Hornby T9 improvements

Bagnall built

HI Guys ,

thought id ask here , does anybody know of a way of improving the hornby T9s , I've got one that's lovely but the front bogie seems to be its downfall ,

never seems to want to stay on the bloody track we throws its self off on peco streamline point work , ive just had the idea to check the back to backs but it does seem to run through the frog ok.

many thanks for any help /ideas .

simond

Western Thunderer
if you can take the bogie off the loco, does it trundle happily across various frogs without tripping up? If so, it’s almost certainly not the problem, though the minor effort in checking the btb will never be wasted.

Presumably the loco runs happily without the bogie.

if it’s not the bogie, and it’s not the loco, then I guess the bogie must be catching on something that is stopping it swinging properly.

Ben Alder

Western Thunderer
IIR, there were reports of the top of the pivot hitting the body after it was released. I have run several for years under CR bodies successfully but I replaced the Hornby wheels with Markits. Check the B2B as that can vary as well. Also make sure the pick up wipers are aligned properly as they can catch spokes if bent out of shape. HTH.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Place the loco on a flat surface. Push down on the chimney. Does the front dip and the cab rise? If not there's interference between the top of the bogie pivot and the underside of the smokebox. This raises the front driving wheels of the track and results in poor traction and derailments.

Bagnall built

Place the loco on a flat surface. Push down on the chimney. Does the front dip and the cab rise? If not there's interference between the top of the bogie pivot and the underside of the smokebox. This raises the front driving wheels of the track and results in poor traction and derailments.
Hi Chris , if anybody would be in the know its you , I will have a look tonight .

IIR, there were reports of the top of the pivot hitting the body after it was released. I have run several for years under CR bodies successfully but I replaced the Hornby wheels with Markits. Check the B2B as that can vary as well. Also make sure the pick up wipers are aligned properly as they can catch spokes if bent out of shape. HTH.
i will check the pivot .
if you can take the bogie off the loco, does it trundle happily across various frogs without tripping up? If so, it’s almost certainly not the problem, though the minor effort in checking the btb will never be wasted.

if it’s not the bogie, and it’s not the loco, then I guess the bogie must be catching on something that is stopping it swinging properly.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer

Hi Simon, the bogie on the T9s I have is permanently fixed to the chassis. The pin on the bogie top passes through a slot on the chassis. There's then a plastic collar which is glued or melted on to the pin. The problem comes if the collar isn't sufficiently pressed down on the pin. It clashes with the underside of the body.

Trimming the pin isn't recommended. Experience...

The solution I used was to cut a clearance hole in the underside of the body.