Prototype Class 31 Details

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
Hi,

I crawled all over 31 438 last week taking detail shots and dimensions. Hope they are useful for those of you with the HJ 31 in mind;)
31438 1.jpg31438 2.jpg31438 3.jpg31438 4.jpg31438 5.jpg31438 6.jpg31438 7.jpg31438 8.jpg31438 9.jpg31438 9a.jpg31438 10.jpg31438 11.jpg31438 11a.jpg31438 12.jpg31438 13.jpg

Cheers

Tom

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
Thanks Tom, much appreciated!
I do think you've nailed the 'thing' that just throws the 'face' out a bit on the HJ 31 - the window 'shelf'.
I'm inclined to leave mine well alone - it's not of "Lima 4mm Western" proportions ;).... but also I don't trust myself to be able to accurately file it to the right angle:oops: - but if anyone does, it'd be interesting to see the difference it makes.

You're welcome Jordan. I think another thing that'll make a significant difference will be making the windscreens flush. They appear to be set back like 1980/90s 4mm models. I'm hoping it's just a case of sorting glazing, re-profiling the 'shelf', filing back the headcode panel a little, and beefing up the exhausts as well as extra details to make it look more 31 like. Time will tell when mine arrives next week. What is the measurement of the 'shelf'' please?

Cheers

Tom

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Lazer cut glazing sets would be great in 7mm :cool:

For my Heljan's I cut the individual windows off the glazing strip & fettled them to sit flush & I made my own windscreens to get rid of the prism effect.

Phill :)

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Here's a couple of pic's from my files that may be of use Guy's. Stratford based loco's of coarse:D

Col.
View attachment 18311View attachment 18312
Mmm bona fida 'toffee apple' too, interesting blue loco, looks like one of the very early ones in chromatic blue, I have only ever seen one other photo of this colour on D5218 (class 25) in Derby works and have for years thought it was a printing colour error but clearly not.

Note both types of handrail present and straight is not always indicative of a 31/0, many more have straight rails but generally it'll be all straight or all curved, later many locos had one of each at each end.

Colin your a wicked man, this drip feeding of GER early diesels is getting harder to resist :thumbs: , your not from the Borg are you? Just now researching to see if toffee apples ever worked Tinsley or Wath areas LOL.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Colin, have you got a picture of a green un with full yellow ends and TOPS number ;)
I didn't think there were any green TOPS class 31 but Railblue.com suggests only 294 was green with TOPS for a short while, no idea of extent of yellow though. I've not got any in the images I have.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Colin your a wicked man, this drip feeding of GER early diesels is getting harder to resist :thumbs: , your not from the Borg are you? Just now researching to see if toffee apples ever worked Tinsley or Wath areas LOL.

The Borg? ....not of this world:D
Trouble is Green diesels is what I remember most as a youngster.

ATB, Col.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
The Borg? ....not of this world:D
Trouble is Green diesels is what I remember most as a youngster.

ATB, Col.
Indeed, their catch phrase is "resistance is futile" and on my nightly trawl of Flickr friends came across this shot!

8515729574_2b4c2a1325_b.png
Hi-Res R0024 by BarkingBill, on Flickr

This ticks every box, much as I like Blue/Yellow I also like green and the twin white stripes kick off these green locos a treat as does the small yellow panel and this one has just the right amount of grubbiness for me.

R

Russell Saxton

Mmm bona fida 'toffee apple' too, interesting blue loco, looks like one of the very early ones in chromatic blue, I have only ever seen one other photo of this colour on D5218 (class 25) in Derby works and have for years thought it was a printing colour error but clearly not.

No, this is D5578, experimentally painted blue in the early 60s (and later to revert to green). 'Chromatic' blue I believe to be a myth, if you compare a shot of a 'chromatic' blue and 'rail' blue loco, if you can find them side by side (I have a number) you can see it's an optical illusion caused by the small yellow panel, nothing more. The myth arises from the first blue western that, due to a different style of finishing, appeared to be a slightly turquoise shade.

R

Russell Saxton

I see LOL, there's an extensive 31 green to blue froth here and I see no reference to TOPS green 31s in there at all so 294 may well be circumspect at best.

I do mention 31294 as the sole green TOPS 31. No doubt as to the authenticity of that loco, I have numerous sightings with dates. It was renumbered from 5827 on 16/2/74 and was admitted to Doncaster on 6th April so it ran for seven weeks in traffic, not much of a window for a photo.

As far as I know it was the only green TOPS 31. Some sources will offer you 31286 but I listed it as a 'probable' in my article on green TOPS diesels in Rail Express http://railexpress.wordpress.com/2007/08/01/welcome-to-the-computer-age/ and have since been able to disprove it as I have a photo of 5818 in Doncaster Works in April 1974 under overhaul.

As I say in the article, I freely admit I may have missed one but I've studied this stuff for well over 30 years and you'd suppose I'd have heard by now. But I find new stuff all the time and every time I think i've got the definitive database of green to blue livery changes I find something else. Best recent turnup was blue with yellow panels class 24, D5026 which was only a rumour till I was sent a photo!