Website Aberdeen University Photographic Archive

Overseer

Western Thunderer
The photographic collections held by The University of Aberdeen will be well known to modellers of Scottish railways but may not be known to others. There are several collections with railway interest. The George Washington Wilson Collection has a large number of postcard images dating from the last quarter of the Nineteenth century into the first decade of the Twentieth century, viewable at high resolution. It is mainly Scottish subjects but the rest of Britain is also covered to a lesser extent, as well as some overseas locations. I was reminded of the non-Scottish parts recently when I came across a photograph which almost shows a subject I have been looking for for quite a few years, North Greenwich station on the Millwall Extension Railway. North Greenwich could make an interesting small terminus layout and there are some published photographs available but nothing showing some parts of the site. I found a view looking across the Thames which includes the station, but unfortunately not very clearly in the background. A small part of the image-
North Greenwich GWW1.jpg
A pity the photographer focused on the Thames barges in the foreground.:( It must be after 1900 as the Greenwich foot tunnel entrance is there. It looks like some carriages are in front of the station building.

The GWW collection has lots of photographs showing interesting things in the foreground in amazing detail and is well worth a look. The address is: http://www.abdn.ac.uk/historic/gww/ or a search for GWW Aberdeen will find it.

The Aberdeen Harbour Harbour Board Collection is also well worth a look with plenty of railway activity, although the cataloguing is somewhat unusual - including repeated descriptions of GNS wagons as 'Caledonian North Scottish Railway', I would have thought the name of their local railway would have been familiar to university librarians in Aberdeen.