Brush Type 4 / Class 47 wheels from S7 Group

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
By being a member of the S7 group our subscriptions fund the production of specific components for our modelling standards. Having access to S7 wheels is one of the benefits of membership. Why not join us?

Ian.

Thanks Ian,

Was just checking as wasn't quite sure. I may well sign up :)

Cheers

Tom

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
As of last weekend, there were just eighteen axles-worth (or enough for three engines) left from the initial production run so you know what to do if you are thinking of buying a JLTRT kit for the BT4 / Cl.47.

OK @tomstaf ?

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Are they any good for other Class 47 kits? Or only JLTRT?
Good question David. There are probably two aspects to this point, axle diameter and overall width of wheelset.

The S7 Group wheels use the Slater's S7 axle which is 3/16" diameter with a square end, hence the S7 wheel can be fitted to any Slater's axle with the corresponding square end (S7 or FS). The use of a 3/16" diameter axle goes with the territory of the standard GoG top hat bushes for loco frames and those bushes are included in the JLTRT kits.

The S7 wheels are produced with a tyre width of (scale) 5 1/2 " so if there is room between the bogie frames then the wheels ought to fit. However, I have had no opportunity to see how the S7 Group wheelset fits with diesel kits generally so caveat emptor.

How else can I assist you?

Michael D

Western Thunderer
Morning all,
A general question regarding diesel bogies and s7?
Going to be dabbling in my first diesel kit as a reaction to all things ancient!
Is it considered best to spring the axleboxes or build rigid? what do people do in s7?
Thanks for your thoughts
Michael

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Michael,
The convention in UK 0-scale is to have bogies with internal functional frame and hang the bogie frames on the outside as cosmetic parts. This applies equally to kits and r-t-r.
In the US and Europe, most of the 2-rail locos have functional bogies, usually sprung and made from cast brass or machined parts. In this case the drive can be axle-hung, perhaps using a shaft drive and occasionally miniature traction motors.
R-t-r in the US has now defaulted to individually driven bogies with rigid functional inners; bogie frames are usually die cast for weight, but wholly cosmetic.
@Yorkshire Dave is currently working in P48 (the US equivalent of S7) and has locos with sprung inner bogies and rigid inner bogies. I've got locos in build with shaft drive and cast bogies, which look and run really well. It would also allow things like rotating bearing caps, should they be needed.
I've also got a couple of UK diesel mechanisms with external functional bogies and shaft drive as far as the design stage.
A builder of your calibre probably wouldn't worry too much about producing a functional bogie in 7mm scale; all the detail can still be lifted from a kit if you want to go this route.
Steph

20180622_183206.jpg
Red Caboose GP9 kit chassis with PD Hobbies trucks and drive. Top as standard, lower as Dale-ised (ball races, higher quality chain and sprockets, 3d printed gearboxes).

djparkins

Western Thunderer
A builder of your calibre probably wouldn't worry too much about producing a functional bogie in 7mm scale; all the detail can still be lifted from a kit if you want to go this route.
Steph

Steph

I hope that comment does not actually mean what it could be appearing to say?!

Regards

DJP/MMP

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
I hope that comment does not actually mean what it could be appearing to say?!

David,

I think means exactly what I expected it to say! Even as a kit manufacturer myself it would seem perverse to me if I expected people to buy or make new versions of components already in a kit that had been purchased fairly, just because they wanted a version with new bogies, or chassis or whatever? It would seem entirely fair to me if Michael wanted to use the parts in the kit he's purchased, just in a different way - I would do the same.

Is that not what you're suggesting?

Steph

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Or do as Pugsley has done with his S7 class 37.... six axle hung traction motors, covered in MRJ (I think).

Oh yes - indeed so! Again, a functional outside bogie would be required...
Functional traction motors are available off the shelf from a number of sources, not least ABC and NWSL.

Steph

Last edited:

Michael D

Western Thunderer
Thanks everyone, ive just found the blog on rmweb, I say!!!!
Im getting into this now, rather like the idea of making a diesel and Class 37 was the thought,ive always had a soft spot for them.
So basically, some form of sprung bogie is the preference and most kits can be adapted somehow to do this :)
food for thought......
Michael

djparkins

Western Thunderer
David,

I think means exactly what I expected it to say! Even as a kit manufacturer myself it would seem perverse to me if I expected people to buy or make new versions of components already in a kit that had been purchased fairly, just because they wanted a version with new bogies, or chassis or whatever? It would seem entirely fair to me if Michael wanted to use the parts in the kit he's purchased, just in a different way - I would do the same.

Is that not what you're suggesting?

Steph

Steph,

Yes - that it is fine, of course.

But that is not how your post read to me. It read as if to mean that it would be OK to 'lift' [or copy] the parts from any given kit to make bogies for another project completely and to produce them.

DJP/MMP

Brian McKenzie

Western Thunderer
. . . . Dale-ised (ball races, higher quality chain and sprockets

Steph,
Who produces the higher quality chain and sprockets? I wouldn't have been surprised if all sold variously had originated from the same source, but if there is a superior manufacturer, then I'd be grateful to learn who.
Thanks, Brian