Hello to all.

Nick Dunhill

Western Thunderer
Hello to all.

I am Nick Dunhill and I may already know some of you fellow 7mm modellers from Gauge 0 Guild shows. I am a member of the Technical Committee and attend most Guild shows on the Modeller's Helpdesk. At Guildex I run the Modelling Competition and can often (not) be seen under the table counting ballot papers.

I served my time in 4mm building many loco kits, but when I built my first 7mm engine I was hooked. That was back in the mid-90s, and I have been building locomotives since then.

My grandfather worked at the Plant as a painter, and often sneaked me in to see anything significant that was there, Blue Peter, Flying Scotsman, Mallard etc. so it's LNER/Eastern Region for me!

I am from Rotherham (live now in Sheffield) and as a youngster would train spot around the Kilnhurst, Swinton and Wath areas, so my main area of interest is the Woodhead route (still an operating electric line in those days.) I completed the western end of that route in the 80s when as a PhD student at the now defunct UMIST, my laboratory window overlooked Manchester Piccadilly station and I would go home on those rickerty 506 Manchester Glossop and Hadfield EMUs (when the air operated doors would actually open!)

These days I mainly build commissions in 7mm so I go wherever the next job takes me. As I write this it's 3 Princesses, before that 2 LNER Garratts and next it's an Isle of Man Beyer-Peacock tank.

Outside of modelling I am a keen motorcyclist (Moto Guzzi if you're interested), and 17 years ago I gave up my (not very) glittering career as a chemist and opened a Vegetarian cafe in Sheffield. I can often be seen at Hillsborough watching the Owls (I blame my dad for not putting his foot down when I was a kid.)

If you are at a Guild Show, or in need of some vegetarian sustenance whilst in Sheffield, pop by and say hello, otherwise I will see you on this Forum.

Nick

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hello Nick

Nice introduction, and I hope you enjoy your stay with us. It's great to see modellers who push the boundaries, and I'm sure that a number of us will follow in your Princess steps!

Richard

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Hi Nick,

Nice to see another fellow member of the Technical Committee here. On a good day even Bob pops by...

Welcome to the forum,

Steph

S

SteveO

Hello Nick, nice to have a fellow LNER man on the forum. Dive in and post pictures!

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Hi Nick,

A very warm welcome to the forum also from the back of the class :thumbs: unless there is someone missing from the row in front on which i might try and "blag" the seat making people think im a better modeller than Jordan. ( I could be ahead anyway as he likes the dark side stuff ;)) .

Rob:).............................................running for cover.

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Welcome Nick,

As Rob and Steve say, great to see more LNER stuff on here :thumbs: Strangely my Dad worked at the Plant also and I was brought up not a million miles away. Although unfortunately steam was long gone so all I got to look at we're traction motors ! And talking GC one of my earliest memories is going to Conisbrough Station to photograph it an seeing a blue brush 4. Looking forward to watching your builds

ATB Mick

dibateg

Western Thunderer
I was gonna say you are not allowed on here Nick, your work is far too good, but your LNER heritage and vegetarian cafe have swung me back round!

Welcome! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Best regards

Tony