Advanced Passenger Train- E (experimental)

thruxton

Western Thunderer
As an unillustrated update, present work involves the translation of the APT-E bogies into a mixed media construction based on etched brass.

At this stage I am working on only the later coach/car bogies as around 60% of the structure is shared with those of the Power Cars. (For those interested, the original articulation bogies were discarded bar their wheel/axle mounts which were then married to spare PC bogies. This explains the evidence of 'cut and shut' welding work on these items.

The sheer detail of design is taking me some time, but things are looking promising to have drawings ready for the etchers around the end of the month.

thruxton

Western Thunderer
Rivet layout drawing for the Trailer Cars- remeniscent of an Airfix Sunderland. On the model, the glazing and grille areas will be etched brass, the remaining rivets all to be applied to the main body master- in this case, all has been drawn up to correspond to size and spacing of Archer Fine Transfers HO scale rivet decals.

In original form, the Power Cars were flush finished- presumably finished when the BR Derby team were similarly flush with funds.

thruxton

Western Thunderer
For those following this thread, I have been experimenting with 3D printing for the axleboxes. Things are looking good enough fo me to heve commissioned a set to use throughout the train 'as is' by which I mean to use the 3D prints as the working articles. Bogies etc are to be multi media but have had to await the 3D trials.

On another front, I decided to trial services of our new local laser cutter (usual business decorations for the household wall). Firstly I have to say the response to a modelmaker has been terrific and the pricing something like 15% of those I used some 3 vyears ago. We are talking in terms of £8 per for the and pieces for a 65 odd foot carriage in accurately cut 3mmm mdf (other materials available). For those interested in making cores for moulding (or building direct), check out your local laser cutting suppliers.

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Can you post some pictures so I can visualise what you have done and have had done mate as I am up to my neck in Mk2's and work at the moment and have slightly lost the plot. ................. (awaiting the usual comments from the usual suspects), lol

thruxton

Western Thunderer
Above pics are 3D drawings of Trailer (top) and Power Car axleboxes. The top knobs represent the bump stop but in this moels case mounts a small compression spring that fits a hole in the bogie frame and stops against the frame top. The 'scale springs' are cosmetic and are being made from appropriate copper wire. I've kept any chamfering or other reduction of thickness to a minimum.

The boxes are sized to take caged roller bearings 1.5mm for Peartree 'Lowmac' wheelset for the trailers, 2.5mm for Slater extensions on the power bogies (note the 2.5mm- I believe these are widely advertised as 2mm). So, that is 4mm and 6mm OD respectively. The 'Lowmac' would be about right for the APT-P throughout.

I'll post pics of the 'car kits' when I take delivery next week.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Slaters do both 2mm and 2.5mm axle extensions. I've used the 2mm versions in a DMU power bogie...
And I suspect you're using 'shielded ball bearings' rather than 'caged roller bearings' as roller bearings are hideously expensive in those sizes, if they're available at all!

Steph

thruxton

Western Thunderer
Steph, You are of course right about the bearings- sorry to mislead.

Re the 2mm extensions, every time I have ordered them I have received 2.5mm and consequently felt I had grounds to believe the 2mm version were mythical.

Anyhow, as I've yet to actually see the 2mm version, the 2.5mm is used for this project- I have quite a collection of them (all bought as 2mm, including direct from Slaters).