Great Bunbury, a Shropshire light railway terminus circa 1905

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
Hi everyone,

welcome to my second thread on WT!

Great Bunbury is the second of my recently-started micro layouts, and will Col Stephens-esque light railway set in Shropshire. I'll be aiming for the "newly-minted" look, before all the hopes of the promoters are crushed and decay sets in seriously. I initially considered it as a fictional branch of the Shropshire & Montgomeryshire in the same vein as Ruyton Road, but I'm now leaning more towards a separate completely fictional company which may or may not be part of the good Colonel's empire.

Why Great Bunbury? Well, its a joke name to be honest. Although I'm actually not fond of joke names per se, this is a little nod to Oscar Wilde's "The Importance of being Earnest". In the play, Ernest's friend Algernon tries to discover where Ernest's country estate is located, asking, "Shropshire is your County, isn't it?" When Ernest denies this, Algernon replies, "I thought not - I've 'Bunbury'd' all over Shropshire several times". Bunbury is an invaluable fictional friend of Algernon's, supposedly a perpetual invalid who always has a relapse whenever Algernon is asked to do something he wishes to avoid doing.

Anyway, the baseboard is a laser-cut ply kit from Grainge & Hodder, this one being one of their standard kits. The overall size of the scenic area is the same as Newton Lane at 1.2m long x 0.4m wide, and of course there is the 0.6m long fiddle yard board which the two layouts will share.

The trackwork has been a major delaying factor in that I want to use a light-section flat-bottomed rail, and as I didn't want to try my hand at point building yet, I outsourced the point work. Plain track I'm going to have a go myself using MicroEngineering Code 55 rail with a mixture of copper-clad and strip wood sleepers. At the moment I'm constructing the basic scenery, so I'll also set myself up with a flat surface and some Templot printouts and have a bash at some points. I really want to include a point with interlaced timbering, as that has a really "light railway" feel to it.

Following a great deal of soul-searching, brought about by the appearance of PECO's bullhead OO track, and given my perpetual slowness at building anything, I decided to go down the OO route in the hope of getting something finished before I get too much older.

Locos will have to be kit-built, and so far I've got RT Models kit for their Manning Wardle Old Class I 0-6-0ST. These Mannings were beloved of Col Stephens and I expect an RT Class K will be along soon. I feel there should be a third loco, probably a hireling from a main line company for which there are a number of candidates!

Now that I'm going down the OO route, the loco roster will be based around suitable RTR offerings, at least in the shorter term. This approach will help to factor out another variable in getting something running: my ability or otherwise to build a square chassis! If and when I do get round to building locos, I can think again about track gauge. Rolling stock will be largely kit built, and although I haven't decided on the sources yet there may be a CamRys flavour.

Here is a pic of the baseboard amid the detritus of my hobby room, with the core of the platform and the Templot track print out:
IMG_4770.JPG

As you can see, it couldn't be a lot simpler! The track "bed" is built up from layers of 5mm foam board, as is the basic platform. The platform itself is on two levels such as could be found on the Shropshire & Montgomeryshire, the passenger bit being lower. There will be a cattle pen and maybe a small goods store on the raised section of the platform, with a carriage loading dock at the end. This accounts for the "reversed" engine release. A small goods shed will be on the single siding

The "landscaped" bit at the left-hand end at the front will become a small, reedy river bed. There maybe two or three willows on its banks to help disguise the scenic break, which will be an abandoned canal aqueduct, partly washed away by the river at some time when it was in spate. The aqueduct will be inspired by the Vyrnwy Aqueduct on the Montgomeryshire Canal; this canal had dreadful problems with its aqueducts as they were built on soft ground and were prone to failing and even collapse. I've been doing a bit of research into canal structures, and its fascinating how the engineers attempted to overcome the difficulties they faced with the technology available to them.

Not much to look at as yet, but hopefully there'll be something interesting happening soon!

Cheers for now,
Mark

EDIT - to reflect change from EM to OO

Last edited:

Northroader

Western Thunderer
Looks good, a promising start, and I’m particularly intrigued by the way you’ve built up layers of foam board, which should give a nice variation in surface levels. Have you come across the old canal aqueduct at Longden?

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
Looks good, a promising start, and I’m particularly intrigued by the way you’ve built up layers of foam board, which should give a nice variation in surface levels. Have you come across the old canal aqueduct at Longden?
Many thanks, that's very kind of you :)

I'm quite new to using foam board, but I'm very pleased with the results so far. It's very good for the formers for a more rolling landscape, light and strong and easily cut, trimmed and carved. I'm also finding it good for the shells of buildings - cutting out window and door apertures is a doddle!

Longden is a familiar name, so I think I must have come across the aqueduct when I was looking for ideas. I'll have to refresh my memory!

Cheers,
Mark

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Nice plan, but is that a platform at the back? If so, is the crossover or loco release the wrong way round? Asking for a friend... ;)

Edit:- sorry, I didn't read John's comment posted 13 mins before mine, making the same observation. :oops:

Last edited:

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
Mark, you may have a specific reason for it but generally a release cross-over would run the other way. Might be worth checking.

John

Nice plan, but is that a platform at the back? If so, is the crossover or loco release the wrong way round? Asking for a friend... ;)
Hi chaps,

Many thanks for your posts - simply, I felt it "worked" better visually that way. Plus I wanted the cattle pen and a goods store on the main platform and it seemed the best way to provide enough "siding" space.

I realise that it's at best an unusual arrangement; although I'm sure I've seen a prototype for it, I can't for the life of me remember where! I'll see if I can find it..... The post-preservation West Somerset at Minehead doesn't really count :)

I can always invoke Rule One :D it's a light railway so (almost) anything goes.....

Cheers,
Mark

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
Hi again,

I knew I'd seen one or two prototype layouts with the cross-over "reversed" - the one I found most easily was for Lynton:
1662578065638.jpeg
Sorry its a model layout rendition, but you get the idea.

I spent some time starting assembly of PECO LK-200 Wooden Station Building kit for Great Bunbury. Its a lovely little kit and it assembles beautifully. But.....don't hold it too tightly while the glue sets or you end up with this:
1662578606662.jpeg
Oops :(

Hopefully, there'll be some positive progress.....

Cheers,
Mark

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
A little Bunburying has seen the beginnings of the scenic break, the Bunbury Aqueduct:
1662838708535.jpeg
As mentioned above, this will be a disused aqueduct and its based on/inspired by the Vyrnwy Aqueduct on the Montgomeryshire Canal. The arches need their plinths and cutwaters, of course, and the internal structure of the aqueduct will be represented as well.

At the moment, its the full width of the baseboard. As you can see, the middle span is too narrow for the double track, so eventually the stone arch will be cut back either side and shored with brickwork. The half arch at the front will also be cut back to represent the ragged edge of the washed away portion.

I've also been doing a bit to the platform, the low level passenger part has been wood faced, while the raised goods part has been stone faced with good ol' Wills Dressed Stone.

Here is Daisy inspecting the progress:
1662839167131.jpeg

And a mock-up of the goods store and cattle pen area:
1662839247443.jpeg

Thanks for looking in!

Cheers,
Mark

paulhb

Hi,
just back from hols and spotted this thread. Coming along nicely. Excuse my ignorance but what is the origin of the cattle wagon? Also have you thought about the fiddle yard arrangements and connections to the main board?
Looking forward to seeing the Mannings. I have an Impetus Kits Old Class I partially built and an RT Class K lurking in the unbuilt kits box. As for the ex mainline engine how about a Terrier?

Regards Paul

Stephen Freeman

Western Thunderer
Just a small point but the real Bunbury is located in Cheshire, yes there is a canal (Shropshire Union I think) nearby with lots of locks and the Crewe to Chester line is not too far away.

I cannot at the moment recall the name but it has featured in a second World War country series.

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
Hi,
just back from hols and spotted this thread. Coming along nicely. Excuse my ignorance but what is the origin of the cattle wagon? Also have you thought about the fiddle yard arrangements and connections to the main board?
Looking forward to seeing the Mannings. I have an Impetus Kits Old Class I partially built and an RT Class K lurking in the unbuilt kits box. As for the ex mainline engine how about a Terrier?

Regards Paul
To be honest, I haven't really thought much about the fiddle yard connection to the main board! The G&H boards come with alignment holes and reinforcing plates, so I'm thinking it'll be a simple job with alignment dowels and coachbolts. Electrical connection will be via a multi-pin plug.

The cattle wagon is a Bachmann RTR job. I haven't got a box for it, but 37-700A is the same thing in BR Bauxite. It was also available in LMS unfitted grey.

The Mannings I'm looking forward to, although I've never built an etched loco kit..... I've got a couple of High Level's chassis kits for Newton Lane's locos, so I'll probably start there!

The Terrier is a good idea, and plenty of prototypical precedent, too. Which is the "best" option, though? RTR body (whose?) with a new chassis, or a complete kit? Decisions!!!

Cheers,
Mark

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
Just a small point but the real Bunbury is located in Cheshire, yes there is a canal (Shropshire Union I think) nearby with lots of locks and the Crewe to Chester line is not too far away.

I cannot at the moment recall the name but it has featured in a second World War country series.
Thanks, Stephen, it looks like I've been unwittingly rewriting history and geography! To be honest, I didn't even look for a Bunbury, I was thinking only about the Oscar Wilde play! I'll be having a look at the real place on Google, but my fiction is staying put in Shropshire!

All the best,
Mark

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
Planking the passenger part of the platform in progress, using 3mm x 1.5mm obeche strip wood cut into 40mm (10ft) lengths.
Funny thing: the other day when I was out, someone I'd never met before called me a planker. Turns out they were right!
1f60a.png
At least, I think that's what they said.....
1f914.png

FB_IMG_16653394993150516.jpg

Cheers,
Mark

Last edited:

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
I've spent some time over the last few days working on the platform for Great Bunbury, completing the planking and adding some stains to tint the wood. I've also added DAS clay to the raised goods and cattle pen section.

However, although I've proved to myself the effectiveness of the wooden platform, overall I'm not happy with the results. I've decided to begin again with this aspect of the layout, and there are a few reasons for this.

More care is needed, especially in keeping glue off the surfaces. The core needs to be painted a dark colour before starting planking. The platform surface must be done before the vertical face to prevent a massive step.

I'm not convinced the DAS has any advantage over my filler/PVA mix, and it is significantly heavier.

IMG_20220917_131313994.jpg

IMG_20220917_131301046_HDR.jpg
Thanks for stopping by!

Probably, and I might give it a go if only to satisfy my curiosity. But overall, I'm not "quite" happy with it so another go is very likely.

Cheers,
Mark
if you decide to persevere with using real wood you could try dunking the cut pieces in wood dye and let dry before glueing. Painting the base would help and a light sand i think is essential.But at 1:76 scale the trouble is the grain of even the finest grained woods is probably a bit much. Lime strip might be better if you can find a good supplier. (I currently use Mantua Models in Windsor -I spend a lot of my professional life making 1/12th scale parquet floors, the grain of which I can just about get away with).

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
if you decide to persevere with using real wood you could try dunking the cut pieces in wood dye and let dry before glueing. Painting the base would help and a light sand i think is essential.But at 1:76 scale the trouble is the grain of even the finest grained woods is probably a bit much. Lime strip might be better if you can find a good supplier. (I currently use Mantua Models in Windsor -I spend a lot of my professional life making 1/12th scale parquet floors, the grain of which I can just about get away with).
Hi Robert,

Many thanks for your reply - I think pre-staining is a good idea, that and being less generous with the glue! I'm quite pleased with the effect overall and I think the technique bears pursuing.

I've had reservations about using real wood to represent scale wood for that very reason, the grain. However, it can be very difficult to get "right" using styrene or even card. You're absolutely right about using wood with the finest available grain, and I was going to try Lime from Cornwall Model Boats but I'll also have a look at Mantua Models as well.

Thanks again and best regards,
Mark