Hatcham Servicing depot

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi all,

having made reference to my new layout on another thread and then reading the 'Main' board, I see that I should be starting a thread here for the layout.

So, it will be 'inner urban' with a main line running on an arched brick viaduct (this will also act as a test track for new locos, albeit just a straight 14' run) the period will be 70s to 90s. Initially it will be DC powered but wired up to be an instant conversion to DCC when funds permit.

[attachment=0:2279b6p6]Crofton CCE 01.05.10.jpg[/attachment:2279b6p6]

I have Peco point motors on my old layout and as there are only 4 points on the new one, I will probably go for Tortoise and use the built in power switching.

I am currently building an Agenoria 0-6-2t - the ex PD&SW Earl of Mount Edgcomb which hopefully will provide the funds for the conversion to DCC when completed.

Updates to follow - shortly.

regards

Mike

Attachments

• Crofton CCE 01.05.10.jpg
    Crofton CCE 01.05.10.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 340
  • Crofton CCE 01.05.10.jpg
    Crofton CCE 01.05.10.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 347

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
O Gauge - Crofton CCE Depot

the best laid plans...................

having stripped off the existing track from the baseboards and loose laid the points down for the above plan, I realised that there was no run-round facility so it was back to the drawing board and I came up with this plan

[attachment=0:1i3dvnmd]Crofton CCE 19.05.10.jpg[/attachment:1i3dvnmd]

Having the 'main line' at the back will hopefully give a sense of depth and there is always the possability to turn the whole thing through 180 degrees and see everything from a different perspective.

I've now laid/relaid the track, everything works fine so I have started ballasting - so no turning back now :thumbs:

regards

Mike

Attachments

• Crofton CCE 19.05.10.jpg
    Crofton CCE 19.05.10.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 306
  • Crofton CCE 19.05.10.jpg
    Crofton CCE 19.05.10.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 303

marsa69

Western Thunderer

Nice plan. I was going to say that if the mainline goes at the back of the board then put it on top of an embankment. If it goes at the front of the board then put it at the bottom of an embankment. Just an idea mind you :D

lancer1027

Western Thunderer

Hi Mike, Yes i agree very nice track plan. Lots of operating :thumbs:
Rob :wave:

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

Hi Guys,

this is my third attempt at replying - I am having problems maintaining an internet connection and BT are now booked to come out next Tuesday PM :thumbs: :thumbs:

many thanks for the comments and questions - suffice it to say that I am reintroducing the viaduct idea as the clearances required for the 'main line' on the level are just not there - see photos - the MEAs are on the 'main line'

[attachment=0:2olhcnkh]IMG_0948.JPG[/attachment:2olhcnkh]

[attachment=1:2olhcnkh]IMG_0949.JPG[/attachment:2olhcnkh]

[attachment=2:2olhcnkh]IMG_0945.JPG[/attachment:2olhcnkh]

[attachment=3:2olhcnkh]IMG_0944.JPG[/attachment:2olhcnkh]

Hopefully will finish the ballasting today once I've realighned the siding and give further thought to the viaduct and general 'buildings' requirements ready for a spend up at Halifax :thumbs:

regards

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_0944.JPG
    IMG_0944.JPG
    274.9 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_0945.JPG
    IMG_0945.JPG
    253.3 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_0949.JPG
    IMG_0949.JPG
    233.5 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_0948.JPG
    IMG_0948.JPG
    261.9 KB · Views: 273

Barnaby

Western Thunderer

Hello Ressaldar
What drawing package did you use to produce your plan with, was it Templot?
Thanks

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

Hi Barnaby,

no, it' s Winrail v9 (v10 is now out). I have been using it for over ten years and has all the recognised gauge/scale trackage systems and is updated as far as that is concerned quite regularly.

You have the ability to 'mix and match say Peco with Marcway and I've even added a Fleischmann HO turntable to some O gauge plans that I've drawn.

see www.winrail.com (Span Software in Warrington) for further information.

It's great fun and easy to use.

regards

Mike

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer

Ressaldar said:
... I've even added a Fleischmann HO turntable to some O gauge plans that I've drawn.
:shock: That really does beg the obvious question......

Why..??? :scratch:
confused0024.gif

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

obvious answer - because there is no turntable available in any of the O Gauge libraries :headbang:

[attachment=0:el6c5x6r]Brassey Street CCE Depot & MPD.jpg[/attachment:el6c5x6r]

and it works :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

regards

Mike

Attachments

• Brassey Street CCE Depot & MPD.jpg
    Brassey Street CCE Depot & MPD.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 237

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer

Ressaldar said:
obvious answer - because there is no turntable available in any of the O Gauge libraries :headbang:
Ah, I see... time for a "D'oh!" moment... :oops: :oops: :oops:
I was imagining an O scale layout with an HO-size turntable on it... duuuuhh!! :? :oops: :rolleyes: :shit:

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

Hi Jordan,

but it might have been a dual gauge line :laugh:

Looking forward to seeing the 14 completed.

regards

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
O Gauge - Crofton CCE and Parcels Depot

Hi all,

it seems that my last post on here earlier this evening, is lost in the clear blue yonder, but suffice it to say that 'her in doors' has given planning permission for a personnal door into the rear of the garage so that I will not have to use the up and over.

With that in mind, I have redrawn Crofton

[attachment=0:3nta8249]Willows End survey plan 19.06.10.jpg[/attachment:3nta8249]

and a trip to B&Q tomorrow to take full advantage of the Codgers Club discount card will see me ordering the door so watch this space :thumbs:

regards

Mike

Attachments

• Willows End survey plan 19.06.10.jpg
    Willows End survey plan 19.06.10.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 77

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
O Gauge - Crofton CCE and Parcels Depot

Hi Guys,

now two months down the line from the last posting on the layout and needless to say, much has happened. The door was ordered and duly delivered and then things went a bit downhill, suffice it to say that I have had to rethink my modelling future and as a result, have amongst other things, redrawn (many times) the layout and hopefully have now come up with an achievable solution in all respects.

My son-in-law gave up some of his holiday this week to provide the muscle for the installation of the door and with it now safely installed, I have started the lengthy clean-up operation, which hopefully will be completed before next week-ends trip to Telford.

So here is the state of play as of this afternoon

[attachment=4:vda6ff6g]IMG_1218.JPG[/attachment:vda6ff6g]
general view of the instalation

[attachment=3:vda6ff6g]IMG_1220.JPG[/attachment:vda6ff6g]
View through the new doorway

[attachment=2:vda6ff6g]IMG_1221.JPG[/attachment:vda6ff6g]
View back along where the layout will go

[attachment=1:vda6ff6g]IMG_1222.JPG[/attachment:vda6ff6g]
The workbench believe it or not, was covered by a dustsheet, is at the righthand side

and the revised layout (very very Minories inspired)

[attachment=0:vda6ff6g]Poll Hill parcels depot V4 29.08.10.jpg[/attachment:vda6ff6g]

Further reports in due course.

regards

Mike

Attachments

• Poll Hill parcels depot V4 29.08.10.jpg
    Poll Hill parcels depot V4 29.08.10.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1222.JPG
    IMG_1222.JPG
    234.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1221.JPG
    IMG_1221.JPG
    308.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1220.JPG
    IMG_1220.JPG
    309 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1218.JPG
    IMG_1218.JPG
    358 KB · Views: 59
  • Poll Hill parcels depot V4 29.08.10.jpg
    Poll Hill parcels depot V4 29.08.10.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1222.JPG
    IMG_1222.JPG
    234.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1221.JPG
    IMG_1221.JPG
    308.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1220.JPG
    IMG_1220.JPG
    309 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1218.JPG
    IMG_1218.JPG
    358 KB · Views: 59

28ten

Guv'nor
O Gauge - Poll Hill Parcels Depot

As I said, I know how messy the grinder is :headbang: is the garage door sealed?

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

Hi Cynric,

no, I've left it locked and 'as is/was' just in case - knowing my luck.

regards

Mike

28ten

Guv'nor

Ressaldar said:
Hi Cynric,

no, I've left it locked and 'as is/was' just in case - knowing my luck.

regards

Mike
Couldnt you put up a bit of studding and some insulation? it would be dead easy to knock out if necessary. must be a bit chilly otherwise

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

Hi Cynric,

I could do, but I think that the advantage of having it as a permanent 'ventilator', especially with regard to some of the odours that we have to tolerate, outweigh the need for heating in the winter. I had thought of doing it, but the thought of installing an extract fan through these bricks was enough to put me off - it took the plumbers over two hours to core drill through the cavity wall when installing the new boiler when we moved in - and they were using the proper tools. I will see how things go over this winter.

regards

Mike

lancer1027

Western Thunderer

Hi Mike,
Your altered plans look great :thumbs: It's suprising how things have to be altered when you actually get the space worked out and start to measure and fill :headbang:
I will be watching this thread with interest :thumbs: Keep posting those pics. :thumbs:

Rob :wave:

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

Hi Rob,

as I have just replied on Cynric's thread, the daunting task is the 700' of scale 'retaining wall' or the like, along the back. Looking for suitable landscaping/architectural materials etc at Telford will make a change from just looking at loco/stock kits.

The 'cleaning up' operation will be continuing today and also thought given to the path/step arrangement outside. I'm hoping that I can utilise some of the brick panels that were cut out to form the door opening, but will need to get a mate round who has had at least four Weetabix for his breakfast to move them into position. If it can be done, it will save an awful lot of time, just needs some Terram fleece laid down with a suitable sand bed to lay the panels on - Simples :thumbs:

regards

Mike