7mm Corwen Road

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Great stuff Dave. Thanks for uploading the pictures.

Hi Andy P., how's your layout coming along?

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The GWR choc & cream Auto Trailer was nationalized today! Droplights on the glazing were re-coloured using Humbrol matt red darkenned to match the carmine red finish (I did this for my previous 0 gauge trailer).....
WEB auto trailer 1.jpg

After removing the roof, interior, glazing and bogies, the body was given a light coat of Halfords grey Plastic primer. Then it was sprayed with my mix of carmine red (cellulose) that is used of customers coaches. While wet, the body was blown over with Ford Rosso Red to give me the shade I wanted....
WEB Auto trailer 2.jpg

PPC Dirty Black well thinned was let into the panels where it gathered under the raised beading and around fittings. The chassis and roof were sprayed matt black followed by my weathering colour...
WEB Auto trailer 3.jpg

Ready for action on Chester or Ruabon - Bala trains
WEB Auto trailer 4.jpg

Varnished with Halford matt lacquer....
WEB Auto trailer 5.jpg

Last edited:

Andy P

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry, New Mills is all done bar the small details, like painting seats, fitting AWS Boxes etc, I'll up date with some new pics.

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Larry
Beautiful paint job on the auto trailer, as we expect. A couple of queries though. Wouldn't the non-driving end windows have been painted out in the body colour (or plated over) in the BR period? And the other one, did you consider removing the vertical panel beading below the waist to make it more accurate for the livery? I only know about this from reading Barry Norman's article in MRJ 221 and you may have decided the risk of damaging the body was more than accuracy was worth.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Larry
Beautiful paint job on the auto trailer, as we expect. A couple of queries though. Wouldn't the non-driving end windows have been painted out in the body colour (or plated over) in the BR period? And the other one, did you consider removing the vertical panel beading below the waist to make it more accurate for the livery? I only know about this from reading Barry Norman's article in MRJ 221 and you may have decided the risk of damaging the body was more than accuracy was worth.
Thanks for this. Plating over the guards end is a serious conversion on the Dapol model that entails removal of much detail that needs to go back undamaged afterwards. I took the decision to draw the line on this one and the same goes for the running number (I did not have a photo of a carmine panelled trailer to go off). As for the vertical beading below the waist, experience has told me that there is often a mark left despite ones efforts with the wet & dry. There are some things I can live with. :)
WEB Autotrailer End.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Got another building out of the way today, namely the bridge at the west end of the station complex. Working in 0 gauge gave me the opportunity to use Slaters embossed stonework for the first time, so the bridge was a good test piece. First of all though, five rows of Slaters embossed bricks were glued on a backing sheet to form an arch....
WEB Bridge 12.jpg

Embossed stone followed. I used a heatgun to remould the corners. I marked the position of the arch on the shed wall and then removed the wood with a jigsaw. The bridge then slotted into the hole its full length so that the bridge front is low-relief...
WEB Bridge 13.jpg

Side walls followed and the whole structure was left in place to harden off ready for painting tomorrow. Some trees will have to hide the obvious miss-match with the backscene...
WEB Bridge 14.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Completed bridge amid a higher hillside. This head-on view is only available to the camera fortunately

WEB Bridge 16.jpg

One cannot build things with a camera and yet it is one of the most essential tools in modeling. I took scores of photos in between changes to get this corner looking half-way decent. The signal box is now the only major building yet to be constructed ...
WEB Bridge 17.jpg

Last edited:

Andy P

Western Thunderer
Looking very good Larry, and pleased to see your Shed looks in slightly better condition than the prototype.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
A start has been made on the GWR signalbox. As usual it is a RailModels kit (based on the box at Pewsey). Andy Pearce very kindly 'cut' a RH steps end for me but as there wasn't a RH wall for the opposite end, I decided to build the kit as it is intended. Several boxes had their steps NOT facing the station platforms, and so there is a precedent........
WEB Signalbox 27.jpg

Floor joists.....These kits have lots of detail even if it wont be seen.....
WEB Signalbox 28.jpg

There was no ridge board in the kit so i made one from two long matches....
WEB Signalbox 29.jpg

The roof was then glued to the ridge board and the five roof trusses while making sure it was still removable...
WEB Signalbox 30.jpg

Last edited:

Richard

I'm sure I' ve read quite recently that preferred practice with signal box steps was to have them facing the direction of travel, so that any person descending the steps could see if there was traffic approaching.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Box completed today. I made thicker window sills to replace the ones in the kit, but that's about all....
WEB Signalbox 31.jpg

This evening it is in primer. Actually the roof, steps and window frames are separate items to make spraying easier. The wooden steps are very fragile, but I'll see how long they last on the layout before looking at making replacements.....
WEB Signalbox 32.jpg

simond

Western Thunderer
Larry,

Plastruct do a reasonable staircase. Notionally 1/48, but entirely believable in 1/43.5 imo.

image.jpg

Looks like it’s moved, there shouldn’t be a gap where it meets the building :(

Atb
Simon