7mm BR NE Plate and Angle SIgnal

richard carr

Western Thunderer
The main thing I have been working on recently has been an etch for BR NE plate and angle signal.
The book Constructing and Operating Semaphore Signals has some nice drawings of one and has been the main source of dimensions etc. Sadly there are not that many photos around of them so on my next trip north I will be looking out for some.

Here is the etch one sheet of A5 in 10 thou brass

IMG_0963.JPG

IMG_0964.JPG

Fortunately this is a test build as just looking at the etch I could see a fair few errors although I was sure there were none when I sent it off. The most glaring being the post returning in 4 pieces when I planned it to be 2 ! How did I miss that.
The signal castings are too fine and some of the tabbing has created a few problems.

The first step is to build the post. As I said above it should have been in 2 pieces that fold at 90 degrees. There are then two plates fitted inside the post that line everything up. I also included some holes on both sides of the post to help with alignment, but building has revealed that these are waste of time and a third alignment plate would be better idea.

IMG_0965.JPG

Although making it from 4 pieces is a bit trickier it has gone together ok.

IMG_0966.JPG

IMG_0967.JPG

It even stands up upside down so it must be reasonably square.

IMG_0968.JPG
You can see the lower alignment plate here, the whole is so you can pass a wire up the middle to light the lamp/s

IMG_0969.JPG

I have now added all the extra plating round the sides that give these posts their distinctive look

Attachments

• IMG_0970.JPG
    IMG_0970.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0971.JPG
    IMG_0971.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0972.JPG
    IMG_0972.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0973.JPG
    IMG_0973.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 16

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Lovely Job Richard, if it's pictures you want then Mick Nicholson (micknich2003 ) is the man you need to speak to.i'm sure he'll be more than happy to help,

ATB Mick

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Here are some more pictures of the post. I'm beginning to think though that half etching all the plates and using 20 thou brass would have been a better idea.
IMG_0970.JPG IMG_0971.JPG IMG_0971.JPG
IMG_0971.JPG

IMG_0973.JPG

I have to say that adding the plates took over an hour and was pretty boring. I started soldering them but soon turned to super glue.

Once the post was done though it started to go together very quickly

IMG_0974.JPG

I have now added the 2 main support angles and the first of the Z angles that support the main deck.
The 2 pieces of wire are to locate the Z angle in position.

IMG_0975.JPG

IMG_0977.JPG
Now I have added the bracket support, the rest of the Z angles and the main deck

IMG_0978.JPG

IMG_0981.JPG

IMG_0980.JPG

Jon Fitness

Western Thunderer
That looks rather wonderful! I have never built one of these plate and angle jobs but they do look geometrically difficult. You look to have captured the look and proportions very nicely. I'd definately be after a few if they are available!:thumbs:
Jon F.

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Thanks John those are some kind words, but there is still a lot to do to turn it into a working signal.

The etches need a fair bit of work to make the assembly easier and correct the errors I have found, only then will I make them available to others.

Richard

micknich2003

Western Thunderer
A few prototype pictures, and selected at random. If anyone wants further details, just ask. Mick.

Attachments

• P&A BRACKET 1.jpg
    P&A BRACKET 1.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 14
  • PLATE and ANGLE Bracket new 1958 3.jpg
    PLATE and ANGLE Bracket new 1958 3.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 16
  • P&A BRACKET SPRINGBANK NORTH.jpg
    P&A BRACKET SPRINGBANK NORTH.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 14

Jon Fitness

Western Thunderer
I see mention of half etching. Not sure which bits you are suggesting but one of my main gripes with the MSE LMS welded stem bracket kit is the way the main post is half etched with the plates as full thickness. For what it's worth personally I would prefer it kept full thickness and add the plate overlays with my RSU. (please!)
Cheers
JF