An RTR Gauge 3 loco ?

unklian

Western Thunderer
Has anyone had any dealings with/knowledge of Classics of Cleethorps ? They are offering on their website and in an announcement in Garden Rail magazine a RTR GWR 43XX 2-6-0 in Gauge 3. Priced at 2k seems quite reasonable, but I have to say the pic in Garden Rail looks a bit rough and unfinished.

unklian

Western Thunderer
I have stirred up the G3 rumour mill on the g3forum.org.uk and the informed guess is that it is Mike Danby's work. I have had no reply to an e-mail to Classics of Cleethorps as yet.

Picture here .. RTR GWR 43xx 2-6-0

unklian

Western Thunderer
DSC00193.JPG DSC00195.JPG DSCF5156.JPG

More pictures, the words 'thrown' and 'together' spring to mind along with 'disappointing' perhaps ? Just check out that firebox ... In fairness it may be work in progress, but why show it in that state. The etchings may be OK too but the way it is assembled and the way the 'details' are fitted.

First two picture courtesy Ashley Wattam , the third from Classics .

Last edited:

adrian

Flying Squad
the informed guess is that it is Mike Danby's work.
Blimey is Mike still building stuff?? Assuming that there can only be one Mike Danby, I remember his work in 7mm from 30yrs ago. My Dad knew him well and we often seemed to end up painting his locos. He seemed to be able to shell out a loco, even a large pacific in a week, the standard of work looks typical for Mike. As with everything you get what you pay for.

warren haywood

Western Thunderer
i think that is coming to me for painting and lining into BR green, although I can't remember if I agreed to do it or not:confused:
I've also got a commission to from a client later this year for two Armstrong 4-4-0's one an MOK in 7mm and another in G3, can't wait to get stuck into that one. I think that's as big as I want to go though,