Foam

Western Thunderer
Hi All,

I have a big plastic sack of foam, offve a sofa maker. I want to make a foam cradle for working on the underneath of wagons, loco's & coaches in 7mm.

Does anybody know the best way to stick the foam together, to be strong enough to carry the weight of a loco.

Answers please :thumbs:

Steve :cool:

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Hot glue I believe works best, Evostick multipurpose impact adhesive (spray or tin) will probably work very well, my mate uses it to glue Depron to make model aircraft and that's a kind of foam (fast food cartons etc) Its the one where you spread on and wait to dry and then push the pieces together, or you could use carpet glue from a spray can, the one that foams up slightly, works the same way as Evostick, spray, wait till dry or tacky and then fix together, most are safe on most foams.

Be careful with foam, some adhesives can attack it and make it melt and the fumes can be seriously harmful, though most modern furniture foam has to comply with stricter fire and fume regulations, but it always pays to be extra careful.

Andrew Campbell

Western Thunderer
3M Craft Mount was used on the S7 roundy roundy to stick (a) the foam to the (painted) baseboards and (b) the Templot paper templates to the foam. No sign of it coming adrift yet (i.e. after 18 months). That foam also came from a sofa maker!:)

Western Thunderer
3M Craft Mount was used on the S7 roundy roundy to stick (a) the foam to the (painted) baseboards and (b) the Templot paper templates to the foam. No sign of it coming adrift yet (i.e. after 18 months). That foam also came from a sofa maker!:)

Cheers Guys.

I'm gonna check all out.

What about polystyrene to polystyrene ?. & then foam onto polystyrene ?.

Steve :cool: