporated into the assembly to handle that task. You must make sure to get the proper wavelength LED's.

Cleaning stations, I wouldn't have paid for one if it wasn't part of the curing station I chose. That being said, I'm not disappointed that I have it. But honestly, a couple of food storage tubs with lids would suffice equally as well. The difference is that the commercial unit has an agitator that moves the cleaning fluid, as opposed to jiggling the part about in the tub of alcohol, and of course the same timer as used with the curing function. There's really not much more to it. Using the washing function also doesn't explicitly mean the model is fully clean. So when I do encounter stubborn liquid resin hiding in holes or tight spots, the small paint brush is used to brush and dab about in those areas to clean it out. In my opinion, a washing station is the epitome of "your mileage may vary", but I also think it should be the last criteria you consider when assembling a 3d printing "system".

As to what you use to clean, water or IPA or other, it depends on what type of resin you are printing with. Water would be the obvious choice for water-based resins, but it is also sometimes recommended in the curing process for various types of resins. Alcohol or Ethanol (NOT Methanol) are the options typically recommended for most other resins. The alcohol is usually recommended to be 95% plus IPA, although 91% seems to work okay as well. Methanol, or denatured alcohol, is a cheaper option, but can have other chemicals in the blend that are potentially more hazardous to our health. Then there are other cleaning agents like Simple Green, that have been discussed online. They came to the fore during the early days of Covid, since IPA was either impossible to get or outrageously expensive. I voted for 99% IPA for the most part, but more on that later. The short answer here is start with the manufacturer's recommendations and processes. Choose from there if they list options.

Smell? Depends on the resin. Many are being developed to have low odor, Siraya Tech emphasizes this feature for many of their resins. I've been using the Fast, and I haven't found the smell to be overwhelming at any time. I typically run the paint booth fan when I'm printing, and I typically wear a respirator when handling the liquid resin. However, I've forgotten to do one or the other or both at least once or twice, and didn't notice any particularly offensive odor when that happened. Also, in between print jobs, liquid resin sits in the vat in the printer, with the lid on, and I never notice any obvious smell. I can't speak to any other resin at this time, as I haven't used any others.

Conversely, I do have an issue with the odor from the IPA. I also find that the fumes from the IPA can irritate my throat with extended exposure. Again, the odor and fumes can be tolerated for a short time, but ideally as a best practice, I wear the respirator while I'm dealing with either the liquid resin or the alcohol.

Noise, yes it can be noisy. The Mars 3 is supposed to be quiet, but it's actually not especially so. It's not terrible either, but definitely noticeable. The real noise culprit is the spray booth fan. Mine is an older model, and it's quite loud. I don't know if newer units are quieter. If you had the printer running in a back room, I doubt the printer noise would be a concern by itself.

Space requirements, about what other people have suggested already. My work space is about 24" x 60". That includes the printer, wash and cure station, paint booth, several tubs of alcohol, and open work surface area. I could do with a bit less space, but not much, and more would always be nice but not necessary. It is nice if you have a cabinet underneath or shelving to hold supplies and tools.

Are there disadvantages? None that I can think of unless you would use the printer only very rarely, and by rarely I mean statistically equivalent to never. Then it might not warrant the cost of purchase. Better in that case to know a friend that has one.:oops::rolleyes::cool: I guess the other consideration might be access to and fluency with the 3d cad needed to create the models. But in all other aspects, I'd recommend a 3d printer as an extremely useful and powerful tool. I would even argue paradigm shifting, and I don't think that's an exaggeration for myself.

I'm going to wrap this up for tonight. I'll come back tomorrow to talk about slicers, and other thoughts and observations about my experience to this point.

Jim

Last edited:

simond

Western Thunderer
Jim,

thanks for joining the discussion. I hope this thread will be a source of info both now and in the future, and users’ experience, observations and opinions are worth far more than any Google research I might do! Do, please, add more.

it’s interesting that you note the IPA is more of an odour issue than the resin, I've never considered IPA’s odour to be an issue. I shall carry out a carefully controlled experiment on MrsD and see if she finds it offensive - though in all the years of modelling in the lounge (pretty much our entire married life) I don’t recall her commenting on it. Paint, yes, but IPA, don't think so.

thx
Simon

Big Train James

Western Thunderer
Simon,
I don't ever remember the IPA being an issue before either, but I suspect that it may be down to the nature of the 99% version and the volume in use for this application. I don't have anything scientific to go on, just an impression. But anecdotally, I can say that I found the IPA odor strong enough while standing over a small tub of it while cleaning parts, that I thought it best to put the respirator on. I also noted a slight irritation in my throat afterwards, accompanied by the presence of some otherwise unexplained phlegm. I associated the irritation and congestion with the exposure to the IPA, I suppose it could have been exposure to the resin instead. But I haven't experienced a strong sensory reaction to the resin like I have to the IPA.

I'm sure people have varying thresholds for these types of things, both physically and mentally. I will continue to use the respirator while handling liquid resin or cleaning parts with the alcohol, as the precaution is a very minor inconvenience.

Jim

simond

Western Thunderer
Thanks Jim,

I have no idea what “strength” the IPA I have is, I’ll get myself a litre of the good stuff and sniff…

Big Train James

Western Thunderer
The common variants, over here at least, would be 70% and 91%. Both are typically available at pharmacies, groceries, and big box stores.

I usually see 95% or higher suggested for cleaning the prints before curing. I've heard of the 99% referred to as medical grade. I had to order it here, could not find it locally. Be forewarned, it's not cheap, certainly not like the lower octane stuff, and definitely more than the ethanol/denatured alcohol type.

Which reminds me, in my long post, I mentioned methanol. That's incorrect. The options are usually IPA or ethanol. I'll edit my previous post.

Jim

Last edited:

adrian

Flying Squad
Thanks for the comprehensive post it's was extremely useful.
I have recently gotten an Elegoo Mars 3 printer.

Slightly off beat question on this if you don't mind, with the Mars 3 Elegoo says the height is 17.28in. However the height required for operation will be considerably more than that to get the lid off. For some one planning possible locations for the printer this is an important consideration would you be able to help with this dimension. Asking for a friend you understand. :rolleyes:

Big Train James

Western Thunderer
Adrian,
You would need about 26 to 27 inches to get the lid off the machine, under normal circumstances. The lid itself is about 11.25" tall. You have to lift it nearly all the way off before you can start tilting it forward. You would need to lift it a fair ways anyway before tilting, because of the height of the column. But the other consideration is that the printer moves the build plate to about 4" below the top of the lid at the completion of a print. So lifting the lid in that situation requires additional clearance.

You could always move the build plate back down toward the vat, before removing the lid. That would give you more flexibility. But of course that won't work if you print something really tall that uses the full volume of the printer.

Big Train James

Western Thunderer
............ If you do decide to house your printer in the garage, let me know and I'll send you details of the simple heater I made, which sits inside the printing chamber itself.
Hi John,
Could you please elaborate on the heater arrangement? I will need to attain temps in the 25°c to 30°c range for the two of the resins that I want to test. I'm currently running at about 22°c room temperature. I plan on building an enclosure, but I could use a spec on the heater and timer elements.

Thanks,
Jim

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Hi John,
Could you please elaborate on the heater arrangement? I will need to attain temps in the 25°c to 30°c range for the two of the resins that I want to test. I'm currently running at about 22°c room temperature. I plan on building an enclosure, but I could use a spec on the heater and timer elements.

Thanks,
Jim
Apparently reptile enclosure/tank heaters are the item to go for, the Form has it's own and I didn't bother with one on the hobby printer, it's in the house and usually in the low 20's all the time, but that might have been why it was so hit and miss on reflection.

adrian

Flying Squad
Could you please elaborate on the heater arrangement?
I recall John posted a few more photos in his own 3D thread -

Big Train James

Western Thunderer
Okay, let's move on to my specific experiences with the two machines. I'll start by saying that I only ever really considered the Elegoo brand of printers, if only because I was most familiar with them. So while other brands may offer similar specs, I never bothered to do comparisons. I also went with the Elegoo because it is widely used, and I presumed that as such there would be a lot of support and experiences I could look to for resolving issues or questions. Ironically, I haven't had any issues yet that were specific to the Mars 3, only the types of problems that are common to the resin 3d printing process in general.

I've contemplated a 3d printer for a while now, but I've been waiting specifically for a machine with the Mars 3 specs since Elegoo came out with the Saturn large format printer. Which is to say a machine with a 4k screen but the smaller form factor, thus yielding higher XY resolution. I figured it was bound to happen eventually. Of course now they are talking about 8k screens, at four or five times the price for the Mars 3, but I'm very happy with the 4k machine so far, and especially in the context of cost.

I have no meaningful issues with the Mars 3, at least not yet. I've only been using it for about a month now. My only small nitpick at this time is that the lid is a very snug fit to the base. It is meant to fit over a rebate in the base unit, the lid is just a touch undersized, so that it must be firmly grasped and slightly flexed to get it to snap down over the fourth side of the base. It will not just set down over all four sides of the base rebate without that slight manipulation. I don't consider this to be a problem, in fact I suspect it may actually be intentional as a means of "sealing" the enclosure.

All the other types of small issues that people discuss in online reviews, like lack of wifi, or lack of a charcoal filter, don't bother me. I'm just not inconvenienced by any of those things, at least not yet.

There are two other issues that I am aware of from review videos, they do not affect me, but one should be aware of them when considering the machine. It has been noted more than once that there was a "Z axis wobble" with the Mars 3, where the vertical column will deflect forward slightly each time the build plate lifts up from the vat. This is not something I have witnessed with my machine, but to fair I also haven't looked for it. I haven't looked, because the upshot from the reviews I saw, was that the "wobble" did not affect prints, and I think my experience has borne that out. I suppose I should take a look next time I'm printing. :oops: The other consideration is that most of the reviews I watched were from very early releases of the machine, possibly even prior to release to the general public. Elegoo was supposedly addressing the problem, and I don't see any recent reviews where the issue is still discussed.

The other issue of note, although it should have no effect on print quality, is that there isn't any sensor to tell the machine to stop the build plate during movement in the positive Z axis, such that the machine can effectively drive the build plate straight into the head at the top of the column. This hasn't even come close to being an issue for me yet, but I could see that it may be an issue with a print that required the full height of the printer. But I haven't attempted anything like that yet, and I'm not sure when I will. I'm much more interested in the printer for smaller parts, rather than things like rolling stock bodies or full loco hoods.

The printer is simple to set up, and it's simple to level the build plate as well. All necessary tools are included with the printer. But it's really just an Allen wrench, so alternatives should be readily available if it gets lost. The instruction manual is typical fare for modern times, not especially comprehensive nor translated particularly well. But it isn't hard to follow the limited number of steps.

A handle would be nice to have on the lid. Due to it's size and shape, it can be difficult to pick up with one hand. I often find that once I take the build plate out of the printer, I have to choose between setting it down with excess liquid resin still on it, or having the lid off the printer until I finish the preliminary cleaning of the build plate and contents. What I need to do is fabricate a simple rack to hold the build plate.

For the Mercury Plus wash and cure station, I do have some issues with the washing function. No epic failures or anything, just the sort of mild inconveniences or unintended consequences that make me disinclined to use it.

There are theoretically two ways to use the machine for washing. You can remove the prints from the build plate, and place them in a wire basket which fits nicely inside the included plastic tub. The other option, supposedly, is to rest the build plate with prints still attached, in the top of the basket, and place everything in the tank together. I say "supposedly", because the build plate will not fit in the top of the wire basket. It is ever so slightly too wide. I feel confident that the Mercury Plus was designed for the older Elegoo Mars printers, up through the 2 Pro. Those printers featured slightly smaller build plates, the size was increased for the Mars 3. I have no doubt that the Mars 2 plates will fit into the top of the basket as intended, but the Mars 3 plate does not.

Additionally, the language on the Elegoo website suggests that there is an adjustable bracket to hold the build plate. This is also not true, there is no adjustable bracket. There was a bracket, apparently, with the v1.0 edition of the Mercury Plus, but it wasn't included with the v2.0 edition that I received and it isn't offered as an accessory.

● Wash with platform

If the printed model is not removed from the build platform, please install the build platform on the adjustable platform support (the height of the platform support can be adjusted to fit the liquid level in the bucket, the maximum model height is 120 mm), and then adjust the platform bracket to hang on the top of the pillar to start cleaning.

elegoo bracket.jpg

It isn't the biggest issue for me, since to this point my workflow has been to remove the prints from the build plate before washing in the station. However, removing the prints and placing them in the basket may create a different problem. I've noticed on some of my parts, tiny scratches or gouges on some surfaces. I am wondering if this is occurring when the parts are moving around in the basket as they clean, bumping into the basket wires in some way such that they get damaged.

I need to do a test to see if this is indeed the issue, or if it is something else entirely. The surfaces in question never had supports attached to them, so any damage is not from that. It's something that I need to check into. In the meantime, I've sort of started leaning away from using the cleaning function part of the station. If I can determine that the damage is a product of some other event, I'll go back to using the station for cleaning.

One last suggestion, consider getting something like a tea ball strainer for cleaning small parts, especially if you take them off the supports before curing. Something like this should be cheap and effective.

tea strainer.jpg

Moving on, for curing, I have no issues with the station at all. The only problem I experienced was an own goal, I bought extra tubs for curing the waste resin out of the alcohol, or for curing gloves and paper towels before disposal. The tubs I bought have a lid that will not quite fit under the hood of the curing station, unless I turn them on their sides. I chose a larger rectangular tub thinking I would be able to submerge the build platform in it, but it turns out that I don't do that anyway. The curing station will not turn on unless the lid is in place, so it makes the tubs somewhat impractical for their intended use. Get something round instead, and ideally something that fits on the turntable. Something like these Ziploc containers work perfectly, or the pickle tubs that seem to be common in the online reviews.

ziploc.jpeg

Next up I will talk about slicing software, but I'm going to take a break until later.

Jim