4mm An EM Workbench: selection box

William Butler/Bristol and West Tar Distillers 74
  • AJC

Western Thunderer
    Finished one of the two. This is the insulated William Butler tank and it's quite eccentric, in some ways, with features of 'normal' cylindrical tanks, including a pressure relief valve, steam inlets and, catwalks. The latter are presumably a function of the cladding and, as modelled are a bit speculative but add an interesting visual contrast to the earlier T.4 (and the Slater's kit). It's quite chunky - about the size of the SR 8 plank in the background.

Butler_Tank_011.jpg

On the ends you have the steam lance inlets but not a whole lot more, a bit fiddly to do from wire and tube but they're a good solid representation.

Butler_Tank_009.jpg

Side on the most significant details on this rather slab-sided thing are on the solebar and below. The ownership plates are a bit crude, but there's no way I was going to get a set custom-etched: they're just 5 thou' strips on a backing sheet of 15 thou' with some fuse wire around the edge.

Butler_Tank_010.jpg

Not too bad, I think.

Adam

• AJC

Western Thunderer
    Well, that was too straightforward, wasn't it? After the last round of pictures, Steve Carter (who occasionally contributes to EM Gauge 70s) got in touch with the inevitable additional information. Tourret's big book of railtanks (revised edition) has the photograph of Butler no. 64, (with accompanying text) which he claims was one of two (73, being the other, both built 1932). As we shall see, this is a deduction based purely on those works photos. There is also a drawing by E.B. Trotter and a photograph of Bristol and West Tar Distillers number 74 which is clearly to the same design. Coincidence? No.

William Butler & Co. divested themselves of their tar business in 1952, passing it to - and you may be able to see where this is going - Bristol and West Tar Distillers. I found this simply by the application of Google: Archaeology online: William Butler and the Coal-Tar Distillery at Crew’s Hole - Bristol Museums. So number 74 was certainly an ex-Butlers vehicle and the batch size greater than two since it seems probable that the number series was retained by the new company.* So the Trotter drawing is helpful, and shows that I have the dimensions more or less spot on, but it proves me wrong about the walkways! What this shows are slats set in groves on cross members, probably a bit like this:

Butler_Tank_012.jpg

Obviously this now needs a bit of patch painting and different lettering - the Butler wagon I've already got is being rehomed...

Adam

* Can we prove this? Probably. How? [Note that this isn't a criticism of Tourret, simply demonstrating the limits of what he published - and the scale of the job looking at just one wagon, part of one, small, fleet].

1. I could access the GWR/BR(W) PO wagon registers, not that anyone, in anything I have read cites an archival call number. These registers can be found with a bit of digging: I found the Midland Registers easily: Search results: "Private Owner" midland | The National Archives). They're not at the NRM (which does hold lists for the GER, NER, LMS, M&GN - and other minor railways - LNER, MS&L/GCR: https://www.railwaymuseum.org.uk/sites/default/files/2018-03/Technical Archive List.pdf). Not sure about the Southern - will have to talk to Mike King or John Arkell at the HMRS - a handlist of these records would be a really useful thing to be publicly available, with all the appropriate call numbers included (If it is, please tell me! EDIT - the answer may well be in Cliff Edwards, Railway records: a guide to sources (PRO, 2001) - it's readily available for a quid or so: I've ordered a copy).
    2. EDIT - had I read the NRM file properly, I'd have seen that the GWR Register is at York: it's arranged by plated weight and consists of files C&W/PO/GWR/1-9.
    3. The relevant Chas Roberts records survive at York: Charles Roberts & Co Ltd, railway wagon builders | The National Archives (though the HMRS have the photos and some of the drawings). I think we may reasonably assume that Tourret did not consult these.
    4. For completeness there are surviving records from the Bristol and West Tar Distillers with Bristol Archives: Bristol & West Tar Distillers Ltd | The National Archives and (company records, probably not helpful here, at TNA: Bristol & West Tar Distillers Ltd | The National Archives).

Last edited:
  • AJC

Western Thunderer
    Just a quick snap before it heads off to a new home: William Butler's no. 57. A slightly impressionistic model, but a nice take on the Slater's kit.

Butler_Tank_013.jpg

I hope the next owner gets the same enjoyment out of using it that I have from detailing and weathering the thing.

Adam

Last edited:
    Rebuilt River
  • AJC

Western Thunderer
    A light project which leans into a heavier duty one for the future. The tender shown below is a Bachmann one for a N which will (once I've built it) be hung on the back of a Rebuilt River. The rest of the N will be either borrowed (boiler, some fittings) or sold on (chassis), but that's probably not going to happen all that soon though there is a suitable SE Finecast chassis ready for the purpose.

Because the Bachmann frames are too close together for EM, I've replaced them with an etch from Mainly Trains via Wizard Models and axleboxes from RT Models. A new coal space, lifting brackets, fire iron brackets and water softener hatch complete the modifications. The mixed wheelsets have some prototypical provenance but boil down to wanting to use what I had rather than buy more bits in. Will anyone notice? I doubt it. Here is an example, however:

St. Mary Cray Junction. 31826 & works train. 14.12.58 by Roger Joanes, on Flickr

Will the loco be finished before @Stevers completes his? Not a clue.

U_Tender_001.jpg

U_Tender_002.jpg

I am quite pleased with the pipework on the back - the valve handle for the steam heat pipe is a 2mm scale handrail knob. Yes, the coupling should be shackled from the hook (and the front one will be), but there are limits to my commitment and I had several assembled screw couplings ready to go.

U_Tender_003.jpg

Adam

Last edited:
    LSWR B4
  • AJC

Western Thunderer
    Another loco' project. This is - fairly obviously - an LSWR B4, a Dapol body with a SE Finecast chassis. B4's are notorious in model form for the 'challenging' clearances. Obviously, there's the usual crosshead/coupling rods conundrum and in this case we're dealing in fag paper stuff, especially with the connecting rods and the end of the slidebars, but clearance is clearance and the chassis runs. Steps are a work in progress, but I can see that I'm beguilingly close. Once that's done, it's the final detailing: brakegear and sandboxes. I can then paint it black and start inventing excuses to run a Plymouth Friary engine on a Somerset-based layout. It's more plausible than 'Brighton Works', but not much. A railtour?

3088_001.jpg

Adam

Roads Reconstruction T4
  • AJC

Western Thunderer
    After a very long wait an envelope from Australia dropped onto the doormat on Friday. Thanks to @Overseer I now have two fully lettered tar tanks (and more letters for a third when I can lay hands on a Slater's kit). Here's the pair straight from the coat of matt(ish) lacquer and prior to weathering.

Butler_Tank_014.jpg

What was William Butler's no. 74 as it was in the hands of Bristol & West Tar Distillers, pictured at Swindon in 1953. All very simple, though like the original signwriter, I found that there wasn't quite sufficient room to space the 'Bristol' (bottom right) properly so had to cut all the letters out and apply them separately. This actually makes the model look more like the real thing...

Tar_Tank_pair_002.jpg

Fleet numbers on the ends - the red drop shadow on T4 is just visible.

Roads_Reconstruction_Tank_006.jpg

The red shading is more apparent side on, but still quite subtle. I think it'll show slightly better once weathered with less sheen. That's for another day, however. Thanks again, Fraser.

Adam

Roads Reconstruction T11
  • AJC

Western Thunderer
    I've managed to secure a Slater's kit for a Chas Roberts Tar tank and so Roads Reconstruction T. 11 is on the way. Apart from having oil axleboxes, T.11 is as close to the Slater's kit as one might wish so this should be relatively simple.

DSCN6451.JPG

I've put the tank together. Looking at the top, I wonder whether Slater's simply forgot to mould the manhole assembly as what you get looks for all the world like a location pip. Going on some of the drawings in Tourett's big book of railtanks I determined that the assembly should be around 2' 6" diameter and 9" tall (so I've made a new one for T. 4, I'd had my doubts about that bit for a while). The tube for the job was a slice from a dead promotional pen - the relic of a conference long past - welded on and filled with Miliput. Once all this has set, we can get its wheels on.

Roads_Reconstruction_Tank_007.jpg

Adam

Roads Reconstruction T11
  • AJC

Western Thunderer
    A bit further on. I've added a 10 thou' disc cut with the compass cutter and on top of that a 20 thou' disc (5.5mm diameter) and another 10 thou' disc (6mm diameter) to represent the basis of the lid. The latter discs were cut freehand: I cut an appropriate strip, took a square off the end, cut the corners off to make an octagon and then finessed those corners round. The black bit in the middle is a stub of tension lock coupling mount, roughly rounded off and then bedded in with Miliput to represent the pressing.

Roads_Reconstruction_Tank_009.jpg

While that's setting, thoughts turn to the chassis. The problem with having such a clear prototype picture is that you have no excuses about not making a decent fist of copying it. As is usual with these things, what you get is almost, but not exactly the same as the kit. So here's the starting point: note the plates (none quite in the right place), the old type of label clip, the headstock brackets (different, you'll note), and the tension bracket in the middle which is ok, but could be better. I've already made a start on modifying the axleboxes from a grease type to the flat-fronted oil variety in the pic'.

Roads_Reconstruction_Tank_008.jpg

Ten minutes later:

Roads_Reconstruction_Tank_010.jpg

I've cut away the last of the top of the grease 'box and welded a bit of 20 thou' in so that's where we stop for now. More later.

Adam

Roads Reconstruction T11
  • AJC

Western Thunderer
    This one is gradually coming together. It’s now in one bit at least but I’m kicking myself for not adding a bit of ballast on the inside. Still, this is the interesting bit of the model where the kit is tweaked to better represent the real thing. Different corner plates, axle boxes and a new filler at the top.

AF6ADAAE-03F3-424B-8129-3559298E12DC.jpeg

Next to it is a more complex project, reworking a Parkside Grampus to its earlier incarnation. Are all those door chains worth it?

EF2CBAA2-6C3F-4C84-AB20-6AB3438FDB74.jpeg

Adam

Oxford Rail 12 ton tank
  • AJC

Western Thunderer
    Happy New Year! Having been away over Christmas, including introducing the small person to Granddad's small trains (and the frustrations of the centre off switch on Gaugemaster controllers - a bit much if you're two). There's quite a few wgon projects now on the go and more of these anon, but first, a Christmas present. This is an Oxford Rail tank, a 12 ton RCH design from the early 20th century lettered for Shell/BP (to the 1907 spec's). It is certainly the best RTR railtank (for the steam era, anyway) that's yet appeared in 4mm.

The problem (ok, oversight) on this one is that the lettering is a straight copy of a 1952 image taken by A.E. West (at Axminster). All that lettering down to the solebar plates is crisp and legible and, unfortunately, based on an interwar 14 ton tank which is not quite the same. No problem, the fleet also included some of these 12 tonners. For all I know, the records may still be around, but I have photos showing a couple (nos 2601 and 2794) which show tanks that are nearly identical to the model.

Anyway, here's the model with the wheels popped out for conversion (the star on the tank is too small, btw - a proportion error, I think, easily sorted):

Shell_BP_002.jpg

The conversion to EM (and probably P4) is simple. The axles are a slightly funny length so I swapped a set of Gibsons onto the original axles. The brakegear is a plug-in unit and mine at least was simply levered out with a jeweller's screwdriver. The mounting blocks (under each brake hanger) are thinned at the front by about 0.5mm, the hole on the chassis packed out with a bit of 15 thou' and the brakes reinserted, in line with the treads.

Shell_BP_001.jpg

Because I had a few more to do I replaced the safety loops, but that's an indulgence. At the same time, I took the numbers off and added 3D plates to the solebar (mostly from Rumney Models). The one thing left to do is to revise the axleboxes to make them plate fronted and then renumber and weather. All very straighforward and, while pretty, commonplace.

Adam

Last edited:
    Unfitted Project: SECR open
  • AJC

Western Thunderer
    While exciting things like tank wagons have taken the stage, one of the ongoing projects alluded to above breaks the surface. Looking through what I've done over the last few years there are a few basic types notable by their absence. Most notable are open highs of any sort, especially unfitted examples. So 2022's wagon projects will go some way toward rectifying that. First is one of those wagons I've always rather liked, the precursor of the standard SR 8 plank (another favourite). This is the SECR version of that format from the Cambrian kit. It's 9'6" wheelbase and lifting link brake mark it out from the run of the mill as well as those nice X-braced cupboard doors. All that means my usual extra detailing is more laborious.

So what of the kit? It's to the usual Cambrian quality (decent body mouldings, workable chassis, could-be-better buffers and accurate brakes) and the brakeshoes in particular are nicely close to the wheel treads which saves the chore of stretching brake assemblies. Here's where it is today:

SECR_Open_001.jpg

SECR_Open_002.jpg

Inside, however, it could be better: the planks are represented with ridges which had to go and, along with them, all the bolt heads. So I've added them again...

SECR_Open_003.jpg

So this is the first, more on the rest as and when.

Adam

Unfitted Project: Ex-PO high
  • AJC

Western Thunderer
    I’ve been pottering away with the unfitted project this week. Here’s the second, culled from the spares box and a model of a four plank open originally owned by Wickwar Quarries Ltd and captured by the late Don Rowland just prior to withdrawal in 1962.

The body started out as a Parkside RCH five plank which has had the top plank removed and the strapping remodelled to suit. At some point it gained capping irons so I’ve added these (strips of 5 thou’ superglued in place) and the securing clips. These are also strips of 5 thou’. The method I’ve settled on involves tacking them in place with superglue, as seen here:

1E0648EE-6FC4-4C8F-A68E-4D92FD6B0327.jpeg

After half and hour or so, I bend the strips over with tweezers and apply solvent, tidying up a few days later.

B9826316-287D-4538-A738-AFD9AC591CEA.jpeg

The original floor and chassis went under the Bristol & West tar tank you’ve seen before, so this one has some spare Cambrian mouldings from the box of surplus wagon sprues (every modelling home should have one).

Adam

Last edited:
    Unfitted Project: LMS variations
  • AJC

Western Thunderer
    And then three more. The most numerous pre-Nationalisation wagon design and its cousin. I'm making two of the former - LMS diagram 1666 - from the Cambrian kit, with modifications. This was a 9' wheelbase 17' 6" over headstocks unfitted open with independent brakes and the LMS built some 55,000 of the things from 1923 onwards: every post-Grouping layout should probably have one or two.

Dia_1666_001.jpg

The internal planks are represented by raised lines and I've replaced the ends on this one, along with the headstocks. Nothing wrong with the kit ends, but since I was scribing sides and ends for another wagon and had some strip left over I used some of that. What of the other wagon? A rarer bird, but a similar type. Diagram 1895 was quite varied: the 1200 wagons in three lots, one with double brakes and two more with Morton brakes. Mine is one of the latter, based on a Ratio underframe with the steel solebar infilled to represent the real wagon's wooden underframe. The latter is a bit odd as the LMS wasn't really building all wood vehicles by the mid-30s, but is makes an interesting variation, along with the barrow plank on the doors.

Dia_1895_001.jpg

Adam

Oxford Rail 12 ton tank
  • AJC

Western Thunderer
    In a recent MRJ, @Gerry Beale suggested the world and his wife had one of these (rather nice) small oil tanks from Oxford Rail. I've now finished the modifications to mine by replacing the two part RCH-type axleboxes with some slope-fronted examples a bit more typical of the post-First World War, pre-Grouping vehicle the model represents.

Shell_BP_003.jpg

I obviously have to touch in the paintwork, renumber and weather it, but that can wait for a bit.

Adam

Ex-GER van by Oxford
  • AJC

Western Thunderer
    A birthday gift (just a small one), in the form of an Oxford Rail model of a GER 10 ton van. These just about made it into my modelling period, and fundamentally it's a nice model at a very reasonable price.

GER_Van_Oxford.jpg

Regauging to EM is simple enough: I reused the Oxford axles - they're longer than usual - with Gibson wheels slid on (this required a bit of knurling with a large file and a spot of threadlock), but the original wheels are so wide that the brakes aligned with the wheels perfectly. The buffers are very nice indeed so I left them alone, new coupling hooks and links were fitted by drilling into the headstocks and then fixing with epoxy. By my period the vans had gained RCH type number plates and 'modern' label clips for which some Rumney Models etches serve.

Improvements? Well the axleboxes are a little 'flat' - quite a common RTR thing - the W irons are a bit think of course so I trimmed off the detail and added some spare axlebox covers left over from a Parkside LNER hopper. The issue with this model is the brake levers. For some reason Oxford supply two levers with Morton clutches. that's simple to sort out, but should we have to? More pragmatically, I can readily forgive the provision of 'normal' lever guides with holes for a pin. The correct GER pattern with a ratchet doesn't really work in moulded plastic so I've replaced it with a modified Masokits etch for a GWR pattern guide. Job done, it's now in the painting queue.

Adam

EDIT: in one of those circular, inter forum references, there's a useful note on the type here: Oxford Rail ex-GER 10t covered wagon - Scalefour Forum (and yes, I was aware that AMBIS do the correct type of lever guide, but this is very likely to be the second, and last, GER type I'll ever build (reworking an Airfix Lowmac was the other!), so the rest of the etch would sit in the box of doom forever...

Last edited: